Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

something quite big

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,986 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Cosmic collision 12 billion years ago. Created mega-galaxy? Any relationship to Big Bang?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

as far as I can find out it is not directly related to the big bang. It as also thought to be a lot larger now as more galaxies are thought to have joined the growing mass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Should Big Bang be reconsidered or revised or not be associated? Butterfly effect?

Black Swan wrote: »
    Should Big Bang be reconsidered or revised or not be associated? Butterfly effect?

I think it depends on your personal point of view Swannie'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,986 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Black Swan wrote: »
    Butterfly effect?
    Everything's affected?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Stephen Hawking's (and Thomas Hertog) last paper published before his death suggested the existence of parallel universes related to the Big Bang.

Ref:
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/stephen-hawking-is-still-publishing-new-mind-bending-theories-about-space_us_5ae9d963e4b06748dc8eab21
    https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/JHEP04(2018)147.pdf

I had heard about that too Swannie thanks for reminding me. :)

Makes note. Read Hawking & Hertog.

I like the position made elsewhere by another that in each era we though we had it right, while considering all those eras before as wrong. Makes me wonder what the future era will consider ours in light of theirs? Rubbish or a foundation to evolve from?

I try to keep an open mind at all times (Try) you never know what the idea will be.

• Advertisement

Rubecula wrote: »
    I try to keep an open mind at all times (Try) you never know what the idea will be.
    Cool. Corresponds with research method. Research suggests. Does not prove. Always "open mind" for contrary evidence.

I often disagree with top scientists (even Steven Hawking) but usually it is me that is wrong. Maybe I should stop doubting but I can't help myself.

I often disagree with top scientists (even Steven Hawking) but usually it is me that is wrong. Maybe I should stop doubting but I can't help myself.
    When taking research methods classes. Always told to proceed with caution. Accept nothing on faith.

Fathom wrote: »
    When taking research methods classes. Always told to proceed with caution. Accept nothing on faith.
    Yes, that is me right enough.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

See Clarkes first law ;)

Clarke's three laws
    1 When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

2 The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

3 Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

- Arthur C. Clarke

See Clarkes first law ;)

Clarke's three laws
    1 When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

2 The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

3 Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

- Arthur C. Clarke

thank you Captain

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Arthur Conan Doyle's methodology of Sherlock Holmes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Vetinari: Apprentices? But I can see to it that the finest craftsmen —
    Leonard da Quirm: Not craftsmen, my lord. I have no use for people who have learned the limits of the possible.

— The Last Hero , Terry Prachett

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Arthur Conan Doyle's methodology of Sherlock Holmes.

one of my favourite authors

Vetinari: Apprentices? But I can see to it that the finest craftsmen —
    Leonard da Quirm: Not craftsmen, my lord. I have no use for people who have learned the limits of the possible.

— The Last Hero , Terry Prachett

and another of my favourites

• Advertisement

one of my favourite authors
    Finishing complete Sherlock Holmes works. Fast read. Historical take on deductive and intuitive methods applied to crime.

Makes note. Read Hawking & Hertog.
    way off topic. Watch Kinski and Herzog.

Anyway
    Can't wait until some more of the Gaia data has been explained , because info on our galaxy can be used to explain others.
    https://www.cosmos.esa.int/web/gaia/home

Always found it odd that so may galaxies including our own have a super massive black hole or two at the centre with roughly a 1 : 700 ratio to the mass of their galaxies.

way off topic. Watch Kinski and Herzog.
    Notes. Thanks!

Finishing complete Sherlock Holmes works. Fast read. Historical take on deductive and intuitive methods applied to crime.

just like a yellow door "it is a lemon entry my dear, what's on?"

just like a yellow door "it is a lemon entry my dear, what's on?"
    It's elementary.

eat up it's alimentary

Karl Popper. Philosophy of science. Falsification. Cool POV Rubecula.

Karl Popper. Philosophy of science. Falsification. Cool POV Rubecula.

:cool: thank you Fathom one of the nicest comments I have received on my scientific thoughts.:)

:cool: thank you Fathom one of the nicest comments I have received on my scientific thoughts.:)
    Proceeding with caution is a scientific value.

• Advertisement

oh I am all for pushing ahead, but sometimes I see the direction differently eg they see things mathematically, I never have done. I like maths but in fact I see things in a picture form so I often find it hard to explain my thoughts.

Advertisement