Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Operation Transformation 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

I don't know many people that 'love' veg like cabbage and turnip. But you eat them up because in the back of your head you know they are good for you, will fill you up and 2 or 3 of the 5 a day.

You're man needs to suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LC2016

3 minutes of squatting non stop without a break? Are they serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I like mushy turnip.

I would not like to be near them... dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

They're weighing them in pounds and stones, yet the distance measured is in km, that is daft.
    It should all be in metric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Naggdefy wrote: »
    I don't know many people that 'love' veg like cabbage and turnip. But you eat them up because in the back of your head you know they are good for you, will fill you up and 2 or 3 of the 5 a day.

You're man needs to suck it up.

Two of my favs. Turnip properly seasoned with pepper is a fine food. As for fresh cabbage!

Parents are important when it comes to veg. My eldest loves cabbage to this day and I think it's because he seen how I relished it...I wasn't around as much for the other children and they have the typical 'hate greens' attitude to it.

Not a scientific survey, just observance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yer man that wasn't eating enough was treated very badly.
    Imagine coming on there. You would be fearful of not meeting target then immediately after seeing a huge weight loss, they basically attached him. He has probably lost enough to meet the first four weeks weight loss targets. They could therefore have taken a massive change of tack with him knowing they have room to play with regarding targets. You could see he was just ready to melt onto the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

Great ads for Heineken and Just Eat on during the breaks. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

I must download that justeat app😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

First year watching this and to honest I don’t like the concept.. long term weight loss over a longer period. I have seen past leaders and all wearing baggy clothes and dark clothes.
    I see it locally the roads and gyms full for January and then no one out past February only the odd few. I definitely think some of the leaders might need a little more psychological help nothing major but definitely might need the extra support the guy with the veg issues need support.. He is cooking his veg till it’s tasteless and soggy he would probably better off eating it raw and now his seems to taking on his issues.
    How many of the leaders will continue to walking the roads when all the support is gone and the TV cameras are gone .. not really fair giving them all this support and them suddenly taking it all away.
    Giving out to a chap who lost so much weight is pointless and the 4 of them lecturing him is silly.
    I would question how expert the experts are to be honest...two of the experts are local enough to me and to be honest I wouldn’t have them down as weight loss or exercise experts ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The purpose of the show is simple.... it is to allow people to watch and feel better about themselves :)

harr wrote: »
    First year watching this and to honest I don’t like the concept.. long term weight loss over a longer period. I have seen past leaders and all wearing baggy clothes and dark clothes.
    I see it locally the roads and gyms full for January and then no one out past February only the odd few. I definitely think some of the leaders might need a little more psychological help nothing major but definitely might need the extra support the guy with the veg issues need support.. He is cooking his veg till it’s tasteless and soggy he would probably better off eating it raw and now his seems to taking on his issues.
    How many of the leaders will continue to walking the roads when all the support is gone and the TV cameras are gone .. not really fair giving them all this support and them suddenly taking it all away.
    Giving out to a chap who lost so much weight is pointless and the 4 of them lecturing him is silly.
    I would question how expert the experts are to be honest...two of the experts are local enough to me and to be honest I wouldn’t have them down as weight loss or exercise experts ..

I thought they were being very responsible myself.
    He knew himself that he had lost too much weight and what the issue was. He lost it because he starved himself - totally the wrong way to lose weight.

Let's face it, they are on the show because they need to told where they are getting it wrong. 'Honesty' is not a 'lecture' or cruel in the long run.

TBH if people are still eating the way he is and somebody is gulping their way through a tray of Coca cola a day, then coaches they have signed up to listen to, getting a bit tetchy with them is the least of their problems.

I thought they were being very responsible myself.
    He knew himself that he had lost too much weight and what the issue was. He lost it because he starved himself - totally the wrong way to lose weight.

Let's face it, they are on the show because they need to told where they are getting it wrong. 'Honesty' is not a 'lecture' or cruel in the long run.

TBH if people are still eating the way he is and somebody is gulping their way through a tray of Coca cola a day, then coaches they have signed up to listen to, getting a bit tetchy with them is the least of their problems.

Yeah I have no problem with anyone having a go at them or being honest and I know it’s a tv show and some drama is needed.. but the chap has a serious issue with veg and to give a plan that is saturated With veg is always going to lead to issues and to expect him to suddenly start consuming them on mass is not going to happen.
    I really think they should replace one of the experts with a good chef.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

harr wrote: »
    Yeah I have no problem with anyone having a go at them or being honest and I know it’s a tv show and some drama is needed.. but the chap has a serious issue with veg and to give a plan that is saturated With veg is always going to lead to issues and to expect him to suddenly start consuming them on mass is not going to happen.
    I really think they should replace one of the experts with a good chef.

But has he never watched the show before or looked at the food plans of the previous years? He should have or would have known that veg was gong to be on the food plan. If he has an issue with certain foods he should have said it early on in the OT process, I'm guessing this is the first they've heard of his problem with veg.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    But has he never watched the show before or looked at the food plans of the previous years? He should have or would have known that veg was gong to be on the food plan. If he has an issue with certain foods he should have said it early on in the OT process, I'm guessing this is the first they've heard of his problem with veg.
    Fair point ... he isn’t going to last long if he doesn’t eat.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I wondered the same thing, tbh.

It seems fairly serious if someone is literally gagging at textures or tastes of certain foods, ordinary everyday food.
    I think maybe the issues there are beyond the remit of the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

They're weighing them in pounds and stones, yet the distance measured is in km, that is daft.
    It should all be in metric.

Royale with cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭prunudo

The whole remit of the show is a bit messed up, they choose people who usually have some sort of back story, feeling insecure in their appearance and in a bit of a rut in life. They then expect them to be 'leaders' and big them up as having the pressure of their followers on their shoulders. Then humilate them and claim they are letting everyone down. And at the end of the show when the cameras are gone and they don't have followers they're expected to carry on their new healthy living.
    To use the cliche, it can't but be an emotional rollercoaster. Leaders are go getters, people who dig deep, thats either in you or its not, and I don't recall seeing it very often over the years, except maybe the lad with one leg from a couple years back.
    Given whats happened across in the UK with reality TV shows, rte would want to be very careful the contestants are monitored and well looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I think these types of shows tend to attract sociopathic personalities.
    The need for constant pity, every little thing has to be pushed, the runs, food prep etc.
    It's someone else's fault and not theirs despite their decisions regarding diet in the past.
    The need for adulation despite not being motivated enough to do this for themselves by themselves.
    Starving themselves to make weight to appear to create an impression, overdoing it when obese leading to self harm ultimately leading to being back at square one come the end of the program.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

If this is the case, then Aoife is not doing her job.

I would have taken it as a guarantee that all leaders would have detailed individual interviews/consultations with Karl, Aoife, Eddie and the doctor (forget her name). Surely this is a given?

I was surprised Lorraine did not lose weight. If she followed the plan to a tee, then the issue isn't with her but with the plan given to her. The 'experts' should hold their hands up and admit they got something wrong here. I don't know her background - but I assume she did no exercise and her diet was not good. To do the opposite of this over a 7 day period and not see a weight change is strange to say the least.

One big issue I have with the 'experts' is Barry is on 600kcals more than all of the other leaders as highlighted in last night's episode. He needs to eat a lot more than 600kcals than Lorraine for example!

At the beginning of the series (based on age, weight, height and gender):
    Barry's BMR was approx. 2920kcals, and maintenance calories approx. 3500kcals.

Andrea's BMR was approx. 2170kcals and maintenance calories approx. 2605kcals.

Lorraine's BMR was approx. 1375kcals and maintenance calories approx. 1650kcals.

Each leader should be on a different calorie plan. To lose weight in a sustainable manner an individual needs to be in a calorie deficit. Recommendations vary but the general theory is nothing greater than 600kcals below maintenance. If you exceed 600kcals below maintenance, it is not sustainable weight loss method.

I wish they would change these 'experts' each year or two. I am honestly not convinced by any of them - specifically Karl and Aoife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Royale with cheese

Big Kahuna burger all day long.."the cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast..".............:P

Irish94 wrote: »
    If this is the case, then Aoife is not doing her job.

I would have taken it as a guarantee that all leaders would have detailed individual interviews/consultations with Karl, Aoife, Eddie and the doctor (forget her name). Surely this is a given?

I was surprised Lorraine did not lose weight. If she followed the plan to a tee, then the issue isn't with her but with the plan given to her. The 'experts' should hold their hands up and admit they got something wrong here. I don't know her background - but I assume she did no exercise and her diet was not good. To do the opposite of this over a 7 day period and not see a weight change is strange to say the least.

They did admit they might have to look again at the 'intensity' of what they asked her to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

You'd wonder about the efficacy of awareness programmes. A seemingly smart, well rounded person has to get on a TV programme to be told a tray of coke cans a day is bad for you.
    And that guy needs more than talking heads to get to the bottom of the way he eats. Weird.

It’s all about ratings, they’ll pick the candidates most suitable to boost their ratings, the weight loss is a back story as can be seen from former contestants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Weight loss is all about diet. Exercise is essential for good health and well being but the actual calories burnt off are negligible. The exercise should not be linked directly to weight loss.
    The many benefits of exercise should be highlighted but it can be counter productive when focussing on weight loss as a result of exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Anyway losing weight is easy, I've did it loads of times...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Barry to win!!

Tanya's brother is the spit of Simon Coveney

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Tanya's doing so well, losing weight, exercising and off the cigarettes.
    Fair play, goes to show it's very doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

You'd have thought at this stage someone, somewhere would have told KT to time down the shouting.

• Advertisement

lorraine just wants to be on the telly and a bit of free advertising for the barbers. Can’t really take to her ...

Advertisement