Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

***Grant Regulations for Masters Students from 2012/2013 onward***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 spunkbass

CommanderC wrote: »
    This page is now available on the studentfinance.ie

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9543/postgraduate-students/index.html

Students entering new postgraduate courses from the 2012/13 academic year onwards will not be entitled to any maintenance payment under the Student Grant Scheme 2012.

I think they should have worded this differently. Its not just the maintenance payment that applicants are no longer entitled to, its fees as well............except in circumstances where you meet the special rate or the PFC of €2,000.

They have made it sound like the maintenance part is gone but fees are still a possibility

That's just my opinion though :/

That is very true. I based my decision to apply for postgrad (and pay the deposit for it) based on this information.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 1630

spunkbass wrote: »

Students entering new postgraduate courses from the 2012/13 academic year onwards will not be entitled to any maintenance payment under the Student Grant Scheme 2012.

I think they should have worded this differently. Its not just the maintenance payment that applicants are no longer entitled to, its fees as well............except in circumstances where you meet the special rate or the PFC of €2,000.

They have made it sound like the maintenance part is gone but fees are still a possibility

That is very true. I based my decision to apply for postgrad (and pay the deposit for it) based on this information.

Joke of a system alright, is there registeration fees on this top of this?or is it just the course fees that need to be paid?

Tax relief can be claimed back on the fees though yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Can you get a grant if applying for a second level 8 course?

EDIT: Read the documentation regarding a 3 year wait between courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,740 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This paragraph explains it a bit better
    (11) Notwithstanding paragraph (9), a student or tuition student may be eligible for a fee grant if he or she is pursuing a postgraduate course and the applicant’s reckonable income meets the qualifying conditions for the Special Rate as specified in Schedule 1 and Schedule 2.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭lauras91

Wow, could they have made things more unclear and confusing?
    Just to put my own mind at ease, I'm pretty sure I qualify for the special rate (my dad is on social welfare, both our incomes combined are below 20,000 for 2011, mam doesn't work). So, I should get ALL fees paid for my masters?
    I should probably just ring SUSI and ask, but they don't seem to be clearing things up!
    Really need to know this before I pay €200 to accept the course!
    Thanks!

• Advertisement

lauras91 wrote: »
    Wow, could they have made things more unclear and confusing?
    Just to put my own mind at ease, I'm pretty sure I qualify for the special rate (my dad is on social welfare, both our incomes combined are below 20,000 for 2011, mam doesn't work). So, I should get ALL fees paid for my masters?
    I should probably just ring SUSI and ask, but they don't seem to be clearing things up!
    Really need to know this before I pay €200 to accept the course!
    Thanks!

You should be sorted. You can accept the course. Always good to ask SUSI first tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭lauras91

Fingers crossed anyway, big difference between 2000 euro and all the fees (5,500 euro!). Rang SUSI and they seem to only have the same info that I can see on websites etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SAMMY6269

Hi guys,
    This may be a bit off topic but im hoping to start a Masters in septembe. I think I qualify for the special rate fees grant but i will still be really struggling financially if i accept the course.
    Im just wondering if anyone knows any place i can apply for financial assistance for the course?
    Id be heart broken to turn it down as ive been trying to get onto the course for the last three years since graduating!
    Any ideas would be a great help!

SAMMY6269 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    This may be a bit off topic but im hoping to start a Masters in septembe. I think I qualify for the special rate fees grant but i will still be really struggling financially if i accept the course.
    Im just wondering if anyone knows any place i can apply for financial assistance for the course?
    Id be heart broken to turn it down as ive been trying to get onto the course for the last three years since graduating!
    Any ideas would be a great help!

The vincent de paul
    The student assistance fund
    Tax relief on any part of the fees over 6000 (can be claimed by a friend or family member)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

If I receive the 2000 grant, will I have to pay the student reg fee? Thanks.

• Advertisement

i think the reg fee for postgrads is included in the tuition fee. correct me if im wrong

spunkbass wrote: »
    i think the reg fee for postgrads is included in the tuition fee. correct me if im wrong

Some colleges list it separately but basically yes you would have to pay it.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Some colleges list it separately but basically yes you would have to pay it.

Well it looks like no masters for me, could barely afford it without the extra 2250 :(

iMuse wrote: »
    Well it looks like no masters for me, could barely afford it without the extra 2250 :(

What college are you going to?

DIT list their fees separately so an example might be 5000 + 2250 = 7750

UCD on the otherhand list fees aggregated so they would have fees for 7750.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

What is the situation regarding whether a student can be considered dependent or independent when progressing to a Masters.
    In 2007, I started an undergrad course, as a mature student. I was considered to be a dependent mature student as I had been living with my parents prior to the course. This course did not work out, and I left after one month so as not to be liable for fees when doing a different course.
    I moved out to do this first course, and have not lived with my parents since. I commenced another degree in September of that year (which I successfully completed last year). When I went to apply for the grant I was told that I would be considered a dependent still as I had been living with my parents prior to commencing the first course.
    I hope to start a Masters this September. I have been living independently of my parents since 2007, but someone said to me I would probably still be considered a dependent. I can't work it out from the documentation available. As an independent student, I would qualify for the special rate. Any one know how this works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pinkdiamond

I'm moving to manchester to work so that I can pay the €7,500 master's fees myself.

Lucky you who are getting government assistance.

mosi wrote: »
    What is the situation regarding whether a student can be considered dependent or independent when progressing to a Masters.
    In 2007, I started an undergrad course, as a mature student. I was considered to be a dependent mature student as I had been living with my parents prior to the course. This course did not work out, and I left after one month so as not to be liable for fees when doing a different course.
    I moved out to do this first course, and have not lived with my parents since. I commenced another degree in September of that year (which I successfully completed last year). When I went to apply for the grant I was told that I would be considered a dependent still as I had been living with my parents prior to commencing the first course.
    I hope to start a Masters this September. I have been living independently of my parents since 2007, but someone said to me I would probably still be considered a dependent. I can't work it out from the documentation available. As an independent student, I would qualify for the special rate. Any one know how this works?

Did you get free fees with course 2?

Basically the rule being applied here is determination of your "class"
    Classes of applicant
    13. (1) For the purposes of this Scheme there shall be two classes of applicant
    as follows—
    (a) independent student; and
    (b) dependent student.

(2) An applicant’s class is defined at their first point of entry to an approved
    post leaving certificate course or an approved higher education course or at
    their point of re-entry to such an approved course
    and will continue to apply
    for the duration of their studies.
    (3) In this scheme an “independent student” means a mature student who did
    not ordinarily reside with his or her parents, or either of them, from 1 October
    of the year before the first point of entry to an approved post leaving certificate
    course or an approved higher education course or re-entry to an approved
    course.
    (4) “Mature student” means a student who on 1 January—
    (a) in the year of entry for the first time to an approved post leaving
    certificate course;
    (b) in the year of entry for the first time to an approved higher education
    course (other than a course known for the time being as a post leaving
    certificate course); or
    (c) in the year of re-entry to an approved course,
    is at least 23 years old.
    (5) “Re-entry”, for the purposes of this Scheme, means a mature student
    entering an approved course following a break in studies of at least three years,
    having previously attended an approved course.

Basically when you enter third level you are given a class - with most people this is dependent

If you are progressing through levels you can't change this "class" at the point of "re-entry" unless there has been a 3 year break.

I think that whoever told you this is probably correct but I think it could also be argued that because in fact you did not complete year 1 of course 1 that this was not the point of entry.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Did you get free fees with course 2?

Basically the rule being applied here is determination of your "class"

Yes I got free fees with the second course
    Basically when you enter third level you are given a class - with most people this is dependent

If you are progressing through levels you can't change this "class" at the point of "re-entry" unless there has been a 3 year break.

I think that whoever told you this is probably correct but I think it could also be argued that because in fact you did not complete year 1 of course 1 that this was not the point of entry.

That's the bit that gets me...it's as though I was considered at first point of entry for free fees, but not for grant purposes. I guess I'll make a few more enquiries and throw in an application...the worst they can do is say no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I just got an unofficial offering from DIT that they are accepting me for the Fall. I am currently enrolled in the Tus program but I will more than likely be leaving that and returning to JSA and then possibly onto BTEA. Are there any grants that I will be eligible for?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭uniqueusername

Sooo... all very confusing!

Im just finishing my masters, and was going to do my phD, but from the sounds of it, I wont get anything for my fees, because I have a post graduate already?

Glad that its done online, but its still confusing!

• Advertisement

Sooo... all very confusing!

Im just finishing my masters, and was going to do my phD, but from the sounds of it, I wont get anything for my fees, because I have a post graduate already?

Glad that its done online, but its still confusing!

You can get a fee grant towards a phd

Terry Pratchet

entering an approved course following a break in studies of at least three years,

I have a question about this. If I finished a course in 2009 (3 years ago) and I'm in 2nd year of a course now, am I eligible for a grant this year, since the 3 years has elapsed, or because I only took a 2 year break between courses am I not eligible?

I have a question about this. If I finished a course in 2009 (3 years ago) and I'm in 2nd year of a course now, am I eligible for a grant this year, since the 3 years has elapsed, or because I only took a 2 year break between courses am I not eligible?

You probably wouldn't be eligible but maybe ring contact SUSI support and confirm

SUSI SUPPORT DESK

Available 9.00am - 10.00 Mon/Fri
    Available 9.00am - 6.00pm Saturdays
    Email: support@susi.cdvec.ie
    Telephone 0761 08 7874

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

The student/mature student dependent on parents is confusing me. I'm 24 so I would have assumed that I'm classed as a mature student because I'm now progressing into a new course (postgrad)? But what is this thing about re-entry and a gap of 3 years? I only completed my degree this year and was classed as a student then because I was only 21 starting it. But surely I am a mature student now? Confused. :/

The student/mature student dependent on parents is confusing me. I'm 24 so I would have assumed that I'm classed as a mature student because I'm now progressing into a new course (postgrad)? But what is this thing about re-entry and a gap of 3 years? I only completed my degree this year and was classed as a student then because I was only 21 starting it. But surely I am a mature student now? Confused. :/

You are considered an independent mature student if you are over 23 and live away from home

If you start your degree under the age of 23 or if you are still living at home you won't be considered an "independent mature student"

If you begin college a dependent student and graduate - you cannot change your class/status until there is a break of three years or more
    Classes of applicant
    13. (1) For the purposes of this Scheme there shall be two classes of applicant
    as follows—
    (a) independent student; and
    (b) dependent student.

(2) An applicant’s class is defined at their first point of entry to an approved post leaving certificate course or an approved higher education course or at their point of re-entry to such an approved course and will continue to apply for the duration of their studies.
    (3) In this scheme an “independent student” means a mature student who did not ordinarily reside with his or her parents, or either of them, from 1 October of the year before the first point of entry to an approved post leaving certificate course or an approved higher education course or re-entry to an approved course.
    (4) “Mature student” means a student who on 1 January—
    (a) in the year of entry for the first time to an approved post leaving certificate course;
    (b) in the year of entry for the first time to an approved higher education course (other than a course known for the time being as a post leaving certificate course); or
    (c) in the year of re-entry to an approved course, is at least 23 years old.

Terry Pratchet

entering an approved course following a break in studies of at least three years, having previously attended an approved course.

According to SUSI support you must also be progressing (eg completed Level 7, waited 3 years, applied for a level 8) for this to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

If you begin college a dependent student and graduate - you cannot change your class/status until there is a break of three years or more

Really? So I am still considered a dependent student even though I am 24 and progressing to a masters, because there hasn't been a 3 year gap? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Hi all,

I just started researching an MA and I'm very confused. I finished my B.A. a few weeks ago and was interested in doing an MA. OK from what I can see, maintenance post-grad is gone. What about fees? Do they pay any fees? I seen most of the fees in UCD are €10,000 for one year...who the hell has that?

Profile: 25 years old, living at home with parents, just finished B.A. and qualified for free fees and a tiny maintenance grant, claimed first jobseekers allowance last week.

:confused:

Hi all,

I just started researching an MA and I'm very confused. I finished my B.A. a few weeks ago and was interested in doing an MA. OK from what I can see, maintenance post-grad is gone. What about fees? Do they pay any fees? I seen most of the fees in UCD are €10,000 for one year...who the hell has that?

Profile: 25 years old, living at home with parents, just finished B.A. and qualified for free fees and a tiny maintenance grant, claimed first jobseekers allowance last week.

:confused:
    You can get a grant of 2000 towards fees or possibly upto 6000. Because you live at home these are assessed on your parents income. You qualify for the 2000 if income is less than 31500. You qualify for the 6000 if income is less than 22000 and you are receiving a social welfare payment

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

OK under those terms I am eligible for neither. So if I want an M.A. in something businessy I need 10k?

Okey dokey lol

Advertisement