Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

PressRun wrote: »
    Haven't heard any rumours about anyone walking away. At this stage, you'd imagine if anyone was going to go, they'd have said so?

I think there are 7 gone from the 2019 panel. Schlingermann, Cafferkey, Crowe, Drake, Regan, Diskin and Andy. 9 or 10 newbies have been called up so far.

Are any players carrying an injury into the new season, apart from Jason Doherty?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

BandMember wrote: »
    If memory serves, Crossmolina also hosted league games back in the day.

I remember Kiltimah hosting a league game back in the early 80's i think, it was V Down. Was a big deal for the club and the town at the time

seligehgit wrote: »
    No indication that he's left the panel.

Curious as to the extent of a cull James Horan will carry out.

Michael Schlingermann the third choice goalkeeper has left the panel.

Devil a chance you guys could divert a bit of your hard earned cash away from covey land to the impoverished environs of Castlebar?

You could set up camp with the O Sheas in Breaffy.:)

TBH I can't blame you.

Always glad to extend an invitation to beautiful Mayo.

He was actually dropped,certainly didnt walk away anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭C__MC

Hi mayo fans
    Looking for some help

Have any of ye been to ruslip gaa in London for a game?
    If so where did u stay and what is nearest airport ?

Many thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

C__MC wrote: »
    Hi mayo fans
    Looking for some help

Many thanks
    Heathrow is definitely the nearest public airport . If you can get the RAF / ( or maybe a Private Jet ) then RAF Northolt is little more than half a mile down the road .;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

He was actually dropped,certainly didnt walk away anyway

Fair enough.

I definitely saw it reported in one of the papers he'd walked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Fair enough.

Surprised that he was dropped with him being there for the Underdogs game.
    I do not know a lot about him, but he seemed competent under the high ball and his kick-outs seemed good.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

charlie14 wrote: »
    Surprised that he was dropped with him being there for the Underdogs game.
    I do not know a lot about him, but he seemed competent under the high ball and his kick-outs seemed good.

He looked way too small for an intercounty keeper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

C__MC wrote: »
    Hi mayo fans
    Looking for some help

Many thanks

Stayed in Camden the last time which was a good spot. With the tube you can really stay anywhere. Flew into Stanstead which was about an hour from central London (can get train or bus).

km79 wrote: »
    He looked way too small for an intercounty keeper

I wouldn`t have thought him small. 6ft give or take an inch and at least 12 stone. Looks pretty much the same build as Stephen Cluxton to me at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Panrich

BandMember wrote: »
    If memory serves, Crossmolina also hosted league games back in the day.

My very first Mayo match was a league match in Crossmolina back in 1968 against Clare as a 5 year old.

I still remember the red stripe that seemed to stand out vividly against what I remember as a bottle green jersey.

My father who brought me was from Knockmore and was delighted to see Peter Hughes score a great goal that day. I remember that goal very well but Unfortunately I have to rely on MayoGaaBlog to recount that Joe Corcoran scored 2-2 and John Morley scored 1-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Fair enough.

in a interview he said he walked. no chance of getting ahead of Clarke or Robbie.

wanted to get back playing soccer but was caught as he is working in allergan. think he signed for castlebar celtic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Barlett

Did not see that coming with Gavin!!

Barlett wrote: »
    Did not see that coming with Gavin!!

Very very surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

Cluxton will follow

Insert “so you are telling me there is a chance “ gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

All the advantages Dublin now have make the whole thing a farce . Even Gavin could not continue with that sham .

Juicy contest in prospect tonight as Westport take on Claremorris in the under 21 final tonight at 19.00.

Can't make it myself.

km79 wrote: »
    Cluxton will follow

Insert “so you are telling me there is a chance “ gif

From your lips to God`s ears.

Very very surprised.

A bit surprised, but not overly.
    Declan Darcy gave quite a few interviews this year where it was made clear he was Galvin`s right hand. Thought it unusual in that Galvin has always hated anyone within the camp, players or backroom giving interviews, so I imagine it was with Galvin`s approval.
    Dessie Farrell would be the favourite I imagine, but if Galvin was to put his weight behind Darcy on the basis of continuity then who knows.

Declan Darcy gave quite a few interviews this year where it was made clear he was Galvin`s right hand. Thought it unusual in that Galvin has always hated anyone within the camp, players or backroom giving interviews, so I imagine it was with Galvin`s approval.
    Dessie Farrell would be the favourite I imagine, but if Galvin was to put his weight behind Darcy on the basis of continuity then who knows.

I heard Gavin on the radio news yesterday talking about needing a licence from the IAA if people are buying drones for Christmas. I thought it unusual at the time since he rarely speaks publicly on anything. It's very late in the day to be changing managers even if they do have someone lined up already.

• Advertisement

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    I heard Gavin on the radio news yesterday talking about needing a licence from the IAA if people are buying drones for Christmas. I thought it unusual at the time since he rarely speaks publicly on anything. It's very late in the day to be changing managers even if they do have someone lined up already.

He is top tier in the IAA so highlighting the problems and requirement on drones would be within his remit so that interview would not surprise me, but it is not the pressure in the day job that is the reason for him going. Imagine he has had this planned for some time.

I know a bit about him from my own job and he is not someone who makes rash decisions.
    With the league just around the corner short notice alright, but then he is so meticulous in all aspects it would not surprise me that if he is backing Darcy, he would see it as an advantage to Darcy with it being a handover giving continuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I've heard him talking about drones in interviews before. It's not the first time he's done it. So don't think it's all that relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Carol25

Jim Gavin was a super manager, he gave nothing away, ran a tight ship and played the in form players when needed. No one was too big to be dropped.
    Mayo have gone through their fair share of managers during his reign...and am so tired of seeing internal County board drama in the news. Another concern...Mayo’s clubs aren’t progressing very far at national level in the club championship. Are these clubs capable of providing the county team with top players for future competitions...I think Mayo need to start looking forward and stop living in the past.

100% charlie14.

I pmed a much missed Dublin poster and am of the same opinion.

I think Darcy is most likely Gavin's anointed successor admittedly based on a very limited knowledge of the ins and outs of the Dublin setup.

He appears the person most likely to continue the process.

Anyway I'm not discussing such matters any further on the Mayo thread!:)

Carol25 wrote: »
    Jim Gavin was a super manager, he gave nothing away, ran a tight ship and played the in form players when needed. No one was too big to be dropped.
    Mayo have gone through their fair share of managers during his reign...and am so tired of seeing internal County board drama in the news. Another concern...Mayo’s clubs aren’t progressing very far at national level in the club championship. Are these clubs capable of providing the county team with top players for future competitions...I think Mayo need to start looking forward and stop living in the past.

In what way are mayo living in the past?

I'm not saying our clubs can't do better but they've been losing to Corofin at the end of the day. The same as every other county champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭muddle84

I think there are 7 gone from the 2019 panel. Schlingermann, Cafferkey, Crowe, Drake, Regan, Diskin and Andy. 9 or 10 newbies have been called up so far.

Are any players carrying an injury into the new season, apart from Jason Doherty?

Is Regan officially gone? I hadn't heard he was gone gone

In what way are mayo living in the past?

I'm not saying our clubs can't do better but they've been losing to Corofin at the end of the day. The same as every other county champions.

I would have looked on a county`s senior club doing well nationally as more a hindrance than a help to county teams in that their players were unavailable for practically all of the national league under the old St. Patrick`s day format.

At least bringing the All Ireland club finals forward should help in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

muddle84 wrote: »
    Is Regan officially gone? I hadn't heard he was gone gone

He is gone as a player. He is now officially the team nutritional advisor.

irishgeo wrote: »
    in a interview he said he walked. no chance of getting ahead of Clarke or Robbie.

wanted to get back playing soccer but was caught as he is working in allergan. think he signed for castlebar celtic.

https://www.offtheball.com/soccer/micheal-schlingermann-927721
    However, in early November it was announced that he was dropped from the Mayo panel.

Schlingermann had started the win over the Underdogs in MacHale Park back in late October and he was looking forward to showing what he could do in 2020 for the green and red.

“I was looking forward to making a push and playing a game or two in next year's campaign but unfortunately it didn’t work out that way for now”.

• Advertisement

Carol25 wrote: »

In fairness the last 4 years our reps have gone out to Corofin, one of the best club teams of all time. In the last decade we have had 2 teams in the Junior final and 4 in the Intermediate final, thats second only to Kerry and Tyrone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement