Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Third Level

• 07-09-2003 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought that anyone starting Third Level in the not too distant future might find the following from Disability Information Ireland useful as it refers to the acces/disability services provided by most third level colleges and institutions.
    Disability/Access Officer

Every third level institution now has either a Disability or Access Officer who deals with the needs of students with a disability within their institution.

Other names for the Disability Officer include:

Disability Liaison Officer

Disability Co-ordinator

Disability Support Officer

Access Officer

Role of Disability Officer

It is a good idea to get to know the Disability Officer in the first weeks of college. Introduce yourself when you arrive in college. The Disability Officer is there to provide support and advice on academic and social activities. S/He will also inform you of Emergency Evacuation procedures.

You should contact the Disability Officer if:

You require specific educational supports while in college, such as readers, sign-language interpreters, material in Braille, etc.
    You want information on the facilities available in the college
    You would like a mediator for you on administrative issues such as registration and examinations

My own experience of the disability services provided by the colleges etc I have spoken to is that they are all very helpful and willing to do anything they can possibly do to assist in the transition between second level and college. As mentioned above I would advise students to get in contact with the Disability/Access officers A.S.A.P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Suzybie

this is really good advice, find out now where to go and tell the College DO if you have a disability - even if you think you don't need anything it can come in useful if things start to go belly up during the year. You might be surprised at the things that can be done in terms of acess and services in college. I have a feeling that *some* colleges in Ireland are light years ahead of government dept's, health boards and many employers in terms of the services they provide.

The College Disability Service I use have been a life line and have provided me with services and supoort for the past six years in college.

Also find out about the Fund for Students with Disaiblities which is provided by Government to colleges and each student makes an application to. The fund pays for technology, academic assitance, transport etc and needs to be applied for early in the year.

Suzy

Advertisement