Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plastic Re-purposing Project as a community response in Galway

Options
  • 28-12-2019 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey everyone,

Im from Galway and iv been trying to get a project going for a couple of months now but I just don't have the money to be buying expensive machinery. I want to create a space where we can repurpose plastic waste into creative and useful things. I did some research and there are a few types of plastic (PET, HDPE etc) that are abundant around our homes that can be melted down and recast into different things or even cast into basic shapes and machined just like timber.

Iv secured the plans for the first machine, a location to store it, some very skilled individuals who are confident they can build it and a commitment that it will be used for the good of the community of Galway. In time we hope to get local schools involved and create some much-needed awareness around the alternative uses for plastic rather than incineration and landfill.

Now to the whole point of making this post. I'm in urgent need of a 2.2hp single phase motor with a gearbox that can reduce the rpm to as close to 80 as possible. I have been donated a motor already but it is only .25 kW and will not be powerful enough. I know this is a lot to ask but I bet there is a few people around Ireland with one laying in their garage gathering dust or at the very least someone who knows where I could purchase one for a very small fee.

I tried getting the local colleges involved but unfortunately, insurance is just too much of a minefield. One was very interested but as much as they wanted to they couldn't build it and hand it over to us. I'm sure however if we ever needed some advice or guidance they would be there for us.

If you google/YouTube "Precious Plastic" you will find the machines I want to build. Boards will not let me post links. Check out the Reddit page "Ireland" also.

Id really appreciate any help anyone could offer.

Advertisement