Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corballis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Reciprocal playing in elmgreen you could take advantage of for a different course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Any updates on the potential changes lads? Is the full 8th in play ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

No update since, 8th is still closed as of yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Corballis can be fun, but I wouldn't want to be a member there.

1 is a grand par 3 but there is nothing special about it.

2 is a bit of a stupid hole. sure it calls for some clever play, but that doesn't make it a good hole.

3 is quality

4 super par 3 and if you could just pull the tee box back a bit (not for every round) it would not be out of place on a British Open standard course

5 excellent hole, again though with a little more length in it, it would be as good as any links par 4

6 same as 4

7 quirky, enjoyable as the second is but a way better hole. a league below the 5th though.

8 a half decent par 4 (old one was anyway) but its not much more

9 a very good par 3

10 boring

11 stupid

12 ruined by being a little short and the cross overs

13 green ruins a good hole IMO

14 nice par 4, one of the better ones

15 & 16 horrible holes

17 ridiculous and pointless

18 as good as 14

all in all, I agree with Golfgraffix. There is a world class 9-12 hole course in there somewhere as the land is just not there to make a decent 18 hole course. As it is, there are about 4 holes that would be very welcome additions to the best links courses. the rest are a mixture of ok or poor holes

@blue note you live nearby don't you? would you consider Donabate? not played it myself in probably 10 years but always recall it a nice course and 27 holes!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Donabate is brutal .

Beaverstown is where it is at.

But bluenote is too long for Beaverstown

The Island ..get the money and do it...

• Advertisement

Donabate is really not a good course

Depending on how much disruption there is with corballis I would consider a change next year. I wouldn't contemplate a parkland course and the prospect of a closed season. I love that corballis is 12 months qualifying conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm in Portmarnock. I've stuck myself onto the waiting list for the links, but if I get the call in the next year or two I might be in trouble, we're doing bits in the house which I suspect my wife thinks we should prioritise financially.

Donabate is one of the few courses I've heard a few people say is bad. I've never played it and the clubhouse looks nice when passing, but I'll probably avoid.

And I'm not that long by the way! I'm longer than average, but nothing crazy. Corballis is obviously unique where you hardly get to hit the driver. I'm just tempted to move to a club where I can hit the driver in particular more often. And clubs that are more forgiving when you go off line. The rough in corballis is the toughest I know of. Even finding the ball can be a challenge. And the distance from the middle of the green to real trouble is about 10m less in corballis than most clubs. So if you go long, left or right there with your approach it can bring a scratch into the equation. Whereas on a more typical course you're probably still thinking of getting up and down for a par and not thinking of worse than a bogey.

But with all that said I still like the place and have friends there. And the fact that I haven't been able to get the better of it yet makes me both want to leave and persevere.

And seve, I'd agree with most of your assessment of the course. I don't know why people don't pick out 8 as a weak hole on the course though. I think changing it is an opportunity. 13 would be a great hole if the green just didn't slope quite as much. And 16 isn't a bad hole. It's a good approach you have to play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I would not rate Donabate that bad, it's 27 holes and dead flat so suitable for those who want a more relaxing round on the legs or back and it's always nice to have those extra 9. If you played it day in day out your handicap would go into free fall though as it's pretty firm and GIR not a major issue.

9th is a pretty hole with approach over water, 13th is a real tempter if you have a high draw but remainder are admittedly not ones I'd want to play every day, then again I'm not a fan of playing my home club frequently, I get bored quickly, been a member of 7 clubs lol through boredom...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

There are too many good courses in North Dublin to be playing in Donabate.

You'd play Donabate as is cheap.

But you have stuff like

Beaverestown

Skerries

Forrest Little

St Margret's

Roganstown

Castleknock

Malahide

Luttrelstown

At the end of the day - you get what you pay for - and whilst there is good golf in North Dublin - the real stuff that you really would like to be a member of, are too expensive to be honest.

These are

The Island

Royal Dublin

Portmarnock

And even if you had the money - only certain people would have an inclination to want to be a member in them - even if they could get in.

The Links seems an excellent option - but isn't cheap at this stage.

Bluenote - look at your scoring at away courses. Your not really playing a course that suits your game - or your course management is terrible at Corballis specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

What's the damage at The Links ... sent them a mail, but haven't heard back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

The Links is €2500 per year but there is at least a 2 year waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Bit over the top some of the criticism there especially on 16 & 17. 17 with the pin on the top tier is as good as any of the par 3s on the course.

I think corballis is a fine place to be a member off if it suits you.

Its largely a car park golf club so there isn't a great deal of socialization that happens off the course. Most people rock up, register for their round, play, put in their score and off they go. Not much hanging around. That would appeal to alot of people.

Relatively speaking its a short round of golf. Can be slow some days but for the most part I find its pretty quick (due to length mostly)

The interclubs part of it seems to be improving year after year. We won first trophy in clubs history last year and are in the final of two more comps this year. Its still a bit to 'who you know' when it comes to getting on the teams.

The course is qualifying 12 months of the year. The greens are usually in top notch condition. That said the fairways are in a state that hitting them doesn't necessarily give you the advantage you would normally expect.

The membership I have found to be super friendly. I joined on my own and have gotten to know a few folk in my time but I still regard myself as a single golfer there who is happy enough to join any line that will have me (only had one stinker of an experience and that was my first round in the place)

Lastly its relatively cheap for dublin. Bare metal golf club membership, alot to be said for it

Everyone has different opinions.

maybe 16 not that bad a hole, but the design with 15th beside it, road crossing it makes it is way to tight and dangerous so therefore it gets marked down. The 2 together are easily my least favourite holes on the course.

folllowed closely by the absolutely daft/stupid/ridiculous green on the 17th

The 17th green is stupid. When the green is at it's fastest if you're on the top and the pin is front right you can't putt close to the hole. Your options are leaving yourself a long long putt for par or putting off the green altogether. I believe wherever you are on the green a two putt should be possible.

13 is similar, there are days where the putt is so fast you can run 20 feet by the hole and not have been able to leave it any closer.

If the greens were a little more manageable 17 could be a very nice hole and 13 better again.

Going on the top tier when the pin is lower is a bad shot and deserves to be punished. See no problem with it personally

I think whs has helped with our interclub comps. That was the opinion of a committee member I played with recently anyway.

It should. But the punishment should be fair. A punishment of a difficult 2 putt would be fair. A punishment of needing to hole a 15 or 20 footer for par is not.

Same as short siding yourself on the side of green, you're gonna struggle to get it up and down. Makes no odds if it's on the green or not

It's not. You're on the green. There's something hard to accept about hitting a green and practically ruling out a par.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

The Biggest calamitys Ive seen on 17 have all been the other way around. Pin on top level and ball on bottom or off the side of the green. Lads taking 4 or 5 to get it up the hill :-)

Look at the punishment for being above the hole on 16th at Pasatiempo, 17th (IIRC) on Tobacco Road and also one on Sandy Hills Rosapenna I think 12. Best case scenario you hold up on the fringe on some of those, can also go down the run off 20/30 yards from the green. You may be on the green but you're in a terrible spot and punished. Understand why they are considered too harsh but enjoy them personally

I love 17...the challenge of hitting the right level is all part of the fun.

It is stupid...but I love it..

I sometimes love stupid things...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I often wonder if the 17th would be seen "a real challenge or a quirk of links golf" on a more prestigious course as opposed to it being "a bit daft" on Corballis.

Sometimes the more prestigious courses tend to get away with these things a little more given the overall quality of the rest of the course. Understandable I suppose.

I'd have less sympathy for them. They can get down in 2!

Corballis = Marmite

This is interesting...If some of the holes were in say Kerry ..there would be a story of a dead horse , a stolen field and the way the ball falls.

The legend would add to the imaginative brilliance

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Finn McCool was playing a Thursday open in Corballis fado fado, in a fit of rage after shanking a short iron, he stomped on the 17th green leaving generations of golfers with ridiculous 2 putts ever since.

I do think the more prestigious courses get away with things more, understandable enough, as the overall quality can make you forget about any flaws. For example, if the 4th tee in Ballybunnion (where you have to hit over the 3rd green) was in Corballis, then you would have lots and lots of complaints about it imo. Maybe the 2nd green/approach there might be seen as a bit daft as well.

Daft. Even low handicap amateurs will often find it hard to hit the right part of a green. 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement

I think if the green was a bit bigger the split level wouldn’t be so bad. But it’s like a step, it’s to severe and coming off the top level doesn’t give you much room to stop the ball before it heads off the green (which is pretty damn hard, even for the better putters). a bit of a more subtle slope between the different levels would make it a bit fairer

Advertisement