Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super League and all things European Rugby League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It's a bit sick that you could get relegated with 10 wins, whereas in other years that would have been enough to be 2 or 3 places clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,895 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Humongous game for the Broncos this evening. Heart says we'll do it, head says it'll be a bridge too far.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Broncos picked a bad day for a no show, back to the Championship. Hopefully they survive financially, its a nice little set up in Ealing. There's some good teams in that league next year, just hope TV start showing a few games. Of course half this team will be gone unfortunately.

Last day of the season, I know you'll all be gutted by that, Grand Final between St. Helens and Salford. Miracle that Salford did as well as they did but think Saints will have to much for them today.

Would be nice to see the underdog win though. 6pm on some Sky channel or another.

Congratulations to Street Helens, handy enough winners in the end, very good first half, less good second.

Pretty poor ref performance but don't think it made any difference to the game, unlike the NRL Grand Final.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Massive money, and gets shares in the club as well. I think they might splash the cash again before next season too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Massive money, and gets shares in the club as well. I think they might splash the cash again before next season too.

Yeah biggest ever contract I think it says, do you know where it's coming from? Just owners or a more sustainable source, do they get big crowds?

Yeah biggest ever contract I think it says, do you know where it's coming from? Just owners or a more sustainable source, do they get big crowds?

Just the owner/backers, they got six thousand supporters most games which is pretty good for Rugby League and considerably better than most who were in the same league last season. Not sustainable at all, but most Rugby League teams aren't sustainable without someone with big pockets.

Wolfpack obviously have the monopoly on this new game in Canada though, tv rights, merchandise etc., so potential is there, I'd guess they'll hit near 10,000 at their home games in Super League next year.

Some of my thought on the Wolfpack as a person who lives in Toronto and goes to games semi-regularly

- Firstly, going to game are great fun. It helps that most of the home games are in the Summer and Summer is almost guaranteed great weather here. Two ends at either end have big beer gardens with local breweries dominating.

- I always see a good few Irish provincial (R Union jerseys) floating around as well as hearing a lot of English accents so it seems ex-pats are latching on for their Rugby fix. Not sure how well some of the Canadians understand the rules (although this is a sweeping generalization)

- The stadium has a capacity of 9,600 and is in a good area of the city - young and wealthy so it is growing in reputation as a place to go on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, plenty of bars around too.

- The crowds are good BUT I wonder how many are paying for tickets...I get offered 4 free tickets by a physio I went to a few years ago as I am still on their mailing list every couple of months through the season. There are also some good deals for tickets + public transport I see advertised. Basically I think they are subsidizing the crowds hugely. If tickets went up to $50 say, I am not sure how many people will go.

- Competition. Toronto is a HUGE sports city but I wonder if it saturated with professional teams (Leafs, Blue Jays, Raptors, Argos, TFC, Marlies, Rock, Wolfpack).

I am very intrigued to see how this season goes and does it capture peoples imagination - it did get some air time on sportcentre etc. when they got promoted but I can't help but feel 3 or 4 years down the line and this guy pulls out, I am not sure if it is sustainable. But again, great project, interesting stuff.

• Advertisement

^^^
    Great post. I think it will need the owner to remain interested for the long haul or they will disappear without trace. London wouldn't have a professional team at all if it wasn't for David Hughes, he's spent tens of millions over the years and he didn't have the financial cost of transporting opposition teams Wolfpack do. He also didn't spend millions on one ageing player.

The talk of a second Canadian team was floating about for a few months, which might help, but even if that came to fruition, your still going to have to wait at least three or four years for them to be in the same league as Toronto. By which time, Wolfpack could be a thing of the past.

Rob Burrow, former Leeds Rhino has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease. Terrible news, and a dreadful condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Happy Christmas guys - anyone particularly happy with new signings? I have to say I'm thrilled the Cowboys have Valentine Holmes - really hoping he's the key to unlocking our team next season.

Since I can't change the title anymore, and it probably doesn't warrant a new thread, here's

SUPER LEAGUE 2020

Looking forward to the new season, though obviously not as much as last year with the Broncos in it.

Hoping the Our League app will show some live Championship games, because Sky sure as hell aren't going to bother their arse.

Here's a link to the app if anyone is interested:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.incrowdsports.rugby.rfl

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Looking forward to tonight, cant make up my mind who to have a bet on though will wait for the 17s

Come on Wire, put down a marker for another nearly season.

Incidentally, fcuk all Broncos games streaming on that app on the first five months. :( Skolars are on though.

Backed Austin FTS, so watch my other choice Ben Currie score first.

Wire on top first 10 mins.

Pretty damn good start to the season, exhilarating final 15

Pretty damn good start to the season, exhilarating final 15

Yeah, excellent advert for the wonderful game.

Big wins for Saints and Hull KR.

• Advertisement

Big wins for Saints and Hull KR.

Load of ****e, turned off after 59 pointless watching. Haye to see scousers win at anything, anyway. Wakey in big trouble already someone just text me brough has done his ACL??

Load of ****e, turned off after 59 pointless watching. Haye to see scousers win at anything, anyway. Wakey in big trouble already someone just text me brough has done his ACL??

Yeah seen that in a few places that his ACL is screwed.

Disappointingly one sided alright. Saints don't consider themselves scousers though. Wooly backs!

Yeah seen that in a few places that his ACL is screwed.

Disappointingly one sided alright. Saints don't consider themselves scousers though. Wooly backs!

I consider them, and that'll do for me ;)

Toronto start the season with a defeat to Castleford.

Broncos started their Championship campaign off with a win at Bradford Bulls.

Go play in the six nations Hurrell, ffs.

Warrington comfortable winners over Saints. Held to nil too.

Broncos game went ahead, another win, but apparently made hard work of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Hi guys - does anyone know where I could get a discount for Watch NRL - a year's sub is 150 - I don't really mind paying it but if someone knows where I could get a discount then that would be brill

Danick wrote: »
    Hi guys - does anyone know where I could get a discount for Watch NRL - a year's sub is 150 - I don't really mind paying it but if someone knows where I could get a discount then that would be brill

There's an NRL thread, not that that's any more busy but sadly I don't know anywhere that does a discount, I keep looking though.

• Advertisement

What are the rules on amount of devices that can stream at one time ? I'm wondering could you go halves with someone...how stringent are they on checking IP addresses on this side of the world...

Advertisement