Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SmartWatch for Golf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

etxp wrote: »
    Arrived home this evening to a Birthday present from my GF on an Approach S62 with 3 sensors. Absolutely delighted with it so I am. Can’t wait to play in the morning now to test it out ☺️ Think she’s a keeper!!!

Nice!!

My birthday not till September and I did consider holding out then I realised my Mrs would probably end up ordering some version a casio watch she though was a bargain!!

Decided to celebrate Liverpool winning the league by treating myself so finally ordered mine tonight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Got the email for v3 today.

Checked if i could return thw v2 to amazon and i can so have ordered the v3

• Registered Users Posts: 27,797 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hoboo wrote: »
    V3 arrived. First impression was the size, it's tiny. And very neat. Strap has a double clasp so it's not budging, easy scrolling and sleek operation, very simple to set up on the app and plug the sensors in.

Inputting all your clubs was a bit of a pain, could be made easier by asking if your full set is the same brand etc, rather than enter each clubs details in full. Took maybe 7/8 minutes, nothing, just monotonous.

Played today, not looking forward to seeing some of the shots but I'll look for the good one first. Stats will be atrocious but a few that I hit perfectly can now give me my max distance.

Kept forgetting to stand by the pin to press the numbers of putts, just needs to become part of the routine........click watch/collect ball. There's an auto option but haven't read up on it yet. Was just following friends instructions on the course, and they have the v2.

Few of the yardages were out by a few yards sometimes vs the markers, and once I noticed it out by I reckon 30 yards. Going to send them an email anyhow, friends saying their customer support and updating courses is second to none.

Also there's no desktop app (yet I'd imagine) like V2 has lol, but once you upload your round to the app on your phone via Bluetooth, you get a url which brings you to your round (or something like that, haven't done it yet, and was reading last night)

It's only day one so still getting to grips with it but so far very happy. Maybe not so much when I see the stats.

Did it come with the tags as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Played a comp with my vivoactive 4s. First comp using it. As described above it offers basic distance and score tracking functions. Halfway through the round my playing partner told my the watch was illegal for tournament play - is it? I was pretty sure that it was okay but he was adamant that gui have outlawed use of GPS that track scores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Did it come with the tags as well?

It comes with new tags

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I have never heard this, and to be honest I don't care if it is. Tracking my score isn't helping me in the round, I do it in my head anyway so I don't see the difference. The S62 does have some features which I cannot use though, but there is a setting to switch it to tournament mode so none of these features are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

willabur wrote: »
    Played a comp with my vivoactive 4s. First comp using it. As described above it offers basic distance and score tracking functions. Halfway through the round my playing partner told my the watch was illegal for tournament play - is it? I was pretty sure that it was okay but he was adamant that gui have outlawed use of GPS that track scores

Can't see why they'd make tracking a score illegal. Sounds nonsensical.

Is the vivoactive 4 app the same as the 3?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Why would a watch that tracks your score be made illegal? If you can use a GPS device to tell distances, using a watch that does that and tracks scores gives absolutely no additional advantage. Sounds like he was talking out of his hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

He was probably thinking of the 'plays like' feature that some dedicated Garmin golf watches have, it's gives you distances adjusted for whether green is above or below your current position. I have it on my S60 but it has a competition mode which disables this feature. All other features are perfectly legal. I would guess the vivoactive 4s doesn't have competition mode because it doesn't have the plays like feature.

Edit: Actually just googled it and the 4s does have a tournament mode. The PinPointer feature is also not allowed in tournaments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

No it’s not illegal.

Any time someone questions something like this just ask them to point out the rule.

He was probably thinking of the 'plays like' feature that some dedicated Garmin golf watches have, it's gives you distances adjusted for whether green is above or below your current position. I have it on my S60 but it has a competition mode which disables this feature. All other features are perfectly legal. I would guess the vivoactive 4s doesn't have competition mode because it doesn't have the plays like feature.

Edit: Actually just googled it and the 4s does have a tournament mode. The PinPointer feature is also not allowed in tournaments.

S62 has a wind direction feature and a caddie feature too, I think they get switched off in tournament mode also

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

S62 has a wind direction feature and a caddie feature too, I think they get switched off in tournament mode also

I was thinking that, the wind feature sounds incredibly useful if it works well

ah there is tournament mode on the watch. Thanks for that

When I knock it off it stops giving me the direction to the pin (which i think is a pretty useless feature anyways). There is another setting called Club Prompt which I have toggled on and off but cannot see additional functions related to it

When I knock it off it stops giving me the direction to the pin (which i think is a pretty useless feature anyways). There is another setting called Club Prompt which I have toggled on and off but cannot see additional functions related to it

You say that, but have you ever had a super wild t-shot on a links course with large dunes and you have no idea where the green is? This feature would be brilliant for that kind of situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

AFAIK you can't use club prompt either for competition play. It's sound like the caddie feature which would prompt what club you should use based on distance and previous yardages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

You say that, but have you ever had a super wild t-shot on a links course with large dunes and you have no idea where the green is? This feature would be brilliant for that kind of situations.

Agree with this....i think its actually nearly more useful in a scenario where you have dense trees between you and the green (this is the only time i've bothered to use it myself) after a similarly wild tee shot. The difference being that at least with the dunes, more often than not, back in the day, you'd get your mate to stand at the top and give you a line....can't do that with trees, unless you're playing with a very skilled chimpanzee, like that one from the tarzan movies!

Another function that you'll lose with tournament play is the "plays like" function which can be handy on hilly courses....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Seve OB wrote: »
    No it’s not illegal.

Any time someone questions something like this just ask them to point out the rule.

could simply point to the scorecard you are holding to track scores....

Approach s62 just arrived and I process of setting up.

Playing tomorrow morning so interested to see how it goes

redzerdrog wrote: »

Enjoy! I think the stats it gives you is great. More you play the more you will learn I think. Hoping to get out tomorrow too.

Did you get any sensors?

• Advertisement

Yeh got the 3 so just have connected them to my putter, 52 and 56 degree wedges so looking forward to see how they work out

redzerdrog wrote: »

how did you find the watch? I have 2 rounds played with mine and am loving the stats I'm getting back from them.

What's peoples views on shot tracking, should I keep every shot or should I delete the very bad shots. for example I hit one drive 171, but this was a complete mi****, my average is up at 240, should I delete the 171 or keep all shots?

Similarly I hit a PW 157 total, I deleted this one as it was throwing my average up near my 8 or 9 iron distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Shotscopoe V3 now on general sale.

https://shotscope.com/ie/?utm_source=sendinblue

how did you find the watch? I have 2 rounds played with mine and am loving the stats I'm getting back from them.

What's peoples views on shot tracking, should I keep every shot or should I delete the very bad shots. for example I hit one drive 171, but this was a complete mi****, my average is up at 240, should I delete the 171 or keep all shots?

Similarly I hit a PW 157 total, I deleted this one as it was throwing my average up near my 8 or 9 iron distances.

Took me a few holes to figure it out. I had shot prompts turned off and couldn't figure out why it wasn't letting me log clubs! Once I figured it was pretty straight forward.

Iv never had a gps watch before and was so use to going to my bag for handheld devices but the watch is just so so handy!

I played the worst golf of my life and putted like a blind man but seeing the stats in front of you is an eye opener. I had 35 putts including 1 1 putt and 4 holes I didn't even get to putt on!!!!!

I don't think I will go down the route if deleting shots as I hope they will balance out. Also I play links golf with lots of punch shots or shots that the wind has an impact so just need to be careful when looking at the distances.

For example I hit 1 9 iron 182 yards (down hill and down wind) so my average for that club is now at 156 yards after 1 round. As shots accumulate those averages should even out. I do need to look into it more though

I found having the sensors on the putter a d wedges extremely handy. I am near tempted to get a full set but gona give it is few weeks before fully deciding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Going to bite the bullet and buy the v3. Had game golf for a while and loved looking at the stats but unfortunately forgot to tag more often than not. Have a fitness watch already so don't need garmin s62 features although they are impressive. Think v3 is right option for me

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

I bought a Shot Scope V3 a few weeks back on foot of a marketing email offering a reduced price. I've played 5 rounds with the watch and trackers active. It is an amazing piece of kit. Other than entering how many puts whilst standing besde the flag (so you can mark the pin position) there is no further need to interact with the watch on your round. I use meters and the device gives same distance as my Bushnell Tour V3 range finder. As I carry my bag I've decided to ditch the laser to save the weight. I like reviewing my round, the way it superimposes your shots onto GoogleMaps is great. It gives good insights into your game also, distances, accuracy around the greens, what your percentages are with clubs etc, the more rounds the more data and the more useful the information becomes. I would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

jamfer wrote:
    I bought a Shot Scope V3 a few weeks back on foot of a marketing email offering a reduced price. I've played 5 rounds with the watch and trackers active. It is an amazing piece of kit. Other than entering how many puts whilst standing besde the flag (so you can mark the pin position) there is no further need to interact with the watch on your round. I use meters and the device gives same distance as my Bushnell Tour V3 range finder. As I carry my bag I've decided to ditch the laser to save the weight. I like reviewing my round, the way it superimposes your shots onto GoogleMaps is great. It gives good insights into your game also, distances, accuracy around the greens, what your percentages are with clubs etc, the more rounds the more data and the more useful the information becomes. I would recommend.

Mine came in the post today. Can't wait to get out and use it in the Medal tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Re shot scope v3,

Does it miss any shots? Like playing a greenside chip or a chip out sideways under trees for example? Basically if you ain't doing a full swing

I've game golf, have the tagging engrained as part of the routine and find the auto detection works well when I do forget.

Be afraid of shot scope missing some shots altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Garmin must have been hacked. All their servers are down and have been for 2 days now. They must have a serious amount of info on their users.

• Advertisement

Picked up a v3.
    Have just played with it once so far and it was a practice session more than a round with plenty of mulligans thrown in there.

Took a long enough time to get GPS signal. Turned it on at first tee, had first hole complete by the time it had started

The screw for putter doesn't fit my stroke lab putter. Advice on their website is to glue the tag to the top of the club which is terrible advice. Especially if you want to compare performance of clubs.

It doesn't look great. It isn't touchscreen which is ok. Garmin design is streets ahead of it. Menu and user flows are not super intuitive. Really feel like I need to read the instructions (what the hell)

Good points are that it feels good on the wrist, ergonomically it's great for me.
    GPS seems accurate. Will play at least 5 rounds to see how it performs in the post round experience which I believe is where it really sets itself apart.

Oh and the not having to tag clubs is great

Advertisement