Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Really Scared You As A Child?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Mother’s wooden spoon and sharks in the tank

Other than that , I was a hard case , ooorrr

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

But certainly not suitable for kids. The first 5 mins alone would give children nightmares.

Nothing compared to the tv shows Oz or the original Prisoner Cell Block H (women’s prison in Australia ) . Now that was scary ****

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

In terms of tv programs when I was a very young child there was a cartoon called the Moomins (anime about these hippo like creatures) and there was a character in it called the Ice Queen that scared the daylights out of me. I’m not actually sure what it was about her but I still get a shiver when I think of it.

I had an actual phobia of dogs as a child ( I have no recollection of it but my granny and mum both say it stems from a trip to the zoo in playschool when I was about three or four where the dogs in pets corner jumped all over me and took my lunch). For years even into my teenage years I couldn’t be in a house with a dog unless the dog was put into the back garden and I even once almost ran off the edge of a cliff to get away from a dog.

It’s an awful fear to have because very few people understand it. Most people love dogs and they don’t understand how pointless saying things like ‘ah he’s harmless’ or ‘don’t worry he’s just being friendly’ is.

It was only really in my late teens that I managed to conquer my fear and I credit our now 15 year old dog whom we got when I was in 6th year with helping me.

I’m now an avid dog lover!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭norabattie

I remember a tv show/movie ( maybe somebody knows what I'm talking about) where there's something ticking in the wall??? Its meant to have something to do with the end of the world or a bomb or something. I might not be remembering it correctly. Hard to exlain sorry but to this day I can often hear a ticking when I'm lying down at night. It traumatised me for years though.

Also growing up in rural ireland and being so glad my surname wasn't an O or a Mac cos the banshee only targets them apparently.

Freddy Kruger - was obsessed with the movies. Couldn't stop watching them even though they scared me so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,428 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The green monster thing from ‘Ghoulies’, the one that popped up in the toilet.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭raclle

shesty wrote: »
    Oh I hate those Willy Wonka films!Also The Wizard of Oz and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.I really hated those as a small child, and still wouldn't be lining up to watch them.
    I was the same but not because they scared me...i just wasn't into them

• Registered Users Posts: 20,904 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

frag420 wrote: »
    Father Murphy

father casey

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KM792

When I was growing up in the 90's,goosebumps and are you afraid of the dark were on tv and were pretty scary for kids.

There was one episode of ayaotd where a woman was being hypnotized by her tv coming on while she was sleeping.A bald man was communicating to her while she slept and sending a message about coming to an apartment in her block.

To this day,I can feel uneasy about a tv in a bedroom and wonder if it were to come on in the night,would whatevers on t.v be seeping into my subconscious and affecting me lol.

Sounds mad I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Anonposter2020

I watched The Blob and The Stuff (I think that's what it was called) as a kid. Could be wrong but it was like a killer yoghurt. Traumatised me. Laugh about it now obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Mentioning blobs, I've just remembered a film scene that really got under the skin as a kid and it was in The Fly where the poor dog was sent first as an experiment and ended up half a blob but still alive and yelping. Didnt bother me when bits of yer man started to fall off as he turned in to the fly! Poor dog! On a slightly related theme the front page of The Sunday World had a pic of the remains of a burnt dog that was supposedly a satanic sacrifice and it sickened me for ages. I used to sneak our own dog in to my room at night after just in case (i was eventually caught when the dog and myself caught fleas though which of us got them first is still the source of slagging).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Having to cycle past an old graveyard especially in the evening time.

A tv series called V.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭storker

Some of Stephen King's short stories scared me way more than his novels.

"Gramma" and "One For the Road" are great for low-key terror.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The original IT I saw when I was about 7, scared the **** out of me. You'd laugh at it today though

My much older brother was/still is a huge Iron Maiden fan so Eddie was used as a means of scaring the crap outta me as a kid. I'm in my 30's now and still can't look at their album covers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭xvril

My dad took me to see Jurassic Park when I was like 6.

Slept in beside my mum having panic attacks for 2 years terrified that the dinosaurs had escaped and were going to kill us all hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭take everything

The exorcist.
    Being possessed by the devil.

Not sure how common that one is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭take everything

o1s1n wrote: »
    That's actually a known thing that a lot of people experienced when kids. I read through a Reddit page on it a while ago, there was variance (for example, this is the first time I've heard of them being clay) but the general feeling and description is very similar. Kind of blew my mind!

I used to get this too. Didn't really think of it being ball shapes but looking back it kind of was. The main take from it was being with these massive objects, but then they could be tiny. There was a roaring sound most of the time too.

Used to have it happen along with experiencing Alice in Wonderland syndrome (which I still occasionally get) where you feel like you're in a tunnel/things are really far away, tends to happen to me when I'm staring at a screen for a long time - it suddenly starts to look really tiny.

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/aaclee/til_about_alice_in_wonderland_syndrome_common_in/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

I may have had that as a child.
    Sounds a bit like depersonalisation/derealization.

I read the Reddit thread and someone mentioned a head expanding/blurring boundaries experience.

Also had the "everything far away" stuff a couple of times.

Can't even saying that's what I had but it was definitely a very odd, ineffable experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I remember one night roarin cryin determined there was a werewolf behind the curtain. There wasn’t...

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Frogs, still dislike the baxtards. When I was a child I wondered into a nearby field after escaping from the house late one night, field was hopping with frogs and they were jumping all over me and have an irrational fear ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wheeliewin

The oompa loompas in Willy Wonka and chocolate factory. They still creep me out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Seeing people die live like Tommy Cooper. Not just at the time but retrospectively it was a bit disturbing certainly in the days before mass social media. Still cringe at the sound of a clash of heads during football matches - the first time, that sound never leaves!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

wheeliewin wrote: »
    The oompa loompas in Willy Wonka and chocolate factory. They still creep me out.

I was seriously creeped out by them and scared of people with dwarfism in general. The witch with the green face in The Wizard of Oz. I was also terrified of men with long hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,626 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Soviets dropping the bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The Spitting Image puppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

There was a series called “ Children of the Stones” ( we didn’t have multi-channels so must have been on RTÉ) We we’re TERRIFIED of it . Bought it on dvd years later , it was laughable then.

I just looked it up on youtube, was that the one where they kids would go underground to some crypt and some mad goblin creature was there?
    used to terrify me!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gladerunner

https://youtu.be/oY5vxacjDgE

I had recurring nightmares for years after this

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭TinCanMan

Jimmy Savile

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

otters

I grew up beside a river and to keep me too afraid to wonder down to the water, everyone used to tell me the otters would chase me, catch me and drag me into the river!

And goats! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The film Neverendiing Story.

When the horse died in the quick sand- I have never got over it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Laois_Man wrote: »
    otters

I grew up beside a river and to keep me too afraid to wonder down to the water, everyone used to tell me the otters would chase me, catch me and drag me into the river!

And goats! :D
    According to Chinese Astrology

The Water Goat is an example of the most peaceful and harmless creature in the world

Advertisement