Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

That walnut sized organ: the Prostate

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

What sort of operation was is? Was the incision above your pubic bone or did they come at it from underneath?
    Good progress, keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Musketeer4 wrote: »
    What sort of operation was is? Was the incision above your pubic bone or did they come at it from underneath?
    Good progress, keep up the good work!
    Robotic assisted is just 5 or six little incisions, so not abdominal zipper surgery.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Back in DCU bootcamp and the pre boot camp tests show that my fitness level dropped back post op but not as far back as what the fitness level was at the start of the pre-op bootcamp so happy days, except the new targets are now higher....:).

On the plumbing side: with careful liquid intake yesterday, I got 8 hours between pitstops last night, with a volume of about 550 ml so thats good.

Having said that I over cooked the pelvic floor exercises at start of last week and paid the price in a lot more day time leakage. Did'nt do them for a few days and we are back to current normal, which is on non gym days one pad every 24 hrs and somedays they are bone dry.

That's great news. I'm sure there's much further improvement to come cos its still only been a few months and pipe work is still settling down.
    Jaysus, 8 hours! I can hardly manage that and I'm only 30!

What sort of workouts do they do with you in DCU? Is it general circuit training or is it something specifically tailored to your issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

You're flying CH. Well done!

• Advertisement

How are things these days? Is the improvement still ongoing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Wishing you every success with your recovery, CH.... and everybody.

Had heavy blood in urine. Got PSA results today - 10.24. Seeing GP again on Wednesday for DRE. Sick with worry. I know it's human nature to fear the worst but I have symptoms that suggest it has possibly spread. And the fact that I have any symtoms at all from a disease that is symptom-free unless advanced just makes the worry all the worse.

DRE suggested abnormalities. For Galway in two to three weeks for the biopsy. Head spinning tonight after the talk of percentages and stages.

Prequel:
    I am not in anyway giving medical advice here, just some ideas.
    Heighway61 wrote: »
    Wishing you every success with your recovery, CH.... and everybody.

Had heavy blood in urine. Got PSA results today - 10.24. Seeing GP again on Wednesday for DRE. Sick with worry. I know it's human nature to fear the worst but I have symptoms that suggest it has possibly spread. And the fact that I have any symptoms at all from a disease that is symptom-free unless advanced just makes the worry all the worse.

If you are talking about prostate cancer, that is not correct. everyone and every cancer is different so don't get hung up on such stuff.

DRE suggested abnormalities. For Galway in two to three weeks for the biopsy. Head spinning tonight after the talk of percentages and stages.

Sorry to read this.
    Yes it is a numbers game but can you get an MRI done first and maybe go directly to surgery, if deemed appropriate, as u will be another 6 weeks after the biopsy before they will do an MRI and then more delay.....before surgery.
    Just an idea.

I am aware of my percentages and stages etc as well but I don't worry about them because:
    there is sfa that worrying will do, in fact the opposite.
    I am living life to the full in a way I neglected for years.

You are lucky that you are in the process so the sooner the surgery, or whatever treatment they suggest, the sooner you start to get better.

Just a quick update.
    Thanks for all the good wishes.
    PSA test result the same as last time, <0.1, after 6 months so that's good news.
    However I would have been surprised if it had not been as with clear margins and no radiotherapy after surgery it should be pretty stable, at least early on.

Plumbing is all sorted on the physical level as long as I watch the fluid intake.
    Still an issue at the psychological level so am wearing a very small pad, just in case.:)

ps
    I think Byrne and Ward have done the nation a great disservice re Prostate Cancer with all the hu-hah recently about ignoring the symptoms.

In most cases, there are no symptoms, so to anyone reading their stuff: get the PSA test done if over 50.

• Advertisement

I'll ask about an MRI, thanks, but don't have private health insurance so not sure if they would do it for me. Just on the symptoms, the quick bit of reading I did (can't bring myself to do much reading) matches me with listed symptoms of advanced cancer. Bone pain, passing blood, extreme tiredness, plus others.

Biopsy appointment is for January 2017. Disappointed in that. GP had said "about two weeks". Wasn't expecting six. Not very rapid for a Rapid Access Clinic.

I'll ask about an MRI, thanks, but don't have private health insurance so not sure if they would do it for me. Just on the symptoms, the quick bit of reading I did (can't bring myself to do much reading) matches me with listed symptoms of advanced cancer. Bone pain, passing blood, extreme tiredness, plus others.

Am sorry to read this, however I would not be despondent, at least until you get the results of the biopsy and a plan of action.

In addition you can pay for the different tests, not having insurance does not preclude you from access.
    In addition, if you are paying tax, you can claim 20% back

In passing, for the benefit of others, if you can, will you share with us when you developed the symptoms.

Met the consultant today who is now putting me on annual review, with a PSA test in 6 months and I will just post in the result.

For my own piece of mind I will be getting it done every three months as the margin for error now is pretty thin.

He did suggest that I increase the daily fluid intake because if you run too dry and the pee gets concentrated, then there is a higher risk of infection.

Again thanks for reading all this:
    my final comment, for now, is if anyone is facing prostate surgery and you want intel on the actual lead up to and post surgery sequencing, then send me a PM.

I am not giving advice, I will just tell you what practical issues I faced and how I dealt with them.

For example: choice of incontinence pads..:D

So, as they say, its a wrap!

Hope this thread has helped someone.
    If you are of an age, tell the guy in the mirror to get the PSA test done, regardless. and report back.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭westgolf

Met the consultant today who is now putting me on annual review, with a PSA test in 6 months and I will just post in the result.

For my own piece of mind I will be getting it done every three months as the margin for error now is pretty thin.

He did suggest that I increase the daily fluid intake because if you run too dry and the pee gets concentrated, then there is a higher risk of infection.

Again thanks for reading all this:
    my final comment, for now, is if anyone is facing prostate surgery and you want intel on the actual lead up to and post surgery sequencing, then send me a PM.

I am not giving advice, I will just tell you what practical issues I faced and how I dealt with them.

For example: choice of incontinence pads..:D

So, as they say, its a wrap!

Hope this thread has helped someone.
    If you are of an age, tell the guy in the mirror to get the PSA test done, regardless. and report back.:D

Thank you for your excellent thread. Can I particularly commend your practical, down to earth approach. All the very best for the future.

Westgolf

especially in the health department.

As well as thanking you all for your nice comments, did I say, if you are of an age, get the PSA test done and don't take any crap from any GP's who don't agree with it as a starting point.

Yes, there are issues with the test but so there are with all medical tests.
    And well as the PSA blood test, there is now the MRI and the biopsy, with local anaesthetic, as well as of course the wonderful DRE.

I know it's not that attractive idea for most men, but if it might save your life then get that digit in there.

Just to finish off, I had no symptoms and while I now have a statistical risk of re-occurance, I am in a better place than if it had gone undetected: as i wrote already, I would have been dead in 3 years from Dec 2014.

Over and out for 2016

Meant to add, for anyone like me post surgery, once you get to the stage for using smaller and smaller pads, perhaps even just for mental insurance, like I am at the moment, don't forget to look in the ladies section of the pharmacy. Their kit is so much neater, given if the related TV adverts are anything go by, the ladies like that dept to be bulge free whereas us cave men.....

I got some really slim unisex ones in the US which are wonderfully neat, with really good adhesive quality for sticking to the underwear. Some of the smaller male stuff sold here floats around like a balloon at times!

The other wrinkle today was the combination of the cold weather and some new body armour gym gear my son bought me for Xmas. The combination when out in the park meant I was damn glad to have the "mental insurance kit"

It never occurred to me that the tight fitting kit plus the cold would have that impact...

Keep well.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Just found this thread, and I will add a few thoughts, which I hope will help other people here.

I am 15 years down the line from a radical prostatectomy that was carried out in Beaumont, so this was before the days of keyhole surgery or robotic assists

After a medical examination in Denver, (for private flying) picked up that my prostate was enlarged, I came home, and went through the loops and hoops of PSA (it was high) and related tests, biopsy and scans, as well as a lot of investigation and discussion about the right treatment.

I was just over 50 at the time, reasonably fit, and if I'd not had the medical, I would not have known there was a problem, as I had zero symptoms

The eventual decision was to remove it, the main decider being the very honest opinion of the radiology consultant at the Mater, who made it clear that if he did radiotherapy, there was no way that there would be a future surgical option due to scar tissue, but if I had surgery and there were then issues with a subsequent return of cancer, there was still then a radiotherapy option. He also suggested that as I was relatively young and reasonably fit, the recovery from surgery would be reasonably rapid, and unlikely to cause me too many problems, and in that respect, he was right.

Surgery happened in Mid December 2002, I was in the hospital for about 7 days, originally planned as 10, but by 7 days I was prowling the wards like a caged tiger, so there was no advantage staying there as long as I didn't do anything stupid. I came home catheterised, and that was a total pain both physically and emotionally, and the day of the removal was incredibly uncomfortable, the first pee after it was removed was total agony, but it was only the first.

The biopsy came back with clear margins, so my ongoing monitoring was pretty much as others have described, PSA checks on a regular basis, and I'm now down to having one check a year, and at this stage, they are still coming back undetectable, which is as good as it gets, especially after this length of time.

I was off work for 7 months, due to the very physical nature of the work I was doing (baggage handling), but in most other respects, there were no major hassles, if I'd been doing a less physical job I'd have been able to go back to work a lot sooner.

The surgeon managed to do a process called nerve sparing, which means that while erections are not as good as they were, they still happen. The absence of the prostate, and other things from around that area means however that while the erection is there, and things still work, it only fires blanks, but that didn't come as any surprise.

Incontinence, by the sound of it, I was lucky, in that from relatively soon after the catheter came out, I only use lightweight (ladies) pads during the day for insurance against stress incontinence, and I don't have any problems at night at all, and I don't have to be too careful about limiting fluid intake, I just have to make sure I don't do the trouser belt too tight, which is not unreasonable, and I can go for long periods both by day and night without problems, so long car journeys, or flights, are not an issue.

Psychologically, at the time, it was a roller coaster, with a whole gamut of good and bad emotions, but eventually, things settled down, and as time has gone on with no PSA issues to cause concerns, while I'm obviously aware of it every day, it's not a focus of thought or attention at this stage, it's now something that happened, and while I recognise that I was very lucky that it was caught early enough to have no longer term consequences, I'm also relieved that I didn't ignore the doctor in Denver.

I know how difficult prostate issues can be to talk about or face up to, so hopefully, my comments here will provide some encouragement to people who are facing the issues now, my surgery and treatment was a long time ago medically speaking, it seems that the procedures and techniques have improved significantly in the intervening time, which should help make the process easier to bear.

Hope that helps someone

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

First up I want to commend IRISH STEVE for his well structured and well thought out post.:)

One line jumps out:

I was just over 50 at the time, reasonably fit, and if I'd not had the medical, I would not have known there was a problem, as I had zero symptoms.

So guys, get the testing done once you are of an age.
    If your biological father had an issue with it, then you should start testing about age 45

Next up. Had a blood test done last week, c 3 months after the last.

Result is ZERO, [not less than 0.1 which was the last ones post surgery] .

Am in the gym at 06:30 Mon to Friday since 2nd Jan so that is good for the mind: am not killing myself there but anything is better than nothing.

My sleep pattern has settled into waking at 04:30 going to bed about 10.
    Going to bed later does not help.

Re the incontinence, now don't wear any pads, even the ladies ones, unless the shape to my day means I would feel better with it in place.
    I suspect the regular exercise has strengthened the pelvic floor muscles.

However if I skull lots of alcohol or coffee/tea I just need close access to the toilet.

Next test June

This time last year I was just after the second bout of septicaemia and was a month from surgery so was in a different place.

I have a completely different perspective on life and living these days: I took events like this long weekend for granted before: no more... so HAPPY EASTER and eat plenty eggs.:D

As an aside:
    Some of you may know that I shelled out on a new Nissan Leaf EV on March 1st last, am really happy with it.
    My favourite feature is that I can send a message to the car from my phone at 05:45 so as its preheated to 22 C ( including steering wheel and seat) before I head out to gym in gym gear...
    [This feature is automatic when plugged in for charging, the remote app works when its not charging... really cool.]

• Advertisement

Surgery was 18th May last year....
    Back in full-time work, at 64, am on probation.....
    Its pretty tiring but am still getting to gym three mornings a week, even if not doing much.
    The tiredness is driving my first wake up to about 04:15, from what was 03:15, when going to bed about 22:00.

The best part of the job is that the commute is less than 15 minutes, thats each way, in case you were wondering.:D

Its a bellboy level job, only way is up, but I don't need the stress that comes with managing staff.

Am out on the road three or four days a week meeting clients which I just adore.

The is prima facia evidence that my line manager is a graduate of Ag school, with a major in mushroom growing... keep in dark and feed sh$t, but hey, am above ground....

Keep well.

I had a full set of blood tests done in June, on the advice of my consultant when I was in the hospital with the septicaemia in March 2016.
    He said get them done 1 year after surgery, give the system time to clear out the crap.

Good to report that all aspects of the antifreeze are normal.
    The suite of tests cost 261 euro, including the PSA but worth it.

Have moved to the 24hr gym in Airside as its closer and I can get there earlier so if any of you are up there at 05:30 say hello!:D

Work hours are long but can now work from home when not on site with clients so thats even better.

Learning lots so its good.

Keep well and keep spreading the word about the importance of getting the PSA test done, from 50 on.

especially in the health department.
    Just had the 6 monthly PSA test done: still less than 0.1 so thats good news.

Will repeat what I wrote last year.
    "....if you are of an age, get the PSA test done and don't take any crap from any GP's who don't agree with it as a starting point.

Yes, there are issues with the test but so there are with all medical tests.
    And well as the PSA blood test, there is now the MRI and the biopsy, with local anaesthetic, as well as of course the wonderful DRE.

I know it's not that attractive idea for most men, but if it might save your life then get that digit in there.

Just to finish off, I had no symptoms and while I now have a statistical risk of re-occurance, I am in a better place than if it had gone undetected: as i wrote already, I would have been dead in 3 years from Dec 2014."

Just to add a few lines.

I don't answer most of the PMs I get because its not the best way to deal with the issues: especially when I get lines that say: my symptoms etc are the same as yours and my doc tells me I am fcuked.
    I have written pretty much all I can in this area:every cancer case is different, except when you are looking at large numbers for statistical patterns.

I will repeat my 6 commandments for dealing with this.

1. Eat well, i.e. healthily
    2. Exercise well, i.e. frequently
    3. Sleep well: unaided of course, helped by more of 2 if needed.
    4. Eliminate stress
    5. Only do things you like doings.
    6. Only mix with folk who have a positive influence on you/your thought processes

I have also got PMs about what is the sex life like when fully decommissioned.

Again, I will not respond to those.

What I will say is that I would not stray into the further surgery/assistive drugs/ male mechanical aids.

With the right partner and complete openness and understanding comes ........

This understanding extends to ideas such as not viewing Roger (the) Rabbit as a substitute but as complementary for ......

Over and out for 2017

Perhaps some of you might be browsing the articles here .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/search?q=Prostate

The PSA test gets some bad press in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09tdyk1

Please note that this was a single screening programme.

As I have said before, getting tested early and frequently is the better use of the PSA test, as it is the number and the rate of change in the number between tests is the better use of the test.

Keep well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

As I have said before, getting tested early and frequently is the better use of the PSA test, as it is the number and the rate of change in the number between tests is the better use of the test.

That's what led to the diagnosis of a relation of mine - the initial test was high, but not extraordinarily so. The key thing was the rapid rate it was rising at, shown in follow up tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

gizmo555 wrote: »
    That's what led to the diagnosis of a relation of mine - the initial test was high, but not extraordinarily so. The key thing was the rapid rate it was rising at, shown in follow up tests.

From the study:

"We found that offering a single PSA test to men with no symptoms of prostate cancer does not save lives after an average follow-up of 10 years"

Do I understand this correctly thinking that one test was done at say 45 years of age and the next at 55? An awful lot can happen in 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I thought of this thread when I heard that Bill Turnbull (well known former BBC TV presenter) has prostate cancer with bone mets in the hip, legs, ribs :( He said that he had had aches and pains for a while and had put them down to getting old. He's not even that old, early 60s and now his life expectancy is heavily reduced. However maybe he'll be like Francois Mitterand or Peter Cushing and live for many years with his incurable prostate cancer with reasonable quality of life.

It is an "exciting" time in prostate cancer - several new treatments, new ideas on how to treat and lots more research needed.

In the US, the reported mortality rate from prostate cancer has dropped dramatically since the early 1990s
    https://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/ld/prost.html

39.2 deaths per 100,000 males age adjusted in 1992
    19.1 deaths per 100,000 males age adjusted in 2014

Unlike 5 year survival and some other cancer statistics those mortality figure won't really be affected by stage migration, over-diagnosis, lead time bias etc. Mortality figures could be affected by how deaths are recorded e.g. an elderly man with advanced prostate cancer who died from pneumonia in 2014 may have had their cause of death given as pneumonia while perhaps the same scenario in 1992 would have seen the cause of death given as (complications of) prostate cancer. I'm just speculating here though trying to understand the statistics.

1: Happy new year to all.
    2: Meant to update this in November last: Nov test was zero as before.
    3: don't be shy about getting the PSA test and the DRE if needed: could save you life :)
    4: As before I don't follow this thread.

Just got the most recent PSA test results, still at zero/ undetectable, 3 years down range from surgery.

Don't be shy about getting the PSA test and the DRE if needed: it could save you life.
    As before I don't follow this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,812 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just got the most recent PSA test results, still at zero/ undetectable, 3 years down range from surgery.
    Excellent news. Delighted for you :)

Advertisement