Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Carol25 wrote: »
    Another concern...Mayo’s clubs aren’t progressing very far at national level in the club championship.

We'll have to get used to it I'm afraid

When Corofin go away it'll be huge commuter areas like Salthill and Claregalway that Mayo clubs have to compete with in Connacht. Both clubs would have the pick of about 5 Ballintubbers

Club football is heading towards urban and City-suburb domination imo. Only exceptional rural clubs will be able to compete

In fairness the last 4 years our reps have gone out to Corofin, one of the best club teams of all time. In the last decade we have had 2 teams In the last decade we have had 2 teams in the Junior final and 4 in the Intermediate final, thats second only to Kerry and Tyrone.

Galway will have 16 senior teams and 16 intermediate teams from next year, so it'll be very difficult for Mayo clubs going forward - in intermediate especially

In theory the 17th best team in Galway should have the beating of the 17th in Mayo. Galway has a far bigger population, has a City, and is a huge county by area.

The Neale who won intermediate in Mayo this year wouldn't have made it beyond the Galway intermediate quarters this year and that's no sleight on them personally

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Beagslife

The One that got away! Mickey Moran again proving his worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

jr86 wrote: »
    We'll have to get used to it I'm afraid

When Corofin go away it'll be huge commuter areas like Salthill and Claregalway that Mayo clubs have to compete with in Connacht. Both clubs would have the pick of about 5 Ballintubbers

Club football is heading towards urban and City-suburb domination imo. Only exceptional rural clubs will be able to compete

Maybe so but playing population isn't everything at club level. If it was then Westport should be the strongest club in Mayo and Ballintubber should be borderline intermediate.

As an aside, Westport and Claremorris were in the U21 A final yesterday evening for a 2nd year in a row (3 in a row for Westport). Both clubs were in the relegation play offs at senior level this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,864 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Beagslife wrote: »
    The One that got away! Mickey Moran again proving his worth.

Even though I am from Donegal, I would not begrudge Mickey Moran an Ulster Clubs title.

He is a gentleman, but God love him when he managed Donegal, the headers in that team would have broken the heart of a saint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Lukekul wrote: »

And they get to "oversee" any future sponsorship deals?

Looks like they are just buying power

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

And they get to "oversee" any future sponsorship deals?

Looks like they are just buying power

"A status report is provided on current sponsorship deals with a commitment that all future deals go through a competitive bid process."

That doesn't read like they're trying to 'buy power'. All sponsorship deals should be decided through a competitive and impartial process, with the best package winning out. Maybe they're suspicious that previous or current deals didn't meet that criteria.

"A status report is provided on current sponsorship deals with a commitment that all future deals go through a competitive bid process."

That doesn't read like they're trying to 'buy power'. All sponsorship deals should be decided through a competitive and impartial process, with the best package winning out. Maybe they're suspicious that previous or current deals didn't meet that criteria.

"the Foundation is allowed provide independent oversight of the bid process for all sponsorship deals."

The CB will never agree to that part.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭doc_17

Was that true that a young lad was prevented from playing an u21 club final yesterday in Mayo because the county wanted to assess him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

https://twitter.com/RefComeOn/status/1201497593462902785?s=19

I generally hate people who come out with "ah what is the game coming to?" but I think it's deserved here. Mad stuff

doc_17 wrote: »
    Was that true that a young lad was prevented from playing an u21 club final yesterday in Mayo because the county wanted to assess him?

Saw on twitter

Absolutely scandalous if true.

Apparently he was out injured the last few weeks. It would be good to know whether he was fit to play in the club game before everyone loses their sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Not that it really matters (except for fuelling extra fire) the game wasn’t a county final

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    "the Foundation is allowed provide independent oversight of the bid process for all sponsorship deals."

The CB will never agree to that part.

In fairness what they are requesting has gone over the line imo. Granted there are issues but there appears to be a drive to get more into the running and the operations. While the CB have only themselves to blame, you will only have these two pulling in different directions. Their demands have gone too far.

I hate that they have this public as well. They should have come to agreement privately and none of this deadline stuff.

Apparently he was out injured the last few weeks. It would be good to know whether he was fit to play in the club game before everyone loses their sh1t.

As the marquee player he should still be very much a part of a championship match though, even if it's to do water on the line or help with the warm up or whatever. In his defence though under 21 just sadly isn't taken seriously anymore though, he certainly wouldn't be the first player to show indifference towards it.

The optics don't look good though overall. Lets just say there would be zero hope of this happening south of the border, where the county manager is one of the proudest club stalwarts in the history of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

jr86 wrote: »
    As the marquee player he should still be very much a part of a championship match though, even if it's to do water on the line or help with the warm up or whatever. In his defence though under 21 just sadly isn't taken seriously anymore though, he certainly wouldn't be the first player to show indifference towards it.

The optics don't look good though overall. Lets just say there would be zero hope of this happening south of the border, where the county manager is one of the proudest club stalwarts in the history of the game

Christ you would swear these guys have the best practices and procedures. They have bigger issues with money (credit cards) and their prior manager couldn't get players from certain parts to commit. Stop talking BS.

Stop talking BS.

Ehhh ok, what have I said that's untrue?

I'm talking about PJ being pro-club, where credit cards and stuff come into this conversation goodness knows

Club does seem like a complete after thought in Mayo at times. I find it baffling that 15k can come out in crap weather for league games yet a big county final of quite a good standard is in the very low thousands. This is for a supposed football mad county with no competition for attendance from other sports

• Advertisement

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Club does seem like a complete after thought in Mayo at times. I find it baffling that 15k can come out in crap weather for league games yet a big county final of quite a good standard is in the very low thousands. This is for a supposed football mad county with no competition for attendance from other sports

There was over 8k at the Breaffy Ballintubber final last year. Not many counties get a bigger attendance than that. This year had a smaller crowd but you also need to factor in that every game is streamed on Mayo GAA T.V. It's harder to attract neutrals when the games can be watched at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

There was over 8k at the Breaffy Ballintubber final last year. Not many counties get a bigger attendance than that. This year had a smaller crowd but you also need to factor in that every game is streamed on Mayo GAA T.V. It's harder to attract neutrals when the games can be watched at home.

You get more on a Sunday but the TV streaming money isn't as good for the CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

irishgeo wrote: »
    You get more on a Sunday but the TV streaming money isn't as good for the CB.

They are still going to pull in a fair bit more from those that can’t go due to distance or who would not otherwise be interested as a neutral. From my own perspective I’ve no particular connection with teams outside of Erris so the idea of driving across the country to go to a game I have no connection to is just not going to fly. Paying a fiver to watch it in my own house is something I have done and will continue to do.

I’ve never understood how people don’t see that population and parish, given that it’s what makes e club game, is the precise same reason why you have less at club games than you do at county. You have the entire population of Mayo that will follow the county team but when you break that down to the 50 or so clubs then the population that would follow particular clubs is obviously going to be considerable less.

According to the Mayo News today, O'Donoghue missed the club game through injury and was attending a medical assessment in Castlebar. So it looks like the mob can put their pitchforks away!

Blackjack wrote: »

I’ve never understood how people don’t see that population and parish, given that it’s what makes e club game, is the precise same reason why you have less at club games than you do at county. You have the entire population of Mayo that will follow the county team but when you break that down to the 50 or so clubs then the population that would follow particular clubs is obviously going to be considerable less.

I suppose thats why there was barely anyone at the two semi finals this year involving Ballina and Castlebar? Two huge population centers in club terms. Neutrals make up a huge portion of attendance at a club game, its the same everywhere.

Mayo's county attendance gets bolstered compared to clubs because, to its credit, its tapped into the daygoing social fan who only comes out from the very hyped days in other counties, and made them regulars. Probably because there is constant hype around the team. The type of people who use Green and Red heart emojis after every social media post, can recite the old standard Mayo 15 off by heart but wouldn't have heard of D.Coen until this year, and know about 5 players from the rest of the country. People who cried about tickets for the Dublin Mayo semi but didnt watch the Kerry Tyrone one the following day. Technically Mayo fans but not football fans. So Mayo's club attendance comes into line with most counties (and significantly less than some Ulster counties) while county attendances remain huge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I suppose thats why there was barely anyone at the two semi finals this year involving Ballina and Castlebar? Two huge population centers in club terms. Neutrals make up a huge portion of attendance at a club game, its the same everywhere.

Mayo's county attendance gets bolstered compared to clubs because, to its credit, its tapped into the daygoing social fan who only comes out from the very hyped days in other counties, and made them regulars. Probably because there is constant hype around the team. The type of people who use Green and Red heart emojis after every social media post, can recite the old standard Mayo 15 off by heart but wouldn't have heard of D.Coen until this year, and know about 5 players from the rest of the country. People who cried about tickets for the Dublin Mayo semi but didnt watch the Kerry Tyrone one the following day. Technically Mayo fans but not football fans. So Mayo's club attendance comes into line with most counties (and significantly less than some Ulster counties) while county attendances remain huge

You're just using club game attendances as a vessel to have a go at Mayo. Give it a rest, good man.

What exactly are you giving out about? You admit that every county has bandwagon fans who show up on the big occasions, the difference with Mayo being they show up to most league and championship games?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

So what are these attendance figures you are so seemingly concerned about, or are you just here to have your usual sly dig or veiled efforts at trolling?.

What exactly are you giving out about? You admit that every county has bandwagon fans who show up on the big occasions, the difference with Mayo being they show up to most league and championship games?!

Exactly that yeah. I'm actually not having a go at all, the theme of the conversation and a wider one that's happening regularly is how Mayo club is treated versus county. Brolly was on the radio talking about it at the weekend, obscene numbers being spent on county teams but small clubs struggling for survival and he was referencing ones he's living close to in mayo now. It's great that ye get the bandwagoners going regularly, my county certainly doesn't. It's just how this mass of hype around the county team differs from the indifference shown to club that's the interesting point and yesterdays furore brought that to light. Two of yer biggest media supporters on twitter are constantly bangiong on about this fact, see the ticket allocation dispute before the Donegal game last year, general sale vs club allocation. So ya can point away saying im trolling but it's a genuine topic

• Advertisement

Exactly that yeah. I'm actually not having a go at all, the theme of the conversation and a wider one that's happening regularly is how Mayo club is treated versus county. Brolly was on the radio talking about it at the weekend, obscene numbers being spent on county teams but small clubs struggling for survival and he was referencing ones he's living close to in mayo now. It's great that ye get the bandwagoners going regularly, my county certainly doesn't. It's just how this mass of hype around the county team differs from the indifference shown to club that's the interesting point and yesterdays furore brought that to light. Two of yer biggest media supporters on twitter are constantly bangiong on about this fact, see the ticket allocation dispute before the Donegal game last year, general sale vs club allocation. So ya can point away saying im trolling but it's a genuine topic

Yourself and Joe Brolly certainly love talking about Mayo football, that's for sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement