Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Healy Raes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Fair play to Michael for running the bingo outside dail eireann this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

It is not fair to blame the father for the sons wrongdoing, I don't condone what the son did, and think it is very bad, but MHR is a gentleman, I do not know his son, have never spoken to him

• Registered Users Posts: 18,951 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

goat2 wrote: »
    It is not fair to blame the father for the sons wrongdoing, I don't condone what the son did, and think it is very bad, but MHR is a gentleman, I do not know his son, have never spoken to him

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree as they say.

It wasn't licked off a stone

The screwing of the GAA club was done when underage so would have had to be done through parents btw (I'd imagine). Even if they didn't have to consent to anything, I know myself that if I tried to pull and stunt like that when I was that age I'd have be beat out of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree as they say.

It wasn't licked off a stone

The screwing of the GAA club was done when underage so would have had to be done through parents btw (I'd imagine). Even if they didn't have to consent to anything, I know myself that if I tried to pull and stunt like that when I was that age I'd have be beat out of the place.

What are you trying to articulate?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

What are you trying to articulate?

Wasn't the oul' fella was recently caught "stickin' it up to them fellas up above in Dublin" by claiming Dail expenses on a day when he spent the morning being interviewed by a radio station in Kerry and attending a funeral down there? Apparently he says he went in for a few minutes, swiped his fob and then fecked off....and claimed expenses for a days work in the Dail even though he wasn't there ....as he is entitled to do

Junior banged his head at hurling training and reached a settlement with the local GAA club so as not to pursue the matter further through the courts....again as he is entitled to do.

You need a certain kind of environment for that kind of mentality to develop - no? I wouldn't have been allowed to do anything like that and I'd say there are plenty like that. My father got a very bad GAA injury when I was very young. Couldn't do anything for a few months and he wouldn't accept a penny from the club even when his teammates just had a whip around for him. And he could have done with the money! I'm sure there were plenty of genuine cases like that in Mr. Healy Rae's club before he got his talons into them for his bang on his head.

They don't seem to miss a chance to take money off the table if it can be done. The same craic as yer wan Bailey or the fella in Cork who gets his expenses despite working in a different job in Europe.

But shure he fixsht de road!

• Advertisement

Wasn't the oul' fella was recently caught "stickin' it up to them fellas up above in Dublin" by claiming Dail expenses on a day when he spent the morning being interviewed by a radio station in Kerry and attending a funeral down there? Apparently he says he went in for a few minutes, swiped his fob and then fecked off....and claimed expenses for a days work in the Dail even though he wasn't there ....as he is entitled to do

Junior banged his head at hurling training and reached a settlement with the local GAA club so as not to pursue the matter further through the courts....again as he is entitled to do.

You need a certain kind of environment for that kind of mentality to develop - no? I wouldn't have been allowed to do anything like that and I'd say there are plenty like that. My father got a very bad GAA injury when I was very young. Couldn't do anything for a few months and he wouldn't accept a penny from the club even when his teammates just had a whip around for him. And he could have done with the money! I'm sure there were plenty of genuine cases like that in Mr. Healy Rae's club before he got his talons into them for his bang on his head.

They don't seem to miss a chance to take money off the table if it can be done. The same craic as yer wan Bailey or the fella in Cork who gets his expenses despite working in a different job in Europe.

But shure he fixsht de road!

Who's the fella in Cork and what job did he do?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,267 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Wondering if some on this thread are dogsbodys for them?

Who's the fella in Cork and what job did he do?

Read about it here

He was elected to the Dail, lost his junior ministry a few years back, more or less decided not to turn up to the Dail any more, got a new job in Brussels, still claimed his Dail expenses (says that he was technically present for enough days per year......same as MHR says he was technically present on the day he was in Kerry...) then resigned yesterday due to the story hitting the news a few days ago.

Read about it here

He was elected to the Dail, lost his junior ministry a few years back, more or less decided not to turn up to the Dail any more, got a new job in Brussels, still claimed his Dail expenses (says that he was technically present for enough days per year......same as MHR says he was technically present on the day he was in Kerry...) then resigned yesterday due to the story hitting the news a few days ago.

So he wasn't there for a couple of years?

And claimed expenses for being there while getting paid to do a different job at the time?

Is that the jist of it?

And claimed expenses for being there while getting paid to do a different job at the time?

Is that the jist of it?

I think so. More or less. At the very least he didn't have any notable input for a long time and was workign this other job on the side.

I think there is a minimum like 120 days that he was supposed to be present in the Dail and some articles appeared to indicate that he said he fulfilled the rules (even if he didn't really enter the actual chambers or contribute much, if anything.)

So it could be a bit like MHRs fob being scanned into the building on the morning he traveled to Kerry and him saying that he went in very early, scanned in, and then drove down to Kerry (and claimed his expenses for that day for working in the Dail in Dublin).
    Maybe your man did go in on 120 mornings and scan in, and even use his office there but possibly for other work.

Allegedly of course...as they say

• Advertisement

I think so. More or less. At the very least he didn't have any notable input for a long time and was workign this other job on the side.

I think there is a minimum like 120 days that he was supposed to be present in the Dail and some articles appeared to indicate that he said he fulfilled the rules (even if he didn't really enter the actual chambers or contribute much, if anything.)

So it could be a bit like MHRs fob being scanned into the building on the morning he traveled to Kerry and him saying that he went in very early, scanned in, and then drove down to Kerry (and claimed his expenses for that day for working in the Dail in Dublin).
    Maybe your man did go in on 120 mornings and scan in, and even use his office there but possibly for other work.

Allegedly of course...as they say

Ah yeah, same thing shur.
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/all-about/dara-murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Is that the jist of it?
    The papers are saying that he 'clocked in' regular as ... well clockwork whenever the Dail wasn't sitting.

The papers aren't saying that he got someone else to clock in for him.

No one has said that he never clocked in on those days even though no one ever saw him. He's just discreet OK!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,074 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The papers are saying that he 'clocked in' regular as ... well clockwork whenever the Dail wasn't sitting.

The papers aren't saying that he got someone else to clock in for him.

No one has said that he never clocked in on those days even though no one ever saw him. He's just discreet OK!

Is there a clocking out procedure for the dail as well? Or is the case that he just turned up, clocked in, and then buggered off somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Is there a clocking out procedure for the dail as well? Or is the case that he just turned up, clocked in, and then buggered off somewhere else?
    There's no clocking out procedures but none of the papers have alleged that he was basically just 'tapping the fob'.

Deputy Murphy appears to have achieved some kind of scientific breakthrough regarding one of time travel, bilocation or going faster than light!

And the minute the issue is raised, he resigns as a TD?

Which means he can't be investigated?

Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Healy Rae brothers given suspended sentences.

http://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2019/1206/1097456-healy-raes-court/

• seligehgit wrote: »

I wish my dad was a TD so I could go and beat the head off someone tonight with no consequences.

I assume Idbatterim feels the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Berserker5 wrote: »
    I see councillors doing that , claiming something they had little to do with

And if its something on the other councillors patch even better

Let us never forget this smug FG clown Derek Keating. Took all the credit for a school in Lucan when he had actually done nothing. Got called out on it and had every copy of the local news removed from shops

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fg-condemns-party-aide-for-removing-papers-from-shops-1.1386630?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 23,392 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

seligehgit wrote: »

Independent Councillor Jackie Healy-Rae and his brother Kevin have been given suspended jail sentences of eight months and seven months respectively, following their conviction at Kenmare District Court of assaulting a man in Kenmare, Co Kerry over Christmas in 2017.

The two men, of Sandymount, Kilgarvan, are sons of Independent Kerry TD Michael Healy-Rae.

They were convicted along with a third man, Malachy Scannell, of Inchinacoosh, Kilgarvan, of assaulting an English visitor to Kenmare during which he was punched in the face half a dozen times.
    Kieran James, 30, who was on a visit from the UK to his cousins in Kerry, told the court that Kevin Healy-Rae jumped the queue at a chip van, declaring that this was his town and his chip van, before pushing him.

Mr James said his brother Jackie caught him in a headlock and he was unable to breathe.

Mr James said he, his wife Lauren, and others in his party left when the assault finished, but were followed up Main Street by the two Healy-Raes and Scannell.
    He said Jackie Healy-Rae caught his arm behind his back and punched him, and the other two joined in.

He said he was punched in the face half a dozen times. His nose was bleeding, he had a cut over his eye and torn ligaments in his shoulder.

Mr James' wife said his face was swollen and disfigured. She said he was almost unrecognisable.

All three defendants denied the charges against them.

Redneck country. They lie about their involvement and still walk.

Justice in Ireland eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Will Jackie have to give up his council job as a result of the suspended conviction? I think the judgment was fair. Im not a fan of the Healy Raes and am thankful that the judge was recently appointed to the area and appears to be beyond influencing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

This is going straight to appeal against the sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

by the convicted for too severe or the DPP for too soft?

The cameras don't lie!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

By the convicted for being too severe. May as well.

I suspect the CC may very well agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carbon125

Things could have turned out much worse for the Healy-Raes... For example, if they had not paid their TV license.

The judgement is not being appealed. The 3 defendants will now face a civil suit. The civil suit will hit their pockets hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Maren Squeaking Sander

How can one of them be found guilty for 2offences and still get a suspended sentence.
    Scandalous result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

How can one of them be found guilty for 2offences and still get a suspended sentence.
    Scandalous result!

Because they had no previous convictions, according to the news. I had no idea we operated a free pass for the first offence, ima gonna make good use of mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

I know it was asked before here but wasn’t answered. Can Jackie keep his councillor job? Or go for the Dail in the future..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I know it was asked before here but wasn’t answered. Can Jackie keep his councillor job? Or go for the Dail in the future..?

Yes and Yes.

Advertisement