Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

While its great to see some activity at long last, the old parish pump crap continues unabaited.

Still i guess its a good day overall
    Whats parish pump got to do with sorting two well known bottle-necks on two national routes?
    Tourism is a major part of wexfords economy and the road network has been neglected for decades while other south-east counties got upgraded.
    Dublin Rosslare is also a major national asset so i have no problems with Brendan Howlin doing what he should!
    How long was John Browne there and he did nothing...?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tomflynn

While its great to see some activity at long last, the old parish pump crap continues unabaited.

Still i guess its a good day overall

The 'shovel ready' nature of the N11/N25 schemes has more to do with the previous government and NRA than Brendan Howlin. It was announced as one of the PPP priorities in 2009 by the NRA http://www.nra.ie/PublicPrivatePartnership/SecondPPPRoadsProgramme/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

barney 20v wrote: »
    Whats parish pump got to do with sorting two well known bottle-necks on two national routes?
    Tourism is a major part of wexfords economy and the road network has been neglected for decades while other south-east counties got upgraded.
    Dublin Rosslare is also a major national asset so i have no problems with Brendan Howlin doing what he should!
    How long was John Browne there and he did nothing...?

I think that Newlands Cross, Gorey-Arklow, the Galway bypass, Adare bypass and possibly even ClareGalway would have been bigger bottlenecks. So you cant help wondering if he prioritised them being a local rather than for national importance (even if there is some need for them). Dublin-Rosslare? Who is travelling by road from Dublin to Rosslare other than the odd caravan holiday? You use one port or the other.

I do of course understand that its the shovel ready schemes that are getting the look in.

Instead of building a bridge across Ireland's second longest river, carrying important regional & international traffic (including much heavy freight from & to ports) away from notorious rush hour jams & improving local transport links, the gombeen political classes of Ireland will now choose to spend the money on useless projects elsewhere. :rolleyes:

Just watch the Parish Pump politicians of the West demanding that their local projects go to the top of the list instead:mad:

:D Your post is looking fairly pathetic now, The minister from Wexford announcing roads in wexford at the expense of others and your giving out about parish pump, :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tomflynn

I think that Newlands Cross, Gorey-Arklow, the Galway bypass, Adare bypass and possibly even ClareGalway would have been bigger bottlenecks. So you cant help wondering if he prioritised them being a local rather than for national importance (even if there is some need for them). Dublin-Rosslare? Who is travelling by road from Dublin to Rosslare other than the odd caravan holiday? You use one port or the other.

I do of course understand that its the shovel ready schemes that are getting the look in.

I think the Newlands Cross N7 / Arklow-Rathnew N11 is proceeding anyway. It is already announced as proceeding (although the start date keeps moving and is still not commenced....)

Galway City Outer Bypass is caught up in the European Court of Justice http://curia.europa.eu/juris/fiche.j...or=&cid=338236

The M17/18 (assuming it is announced today) will bypass Claregalway.

However, I have to agree with you on the Adare Bypass. It was/is a mistake to bundle it with the shelved M20. It should proceed as a standalone project. If the M11/N25 (Enniscorthy/New Ross) and M17/18 proceed, Adare is one of the few remaining true town bottlenecks. I would expect (based on my own opinion) that this should become a strategic priority, irrespective of any M20 proposals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The two by-passes will transform the two towns and the lives of the people who use those roads. They are also outstanding projects going back at least a decade as far as I can recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Bards

no Mention of New Ross

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/government-stimulus-13000-jobs-2-25-billion-nprf-state-assets-523777-Jul2012/

Over half of that investment, €850 million, will be invested in the motorway network including upgrades to the M11 including a bypass at Enniscorthy, as well as 57km of works on the N17 and N18 to bypass Clarinbridge, Claregalway and Tuam to begin within two years.

A further 12km orbital route around Galway, bypassing the city – similar to the M50 project around Dublin – is also planned, but is currently stalled due to legal proceedings

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0717/cabinet-set-to-approve-2bn-stimulus-package.html

An allocation of €850m is being made for upgrading the national motorway and primary route network.

Projects include the N17/N18 Gort to Tuam motorway, bypassing Clarinbridge, Claregalway and Tuam.

The M11 Gorey to Enniscorthy project will include a bypass of Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

It's in the release from the Dept of Public Expenditure
    http://per.gov.ie/2012/07/17/speech-by-minister-brendan-howlin-td-government-infrastructure-stimulus/
    Transport
    We will invest in national roads in order to remove bottlenecks and complete the motorway network. Phase 1 of our PPP Programme will see delivery of the N17/N18 Gort to Tuam, the M11 Gorey to Enniscorthy and the N25 New Ross Bypass. A further priority transport project for the Government is the Galway city bypass. This is on hold at the moment pending the outcome of legal proceedings. Depending on the outcome of those proceedings it would be hoped to progress it as an additional PPP project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Bards

so much for Shovel ready projects

http://per.gov.ie/2012/07/17/speech-by-minister-brendan-howlin-td-government-infrastructure-stimulus/

In the Roads sector, the N17/N18 Gort to Tuam will commence in 2013 and the M11 Gorey to Enniscorthy and the New Ross bypass are expected to commence by end 2014.

A week is a long time in politics never mind 2.5 Years?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Any images of the proposed bridge on the New Ross bypass?

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »
    Any images of the proposed bridge on the New Ross bypass?

Actually itd be fairly cool to see a proposed map of the road network when all these schemes are complete. Would there be a link to such a thing yet

Actually itd be fairly cool to see a proposed map of the road network when all these schemes are complete. Would there be a link to such a thing yet
    This was posted earlier

newrossbypass.jpg

jd wrote: »
    This was posted earlier

newrossbypass.jpg

Thanks, however what im looking for is the overall map of country with all new schemes includes (Newlands, M17, M11 etc) - i accept its borderline non-topic

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I take it you dont use the N11 or N25 much,the traffic jams in Enniscorthy and New Ross can be horrendous,I've spent up to an hour stuck at the Waterford side of New Ross. The N11 is the primary route for Rosslare Europort and not just a road for Dubs to use to get to their holiday homes.The sooner these jobs start the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

:D Your post is looking fairly pathetic now, The minister from Wexford announcing roads in wexford at the expense of others and your giving out about parish pump, :rolleyes:

The New Ross Bypass will benefit three counties not one. It improves trading & transport connections between the UK / Europe through to the South East ports & Cork & the SW regions.

It is a nationally important route which crosses Ireland's second largest river which has been needed for decades.

Which projects should be top of the list instead, Greater Dublin, Limerick, Cork, Galway city & adjacent regions excepted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Actually a lot of trucks leave Dublin and head down the coast to Rosslare Port rather than use Dublin Port. You're forgetting you have to drive when you get off the ferry at the other side also and most trucks prefer the route across the UK from Rosslare. If you ever travel the Dub Wex route you can tell when ferries have landed in Rosslare by the pattern of commercial traffic you meet on the route.

cargo wrote: »
    Actually a lot of trucks leave Dublin and head down the coast to Rosslare Port rather than use Dublin Port. You're forgetting you have to drive when you get off the ferry at the other side also and most trucks prefer the route across the UK from Rosslare. If you ever travel the Dub Wex route you can tell when ferries have landed in Rosslare by the pattern of commercial traffic you meet on the route.

Fair enough but i dont get their logic (mileage i guess).

Pick any point on google maps (Limerick, Waterford, even Wexford) and select to goto London. They pick best route via Dublin port every time. Only exception is when your starting point is Rosslare! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Pick any point on google maps (Limerick, Waterford, even Wexford) and select to goto London. They pick best route via Dublin port every time. Only exception is when your starting point is Rosslare! :eek:

It's more to do with the condition of the roads than the distance. Ironically enough they're better at this side so some truckers rather clock up the mileage on this side of the water rather than the far side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Waterford to London via Dublin port would add around 160KM onto the journey. Wexford via Dublin would add almost 200KM. I'd never do this in my car - I live in Wexford and the only times I go to the UK via Dublin port is if I can get the HSS/Swift and am going somewhere no further south than Birmingham. A lorry driver is even less likely to want to do this as the extra cost of fuel would be significant!

bkehoe wrote: »
    Waterford to London via Dublin port would add around 160KM onto the journey. Wexford via Dublin would add almost 200KM. I'd never do this in my car - I live in Wexford and the only times I go to the UK via Dublin port is if I can get the HSS/Swift and am going somewhere no further south than Birmingham. A lorry driver is even less likely to want to do this as the extra cost of fuel would be significant!
    I think driving the extra couple of hours is fairly taxing on ones own personal time. Plus you probably have to stop for a break the extra time with the bad roads. Trade off with both I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

Is there anywhere I could see an image of the proposed bridge?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think driving the extra couple of hours is fairly taxing on ones own personal time. Plus you probably have to stop for a break the extra time with the bad roads. Trade off with both I guess

For a trucker, the hours destroy how much they can drive the other side when they get there (tacograph limits). More direct route even if its a much longer boat or worse roads = what they'll go for.

K3v wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I could see an image of the proposed bridge?

Took a bit of searching but at www.mottmac.ie/files/page/444105/roads_websecure.pdf

I found the following (fwiw)

214425.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Where are the bad roads? Fishguard/Pembroke to London has about 30 miles of good quality single carriageway with bypasses of the towns along the way and then it's dual carriageway and motorway all the way to London. No traffic chaos around the M42 at Birmingham to deal with either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

5 mile tailbacks on the Waterford side of the bridge this morning, back to the Rue Glen according to AA Roadwatch

I wonder who thought holding the National Ploughing Championships at such a bottle neck would be a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

12km tailbacks according to the Irish Independent, which sounds about right to the Rhu Glenn.

That's where the Waterford bypass starts (eastern side)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

If there was a Rosslare Waterford rail link was open there wouldn't be half as much que's. It would be much easier and if there was a bus service between Campile or Ballycullane and Ballinaboola

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

man98 wrote: »
    If there was a Rosslare Waterford rail link was open there wouldn't be half as much que's. It would be much easier and if there was a bus service between Campile or Ballycullane and Ballinaboola

If the new ross line was open and the bridge across to the mile tunnel was working then that'd be even better and about as realistic...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The indo is now reporting that this project is to go live!
    The National Roads Authority (NRA) will today ask private companies to submit bids to construct the New Ross bypass, which will be the biggest road project ever built in Co Wexford.

The road, which will not be tolled, will include a 900-metre bridge over the River Barrow.

The scheme is expected to cost €215m, which includes the land necessary to build the road, and it is hoped that work will begin in 2015 and end in 2017.<snip>
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/bottleneck-road-to-get-215m-bypass-29144623.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The indo is now reporting that this project is to go live!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/bottleneck-road-to-get-215m-bypass-29144623.html

I see no mention of it in the article, but wasn't the Enniscorthy Bypass originally supposed to be bundled with this?

Advertisement