Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"How was that their highest charting single?"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Ryan played the track and ask his listeners 'what is that'. Anyone with an open mind would have been blown away hearing that track for the first time and seen the future. Was probably wearing his Sting t-shirt presenting that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Maynard James Keenan is best known as the lead singer of alt-metal band Tool, who have sold millions of albums worldwide but never really been a singles act. However, few are aware that he was a voice actor on THIS UK top 5 and US top 20 novelty hit...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

AC/DC's highest charting original single in the UK is Heatseeker (#12).

The Stone Roses' is Love Spreads (#2).

Guns N Roses' cover of Knockin' on Heaven's Door outcharted Sweet Child o Mine, Welcome to the Jungle and Paradise City, reaching #2.

In the US, Metallica's highest charter was Until it Sleeps at #10. In the UK, it's the more well remembered Enter Sandman (#5).

Dire Straits' two highest charting singles in the UK were Private Investigations, which peaked at #2, being held off the top spot by Eye of the Tiger, and the far better known Walk of Life which reached #2 as well. Mark Knopfler's only UK #1 was as part of the Dunblane charity supergroup, with the very same song GNR took to #2.

rock and metal used to shoot in high in the charts in the 80's for one week only! then gone the following week! Iron maiden especially!

Maynard James Keenan is best known as the lead singer of alt-metal band Tool, who have sold millions of albums worldwide but never really been a singles act. However, few are aware that he was a voice actor on THIS UK top 5 and US top 20 novelty hit...

is danny on drums too?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

It's still quite well known. Did you know that it was originally a Marvin Gaye song?

The amount of radio play “Wherever I lay...” got at the time was astonishing.
    In a year when there was one iconic hit after the next like a production line it absolutely held its own. Of course Paul Young’s voice was at its very best at the time, the single is an example of near flawless production and he was an instant heartthrob so it was like a perfect storm.

• Advertisement

is danny on drums too?

According to Wikipedia he is.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Little_Pigs_(song)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭gabria

splinter65 wrote: »
    The amount of radio play “Wherever I lay...” got at the time was astonishing.
    In a year when there was one iconic hit after the next like a production line it absolutely held its own. Of course Paul Young’s voice was at its very best at the time, the single is an example of near flawless production and he was an instant heartthrob so it was like a perfect storm.

I take back what I initially said about it not being so memorable for a UK number one. I guess the truth that common people, everytime you go and come back & stay resonate in my brain more might be just a personal radio exposure thing.
    However I do note that those three did outperform it in the US billboard

McGaggs wrote: »
    I would've thought good tradition was the most well known.

Having listened to both singles on TOTP 1988 recently I'd agree with the previous poster about twist in my sobriety being better known - it has a more memorable chorus too. But same as my thoughts on Paul Young singles its all a matter of different media exposure for different folks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

gabria wrote: »
    Having listened to both singles on TOTP 1988 recently I'd agree with the previous poster about twist in my sobriety being better known - it has a more memorable chorus too. But same as my thoughts on Paul Young singles its all a matter of different media exposure for different folks

The recent Now 100 Hits Even More Forgotten '80s included Good Tradition which also backs up my assertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Ultravox's brilliant Vienna was kept off No. 1 by one hit wonder Joe Dolce Shaddup you face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

The Beatles' 'Let It Be' was kept off the Number One spot by.........Lee Marvin's 'Wand'rin' Star'

anewme wrote: »
    Ultravox's brilliant Vienna was kept off No. 1 by one hit wonder Joe Dolce Shaddup you face.

Well yes but Vienna was still their highest charting single.

In a few years from now, I doubt the Weeknd's only #1 to date "Blinding Lights" will be as well-remembered as "Can't Feel My Face" (#3), "Starboy" (#2) or "I Feel It Coming" (#9). But maybe that's just me...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Prince had a number of hits in the 1980s and 1990s, but who would have thought that his highest placed song in the UK was The Most Beautiful Girl in The World. It reached Number 1 in 1994 and was his only song to do that in the UK. It certainly would not have been one of his most played songs on the radio.

Mazzy Star, the U.S. alt-rock duo, are best remembered for their 1993 tracks "Into Dust" and "Fade into You". However, their only UK top 40 single was 1996's "Flowers in December", which reached #40 in November of that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

The Thompson Twins had a very successful few years in the 1980s, the marvellous "Hold Me Now" is their most well known tune which peaked at no. 4 in the UK in December 1983.

However, it was outgunned by two inferior singles "Doctor Doctor" & "You Take Me Up", which reached no. 3 & no. 2 respectively in the UK during 1984. I cannot remember when I heard either of these last.

BOSTIK wrote: »
    The Thompson Twins had a very successful few years in the 1980s, the marvellous "Hold Me Now" is their most well known tune which peaked at no. 4 in the UK in December 1983.

However, it was outgunned by two inferior singles "Doctor Doctor" & "You Take Me Up", which reached no. 3 & no. 2 respectively in the UK during 1984. I cannot remember when I heard either of these last.
    There was also "Love on Your Side" which reached #9, which I would argue is better known than either Doctor! Doctor! or YTMU.

There was also "Love on Your Side" which reached #9, which I would argue is better known than either Doctor! Doctor! or YTMU.

True, warrants a mention as well.

BOSTIK wrote: »

Hold Me Now was on Now 2, You Take Me Up on Now 3 and Doctor Doctor on Now 4 - all albums have been reissued on CD recently.

Ironically Hold Me Now was included on last year's Now 100 Hits Forgotten '80s.

On my own Forgotten '80s I included Lay Your Hands On Me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

* and on a side note - they lived in Dublin for a spell during the 80's for tax reasons

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    * and on a side note - they lived in Dublin for a spell during the 80's for tax reasons

Never knew that!

and in Borris. Got their autographs then - just waited outside.

118615206_10164280408175089_3430661044759927259_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=-igmPMy0VYAAX98dwje&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=f2fb8e01114b441061d741a8e458309a&oe=5F703D79

and in Borris. Got their autographs then - just waited outside.

118615206_10164280408175089_3430661044759927259_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=-igmPMy0VYAAX98dwje&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=f2fb8e01114b441061d741a8e458309a&oe=5F703D79

And blessington

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Never knew that!

and iirc.... so did The Police, Spandau Ballet, Howard Jones and UB40

Sting lived in Galway.

Plus
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood- also in Borris

Plus
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood- also in Borris

What is it with Borris? Thompson Twins AND Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

Ozzy Osbourne and Thompson twins had the same place in blessington don’t recall Ozzy actually being there though

What is it with Borris? Thompson Twins AND Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

Borris House is a big stately mansion - ideal place to get away to and record.

FGTH had an incident with a chimney fire..... they were there when recording second LP Liverpool.

• Advertisement

I think the T Twins and FGTH should've gone to Slane Castle instead.

Advertisement