Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

www.Courts.ie states the case is adjourned until 11/02/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

More delays :rolleyes:

The M28 will never be built in my lifetime and im in my Thirties.

Please dont vote for Buttimer in Cork South Central!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭SeanW

Hibernicis wrote: »
    I disagree strongly. I think we are entitled to know who is backing this. It is having a substantial impact on a lot of people's lives and so is a matter of public interest. Those who are impacted should know who they are up against. It was certainly never the intention of the planning/judicial system that key players could hide behind a public front. That would appear to be exactly what is happening in this case.
    Silent participation is an important right in a republican democracy, in some cases it may be the only way to participate if your views are not widely shared. For example, if you are a conservative/Republican in the United States and you work in Silicon Valley, you definitely want to hide that and may choose to keep silent and maybe donate money to conservative organisations instead. Likewise if you were LGBT in Ireland during the mid-20th century, you might have chosen to donate to organisations looking to broaden society's perspective while not letting it be known that you were taking such action or that you felt you had cause to do so.

A far better remedy would be for the courts to start awarding costs against objectors in these types of cases. We would need judges to prove that objectors can cover both their costs and the costs of the State/TII/CCs and then award them full costs in cases of spurious litigation, with all guarantees called in, fully enforced by the Sheriff if needs be. Keep doing it until spurious litigators get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Limerick74 wrote: »
    www.Courts.ie states the case is adjourned until 11/02/2020
    http://highcourtsearch.courts.ie/ wasn’t available when I checked last night. It is now showing the following:

Date 23/01/2020
    List ADV MR JUSTICE MAC GRATH
    Position 18
    Result Adjourned - no details available
    Note costs

Date 12/03/2020
    Position 0
    Result XX
    Note

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭danny004

http://highcourtsearch.courts.ie/ wasn’t available when I checked last night. It is now showing the following:

Date 23/01/2020
    Position 18
    Result Adjourned - no details available
    Note costs

Date 12/03/2020
    Position 0
    Result XX
    Note

Disastrous ,the months just ebb away ,although I dont expect it will make much difference this time of year with it being election season.
    Im wondering is the judge now considering their application for an appeal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Every time I open this thread, it opens on the first page

Which is dated 3/1/2005

With the line.
    This one is the proposed N28 cork to ringaskiddy project. This imo needs to be done asap for the sake of industry and carrigaline.

15 years later!!!!!!!! Here we are.

I'm beginning to believe Mikeym is right above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Strictly speaking i know this is way off topic, Mods i hope you will excuse me on this one occasion as it involves Jerry Buttimer and we know his position on the M28 in general.

https://twitter.com/CorkTruckDriver/status/1220724006145482752?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

No, it is not the reason.

Ludo wrote: »
    No, it is not the reason.

It didn’t help matters

• Advertisement

It didn’t help matters

Wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference IMHO. There is a lot more to this than 10 miles of a motorway...or lack thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Meanwhile as and from today, Rosslare is 30 mins closer to Cork thanks to a new bridge on the N25.

While the main road to the main commercial port in the 2nd largest harbour in the world is still serviced by a main road which in parts is not as wide as some of the opposers driveways

If only we had political clout like they have in the south east of the country.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ludo wrote: »
    Wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference IMHO. There is a lot more to this than 10 miles of a motorway...or lack thereof.

Absolutely. The M28 had no impact on this decision

Brittany Ferries said when they launched the service in 2018 it was for a trial 2 year window and now upon review the freight volumes using the service aren’t sufficient enough to make it viable

marno21 wrote: »
    Absolutely. The M28 had no impact on this decision

Brittany Ferries said when they launched the service in 2018 it was for a trial 2 year window and now upon review the freight volumes using the service aren’t sufficient enough to make it viable

I wonder, as truckers are only too familiar with the state of the roads in this country and traffic issues.
    Have many decided it was easier to take a ferry to France from Dublin rather than having to face the backlog approaching Dunkettle from the M8 side.
    Then the traffic on the N40, when we have our usual fender benders which result in ridiculous delays and then having to travel down a rural borreen which is backed up with traffic quite a lot
    The motorway network in France must seem a lot more appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

kub wrote: »
    I wonder, as truckers are only too familiar with the state of the roads in this country and traffic issues.
    Have many decided it was easier to take a ferry to France from Dublin rather than having to face the backlog approaching Dunkettle from the M8 side.
    Then the traffic on the N40, when we have our usual fender benders which result in ridiculous delays and then having to travel down a rural borreen which is backed up with traffic quite a lot
    The motorway network in France must seem a lot more appealing.

No I don't think so, purely because I can't imagine people preferring Dublin based on traffic elsewhere on the island. However bad the congestion gets in Cork - and it does get very bad - it gets worse in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I've been on the ferry to France out of Dublin, Rosslare and Cork and have spoken to plenty truckers. The truckers much prefer Rosslare because it's easy to predict the travel time to the port. Most hate the M50 as you can't reliably predict the travel times and the tunnel/South Ring rd/Carr's Hill can be unpredictable for travel times as well. Also, quite a lot of the distribution centres are based around Dublin/Kildare. That's only about a reliable 2 hours from Rosslare where Ringaskiddy is 4 to 5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Also, the port in Santander is right in the middle of town whereas the port in Bilbao is outside of town and there's an motorway/dual carriageway right to the port entrance

ianobrien wrote: »
    Also, the port in Santander is right in the middle of town whereas the port in Bilbao is outside of town and there's an motorway/dual carriageway right to the port entrance

Imagine that, a motorway directly to a port entrance, i wish we could have that in Ringaskiddy. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

From the Irish Examiner article:
    The ferry company said hauliers have told them that Rosslare, given its proximity to Dublin and the east coast road network, is a preferred option.

Hauliers operating on the European mainland have also said that Bilbao is more attuned to freight traffic and has easier transport links into Europe.

Based on that, it seems the roads to the ports are of crucial importance to the hauliers.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-loses-out-as-ferry-firm-moves-spain-route-to-rosslare-978456.html

Proximity to Dublin would be a bigger factor. No doubt the road would help, but I don't think it would have been a deciding factor by any means.
    Any way you cut it, Rosslare is closer to Dublin. If Dublin port had the capacity the ferry would probably go directly there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The New Ross bypass is a massive gain for Rosslare, but the Wexford bypass, the N24/N25, the N11 north of Wicklow Town are all bottlenecks on the 2 routes into Rosslare.

It's important to remember that the roads leading to the N28 from all areas except Dublin are pants too. Only the M8 qualifies as acceptable and the M8 leads directly to another port with UK and European sailings.

If the Port of Cork was accessible from places that don't have their own ports it might become more popular. I have no doubt that an M20 would do more for Port of Cork sailings than an M28.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

danny004 wrote: »
    Disastrous ,the months just ebb away ,although I dont expect it will make much difference this time of year with it being election season.
    Im wondering is the judge now considering their application for an appeal

What is the reference codes for this case to find in on the courts website, not able to find it based on the info above

Who is the plaintiff/ defendant?

What is the reference codes for this case to find in on the courts website, not able to find it based on the info above

Who is the plaintiff/ defendant?

I documented the search steps here:

Current status is that it was adjourned on 23/01/2020 and is listed for 12/03/2020

Not related to the M28 as such, but it does involve Jerry Buttimer who is backing the Steering Group.

https://twitter.com/EoinBearla/status/1226093551458684929?s=20

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

No evidence it's related, but interesting nonetheless.

spacetweek wrote: »
    No evidence it's related, but interesting nonetheless.

Correct.

Not related to the M28 as such, but it does involve Jerry Buttimer who is backing the Steering Group.

https://twitter.com/EoinBearla/status/1226093551458684929?s=20

Thanks for posting that. Despicable behaviour. He was off my list because of his support for the Steering Group but having seen that I’ll give him a preference, albeit a low one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Thanks for posting that. Despicable behaviour. He was off my list because of his support for the Steering Group but having seen that I’ll give him a preference, albeit a low one.

So because someone threw something through his window he's now a better candidate? Get off the stage

Nothing about it on the steering group page, I’d have expected them to stand up for their man to say the least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Buttimer polling 6%. Justice.

Advertisement