Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,752 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tomorrow could be the last time we see Seamus prendergast, brick Walsh and Stephen molumphy in Waterford jerseys

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Waterford hurling is now in serious crisis. At a time when optimism for the future should be at an all-time high given the unprecedented flow of talent coming out of the minor grade, a general managerial malaise has led to widespread anger and frustration among supporters. It was bad enough after the Laois game, but I have never before experienced such exasperation as was palpable among supporters streaming out of Walsh Park after the shambles we witnessed on Wednesday night.

The crass incompetence and stupidity of the under 21 management has already been well dissected by other contributors to this thread, especially the excellent pieces by Blueflame and Horseboxhead. This incompetence and stupidity is a carbon copy of what has been happening at senior level, as a supposedly defensive system has produced some of the worst hidings shipped by Waterford in recent memory.

The range of terms used by contributors here to describe Wednesday's farce reflects just how widespread supporters' fury is with the way things are going: disgraceful, mind boggling, shambolic, aimless, rudderless, gormless, stupid, crap, disgusting, shocking, criminal, crazy, truly awful, angry, a new low, frustrating, embarrassing, incompetent, clueless, ridiculous, disastrous, piss poor, cat.

I have always felt that if Waterford had taken a more positive approach to last year's under 21 game against Clare in Walsh Park, we would now be All-Ireland champions. However, at least against Clare, with their lineup of star players, an argument could be made for a defensive setup. But for a team with 13 county senior panellists, ten of them in the senior matchday 25 and seven of them with senior championship experience to adopt a defensive setup against a Cork team with one player on the senior team and three senior subs (none of them likely to make a senior appearance) defied all understanding.

That Cork team came to Walsh Park hoping at best to put up a decent performance - their manager Pat Kenneally more or less admitted as much in the Examiner yesterday. But the negativity of the Waterford set up and the obvious confusion among players regarding what they were supposed to be doing drained the confidence out of them while Cork grew visibly in self-belief as the prospect of getting a result became increasingly apparent. This contrast in mindset could be seen in the way Cork sent a series of long distance shots between the posts while, in the second half, five Waterford shots dropped into the hand of the Cork goalie.

Blueflame has summarised the situation very clearly:

The negative tactics employed at Senior and U21 level have failed, they have resulted in four absolute "thrashings", they have undermined the confidence of a glorious generation of young hurlers and they have alienated a huge portion of loyal and dedicated supporters.

As Letowski (posting from Clare) has put it:

Ye now have top quality forwards coming through onto U21 and senior and none of these boys are used to playing this way from minor. They are natural winners and I don't think a negative mind set will help them in there development. Ye would get more out of them playing the style that has been successful for them and what they are used to.

The manner in which the current Under 21 and Senior managers were appointed reflects all that is wrong with the GAA in Waterford. In any other county, given the talent coming through and the need to develop it effectively, the County Board should have appointed a search committee, made up mainly of former county hurlers with suitable expertise, to scour the country to see who might be available, what they would plan to do if appointed, and what conditions they would expect to be met if they were to go forward for appointment as manager of the county team.

Instead, the County Board simply advertised for applications for the position. Very few serious contenders were likely to apply in this situation, risking embarrassment at either not being interviewed or being appointed, especially given the reputation of the County Board executive for bizarre and incompetent decision-making. Not surprisingly, there were just two real contenders, and I presume Derek McGrath got the job because he used a Powerpoint presentation and big words in his interview - a case of the inept talking to the even more inept. Peter Queally then got the under 21 team as a consolation prize.

Anyway, personally, I am not going to take this anymore. Alf Tupper has said here that after 40 years never missing a match, he will not be travelling to Nowlan Park tomorrow night. I can go back even farther - almost 55 years - and have followed the team through thick and thin (mostly the latter until the last 15 years) in that period. Not only will I not attend tomorrow's game, but will remain absent as long as these two remain in charge of our under 21 and senior teams and continue with these crazy and self-destructive tactics.
    its great the way you know the cork set up so well ," That Cork team came to Walsh Park hoping at best to put up a decent performance - their manager Pat Kenneally more or less admitted as much in the Examiner yesterday"talk about being lulled into a false sense of security ,Cork came to play Waterford the way they always do ,that is to beat them out the gate and shut the ****ers up,nothing has changed ,like to fear a county that has won an Senior All Ireland once every 65 years has won a handful of leagues,and a few Munsters,so Cork going to play anyone just to put in "a decent performance "is total bull**** ,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭skaface

Best of luck to our hurlers tomorrow. Deise Abu!!
    Let's hope we throw off the shackles and cut loose in Nowlan Park tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

skaface wrote: »
    Let's hope we throw off the shackles and cut loose in Nowlan Park tomorrow night.

heres hoping anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Hope springs eternal. Deise Abu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Is anyone heading up and down from Dublin ? having trouble getting a place to stay in KK and woudl be willing to chip in petrol/food/pints wise

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Is anyone heading up and down from Dublin ? having trouble getting a place to stay in KK and woudl be willing to chip in petrol/food/pints wise

Good man you're buying pints for whomever is driving you up and down to KK. I'll drive you as long as you buy me 8 pints of Hoffmans.
    ;-)

Serious answer- try air B&b, mate of mine got a room for €25 today, in a room over a pub. A steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Deskjockey wrote: »

8 pints of Hoffmans.

Ah Hoffmans. £1.19 a pint the night of my inter results. Pissed on less than a fiver...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Good man you're buying pints for whomever is driving you up and down to KK. I'll drive you as long as you buy me 8 pints of Hoffmans.
    ;-)

Serious answer- try air B&b, mate of mine got a room for €25 today, in a room over a pub. A steal.

8 pints of Hoffmans? Go hard or go home as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ct98

Exactly, cut loose. I think players aren't given freedom to do this by management, so they might have to take this upon themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Tomorrow could be the last time we see Seamus prendergast, brick Walsh and Stephen molumphy in Waterford jerseys

I'm really glad you're not a weather forecaster. We would have 365 days of rain a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    I'm really glad you're not a weather forecaster. We would have 365 days of rain a year.
    Has he ever said we will win ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

to be fair, he has a point, it s a 50/50 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

to be fair, he has a point, it s a 50/50 for me
    We could be playing the u13 development squad and he would have doubts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

For the people who are boycotting the game later, would ye not adopt the "support the team, not the regime" attitude?

Not sure how it'll go, really is 50-50. I'll be gutted if we lose but wouldn't be surprised tbh given how we've been playing all year.

Get the shooting on target, scrap this 2 man (or sometimes 1 man FF line) and I think we'll be in with a shout. The young lads should look after themselves and do well.
    It'll be very interesting to see if Wexford begin to tire in the second half given their exertions over the last few weeks.

It should be a tight game, I'm praying we pull out a performance and come through.
    The very best of luck to all involved tonight, come on the Deise.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭enoughtaken

Anyone going to kilkenny passing newlands cross. Looking for a lift down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Anyone going to kilkenny passing newlands cross. Looking for a lift down

Train booked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Badly outnumbered here supporter wise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

KevIRL wrote: »
    Badly outnumbered here supporter wise

That's disappointing but you can see where it's come from. I'm down in Cork myself. Heading to a pub in 10 minutes to catch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Sitting in the stand surrounded by Wexford folk...hopefully now we'll go 15 v 15 and show the country what we're made of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I reckon we'll win this handy. They've a point to prove and the pressure is on Wex for consistancy.
    We'll pull away at the end with 6 or 7 to spare. Or I'll wear a dress

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

All the subs wearing bibs in the warm up but Brian o Halloran just took his off. Not sure if it means anything or if he's just too warm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Close game so far I think if we up the pace we should win this but at this stage I feel we are too slow to do anything.

We upped the pace we look good hope we have it to pull away :) some great point scored.

Game over for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Sickener to concede a second goal just before HT

The defence is very poor. Teams know to go for goal and most of the time they will get one, it's bloody well disheartening watching Waterfords defence being so all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I've seen the replay I don't know how many times but I still can't figure out how lawlor missed that ball for the second goal. I can only assume it took a funny bounce or something because you couldn't judge it that badly.

Would have thought we'd a very good chance if we went in level. Not sure now.

No coming back for Waterford now I feel

Wexford support out numbering us here.

We need a big change in Waterford next year

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    No coming back for Waterford now I feel

Wexford support out numbering us here.

We need a big change in Waterford next year

There is only a couple of points in it.

This discussion has been closed.