Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this the meat bargain of the year!

Options
  • 06-12-2019 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭

Lidl are doing a "Waste not" promo.
    Meat that has an expiry date of today or tomorrow will have a green sticker
    on it with any price of €2, €1.50 or €0.90c on it.
    I got 6 packs of 2 Striploin steaks for €12 total, should have been €54! :D
    Turkey steaks for .90c, 4 Chicken breasts for €2, 4 Salmon darnes for €2 and
    a few other meats.
    All expiring tomorrow so freezer bound.
    Should be in all Lidl stores.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The farmers will not be pleased, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭zell12

My local one is cleared out by vulturladies

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Basically the reduced section in Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Mickeroo wrote: »

Yeah but not as ****. The missus came home with reduced strawberries recently, still in good nick but when I pointed out she paid 2.65 for a punnet that were in the 2 for a fiver deal she wasn't best pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The farmers will not be pleased, lol.

Well subsidised by Leedil;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Some call it Salmonella corner:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

is there anything wrong with getting this and putting in frezzer for later.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DublinGirl738

Shouldn’t be unless stated otherwise on the packaging.
    I do it all the time with Aldi red sticker stuff I get

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Shouldn’t be unless stated otherwise on the packaging.
    I do it all the time with Aldi red sticker stuff I get

Yea same as , ill be going in trying to get a bit of steak later .

Thanks op

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

At least lidl discount it immediately rather than knocking a few cents off at a time as the day goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Absolutely not.
    The ones I got were OOD the next day so perfectly fine to freeze.
    Tesco mainly do stuff that expires that day at least Lidl are giving the extra day.
    They had a couple of Roast Beef joints for €2 as well but I would use instead of
    freezing that.
    For some reason they also had the 30% off stickers on some of the same meats with the same expiry date? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is this in one specific section in the LIDL fridges or just stickers on random items of stock in regular location?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

M&S do great discounts haha if I'm ever near one in the evening I go for a quick look for the yellow stickers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

At least lidl discount it immediately rather than knocking a few cents off at a time as the day goes on.

The reductions in tesco are done gradually to give more shoppers a chance to avail of them, not all people want to shop at seven o clock in the evening.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

seanl77 wrote: »
    The reductions in tesco are done gradually to give more shoppers a chance to avail of them, not all people want to shop at seven o clock in the evening.

And also to get more cash for the product. They want to get as much as possible to reduce the loss.

L1011 wrote: »
    And also to get more cash for the product. They want to get as much as possible to reduce the loss.

Well of course they do, but the final reduction stock at seven o clock is all wasted an hour later. So reducing it gradually is the fairest way to do it. Otherwise greed comes in and people lose their minds

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My local lidl seems to work like this.
    A piece of meat which is gone off on the 7th of December would be reduced Today by 30%.
    Tomorrow night on the 7th they'd throw a €1 or €2 sticker on it.
    We got mince last week for the cats and it was fairly cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

A piece of meat which is gone off on the 7th of December would be reduced Today by 30%.

"Gone off" is a bit of a strong term. "Use by the 7th" will have a few days built in so it'll be perfectly alright till the 9th or 10th and perhaps longer.

Remember the scandal a few years ago where supermarkets were repackaging chicken at its use by date into new packaging with a new use by date?

Let your nose be the judge of the use by date.

"Gone off" is a bit of a strong term. "Use by the 7th" will have a few days built in so it'll be perfectly alright till the 9th or 10th and perhaps longer.

Remember the scandal a few years ago where supermarkets were repackaging chicken at its use by date into new packaging with a new use by date?

Let your nose be the judge of the use by date.

Just because I use the word gone off doesn't mean I don't use my nose or appearance to judge food.
    It's just the word I use.
    We often buy stuff that is reduced to clear sometimes for ourselves and sometimes for the cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Yeah let your nose & eyes be the judge. 🙂
    Imagine eating smelly rancid chicken just because it WAS in date!

• Advertisement

lalababa wrote: »
    Yeah let your nose & eyes be the judge. 🙂
    Imagine eating smelly rancid chicken just because it WAS in date!

I have no idea how some people shops.
    They'd just lov anything into the trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Is this in one specific section in the LIDL fridges or just stickers on random items of stock in regular location?

Most of the ones I've seen were just green stickers on random items of stock in regular locations.

I'd say that was before they started this new campaign.
    If you buy something and don't like it, just bring it back to get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

seanl77 wrote: »
    Well of course they do, but the final reduction stock at seven o clock is all wasted an hour later. So reducing it gradually is the fairest way to do it. Otherwise greed comes in and people lose their minds

Much more labour intensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If it was gone off the cats wouldn't eat it, they are regularly used here for that purpose

If it was gone off the cats wouldn't eat it, they are regularly used here for that purpose

As I said it's just a word I used. I've explained myself. Move on!

I was just at Lidl everything was marked at €2 in the section. Stuffed turkey joints, salmon fillets and small pickers of diced chicken fillets.
    They were giving away some of the freshly cut flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Meow

banchang wrote: »
    Much more labour intensive though.

100% agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gobo99

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Yeah same thing as Tesco and all major supermarkets
    Tesco at 7pm is unreal when the fella comes with the sticker gun for the final reduction everything goes to 10%
    I spotted a leg of lamb for €1.80

The final reduction was known as "feeding time at the zoo" in tesco due to customers acting like famished animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Ya freezing beef in a domestic freezer happens too slowly which causes large ice crystals to form which breaks down the structure of the meat and turns it to mush. There are various work arounds but I wouldn't bother personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

I was just at Lidl everything was marked at €2 in the section. Stuffed turkey joints, salmon fillets and small pickers of diced chicken fillets.
    They were giving away some of the freshly cut flowers.

You see the thing is freshpopcorn that the term "gone off" has a very distinct meaning. It means that the food is already spoiled and unusable. You used the word incorrectly so you can get as huffy and defensive as you like but your use of the word was just wrong.

Advertisement