Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"How was that their highest charting single?"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

What album was "Blood on the Dance Floor" on? I believe it was the HIStory remix album. Separate album, correct?

Correct - it was one of five new tracks on 1997's Blood On The Dance Floor: HIStory In The Mix. The rest of the album was made up of remixes of eight HIStory tunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Correct - it was one of five new tracks on 1997's Blood On The Dance Floor: HIStory In The Mix. The rest of the album was made up of remixes of eight HIStory tunes.

Conversely, at home, he had 5 number ones from Bad ("Bad", "IJCSLY", "The Way You Make Me Feel", "Man in the Mirror" and "Dirty Diana"), whereas Earth Song and BOTDF only reached #15 on the dance chart, and #42, respectively.

Hard-Fi's highest charting single is not Living for the Weekend, which only reached #15, but the long forgotten "Suburban Knights" which reached #7.

Ten Years After scored a UK top 10 single in the early 1970s, but it wasn't with "I'd Like to Change the World" or "I'm Going Home" - but "Love Like a Man" which reached #8.

Panic! at the Disco. It remains to be seen how big of a song "High Hopes" will be, but at the moment their highest peaking UK single is 2008's "Nine in the Afternoon" (#13). Their signature song, I Write Sins, Not Tragedies, only reached #25, which is also where "High Hopes" is in the UK charts at the moment. IWSNT was also outpeaked by "But it's Better If You Do!" from the same album, which peaked at #23.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Blur's Beetlebum went in at no.1, a hit relatively forgotten by the masses.

Blur's Beetlebum went in at no.1, a hit relatively forgotten by the masses.

They've had 2 UK number ones, the other being the much better remembered "Country House".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

They've had 2 UK number ones, the other being the much better remembered "Country House".

Ye of course, still, Beetlebum charts higher than many more famous Blur songs!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'd have said "Girls & Boys", "Song2" and "Parklife" are their best known hits - you don't hear either of their number ones that much these days.

loyatemu wrote: »
    I'd have said "Girls & Boys", "Song2" and "Parklife" are their best known hits - you don't hear either of their number ones that much these days.

Damon's other band Gorillaz hit number one with 'Dare' rather than 'Clint Eastwood' or 'Feel Good Inc'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

REM - "The Great Beyond" only reached number 57 on the American pop charts, but was the band's highest-charting single ever in the UK, reaching number three in 2000.

And its a fantastic song (Not as good as Find the River though!)

They should have included the shorter single edit of The Great Beyond on the In Time 1988 - 2003 compilation. If they had, they could fitted another track on. I hate when Best Ofs / Greatest Hits don't include single edits.

What could the Coronas' highest charting single in the Irish charts be? Is it the San Diego Song? Heroes or Ghosts? Or Listen Dear?

Nope! Those songs reached their respective peaks of #26, #24 and #16. Their highest charting single is, in fact, "All the Others" from 2014, which went all the way to #3.

Gigi D'Agostino. Italian DJ. Has recently scored his first ever top 40 (or for that matter top 75) hit in the UK in collaboration with Dynoro, "In My Mind". The song samples his song "L'Amour Toujours" from 2001. You'll be surprised to know that neither that nor "La Passion" ever charted in the UK, and his only charting single before this year was "Bla Bla Bla" which reached #87!

Hard-Fi's highest charting single is not Living for the Weekend, which only reached #15, but the long forgotten "Suburban Knights" which reached #7.

Update: 'Suburban Knights" on Radio Nova now. Underrated tune

Panic! at the Disco. It remains to be seen how big of a song "High Hopes" will be, but at the moment their highest peaking UK single is 2008's "Nine in the Afternoon" (#13). Their signature song, I Write Sins, Not Tragedies, only reached #25, which is also where "High Hopes" is in the UK charts at the moment. IWSNT was also outpeaked by "But it's Better If You Do!" from the same album, which peaked at #23.
    Update: "High Hopes" is now at #12!!

Ash's only top 5 hit was "Goldfinger", rather than "Girl from Mars", "Shining Light", "Oh Yeah" or "Burn Baby Burn".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

AC/DC were the act with the most top 40 hits without ever making the top 10, but I see Highway to Hell got to no. 4 in 2012 (presumably it was used in a film?). Super Furry Animals now hold that ignominious record - they just missed out when Northern Lights got to no. 11.

Depeche Mode have had 43 top 40 hits without having a no. 1 - never higher than no. 4. Their original songwriter Vince Clarke went on to have shedloads of hits with Yazoo and Erasure, including several no. 2s before eventually resorting to an EP of Abba covers to finally get his no. 1.

Super Furry Animals have had the most top 20s, 40s AND 75s without a top 10. "The Man Don't Give a F*ck" only reached #22. Fellow Welsh band Gorky's Zygotic Mynci are the only act to have eight top 75s without any top 40s.
    Was Golden retriever not a top ten hit?

thesultan wrote: »
    Was Golden retriever not a top ten hit?

It only reached #13.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

Was Please please me not number one? Remember seeing the Anthology series and there seemed to be a bit of confusion on it..

• Advertisement

Was Please please me not number one? Remember seeing the Anthology series and there seemed to be a bit of confusion on it..

Their first chart topper was From Me To You
    The 1983 reissue hit #29

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Their first chart topper was From Me To You
    The 1983 reissue hit #29

there were several charts around in the early 60s and Please Please Me made number one in some listings but not in others. The "official" charts later settled on using the Record Retailer chart where it only made number 2.

Devo never reached the UK top 40, but one of their singles literally only just missed out, peaking at #41. It wasn't Whip It (#51), but a cover of The Rolling Stones' "I Can't Get No Satisfaction".

Electronic (Bernard Sumner and Johnny Marr)'s "Disappointed" (ft Neil Tennant) reached #6 in 1992, outpeaking "Get the Message" (#8) and "Getting Away with It" (#12).

The Libertines' highest charting single is "Can't Stand Me Now" from 2004, which peaked at #2. "Don't Look Back Into the Sun" reached #11, and Time for Heroes #20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭its_steve116

PJ Harvey's highest charting single is the #25 minor hit "A Perfect Day Elise" from 1998, outcharting "This is Love" (#41), "Good Fortune" (#41) and "Sheela na Gig" (#69).

there were several charts around in the early 60s and Please Please Me made number one in some listings but not in others. The "official" charts later settled on using the Record Retailer chart where it only made number 2.
    Not until "Penny Lane"/"Strawberry Fields Forever" would the Fab Four miss the top spot in their homeland again. It was #2 for three weeks behind Engelbert Humperdick's "Please Release Me" in 1966.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,628 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

You’d think ‘Where’s Me Jumper?’ was The Sultans Of Ping’s highest charting single, but no!

‘You Talk Too Much’, reached number 26 in January 1993.

You’d think ‘Where’s Me Jumper?’ was The Sultans Of Ping’s highest charting single, but no!

‘You Talk Too Much’, reached number 26 in January 1993.

It was #4 here, Where's Me Jumper was #8 in Ireland and didn't reach the UK top 40.

Also, "Give Him a Ball and a Yard of Grass" was never released as a single.

Sticking with the Irish, Picture This's only domestic top 10 hits to date are "This Morning" and "Everything or Nothing" - #6 and #7 respectively. You'd think One Drink, Take My Hand, or When We Were Young would be their biggest hit but they ain't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

You would be forgiven for thinking that She Sells Sanctuary was the highest charting single by The Cult, as it is easily the first song that comes to mind when people think of songs by The Cult. It reached No. 15 in 1985. However, Lil Devil reached No. 11 in 1987. Incidentally, both Fire Woman, from 1989, and Sanctuary MCMXCIII (a remix collection of She Sells..) from 1993, reached No. 15 as well!

Advertisement