Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judgement day for Maria Bailey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I don’t do tweets so plead ignorance. Has Niamh retweeted explaining her plane of thought?

She gave a defence of the article on the Tonight Show along the lines that Bailey has been bullied for six months and that she is a mother of two children so thats not on, blah, blah, blah. Ivan Yates basically laughed at Horan and said politics is a rough game and if you cant stand the heat in the kitchen then get out. Horan is clearly sucking up to Maria in the hope of getting an 'exclusive interview' with her where we hear how unfairly poor Maria was treated. Expect the mental health excuse to get trotted out when this happens.
    Tbf mother Madigan was on the show to talk about priests etc, and he didn't let Josepha just slither away at the end like I think she would like to have done, he actually asked for her to remain where she was so as he could ask her about two other very important questions he had.

Verona Murphy

Maria Bailey.

Madigan didn't sound very comfortable answering either tbh.

What did Mother Madigan say about priests? I know Mary McAlesse seems to be in a race to be Irelands first ever female priest but the good Mother has already beaten her to it by saying mass in Mount Merrion church when the parish priest didnt bother show up, he was probably sick of listening to aul ones moaning about their bunions. The poor parishioners/voters were very disappointed so Mother Madigan led them into salvation and said mass for them. I heard she gives a good mass, she really knows how to work the alter. And her confessions shall remain sacrosanct, unless of course Bailey leaks them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Muahahaha wrote: »

What did Mother Madigan say about priests? I know Mary McAlesse seems to be in a race to be Irelands first ever female priest but the good Mother has already beaten her to it by saying mass in Mount Merrion church when the parish priest didnt bother show up, he was probably sick of listening to aul ones moaning about their bunions. The poor parishioners/voters were very disappointed so Mother Madigan led them into salvation and said mass for them. I heard she gives a good mass, she really knows how to work the alter. And her confessions shall remain sacrosanct, unless of course Bailey leaks them :pac:

Hold your whist....
    Catherine Byrne
    Byrne was appointed Minister of State for Communities and the National Drugs Strategy. Upon Leo Varadkar's appointment as Taoiseach, she was appointed also, as Minister of State for Health Promotion in June 2017....

Byrne was leader of St. Michael's Folk/Gospel Group for 15 years and has completed a two-year Lay Ministry Course in All Hallows College, and also holds a Diploma in Catering.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_Byrne_(Irish_politician)

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

A letter that triggers alarm bells for Fine Gael

Had been reading a few articles via twitter and how the decision to delete Bailey came about, and how it contrasts with the VM saga.

Apparently secret internal polling has had a direct impact on both of their predicaments.

Leo himself admitted it was down to the secret polling that prompted him to ultimately axe Bailey - she is now most likely going to pursue this legally.

But VM is apparently polling strongly, and so - and despite the likes of Charlie Flanagan disassociating himself from her, she's being kept on with full support of Leo.

If I am reading between the lines here, you can make statements about immigrants, even if they're viewed as derogatory by some members of the public - stay where you are so long as you'll gain a seat for the party.

Lodge an extremely questionable claim, and try and get a handy few bob from a local business, and later lie about stuff both on the national airwaves, and to your party leader, and have a report launched as to your conduct, that concludes that you overstated injuries, and made statements that couldn't be reconciled they'll also stick by you too**

**Until polling data indicates you might do badly in an election, then the long knives appear you're dropped like a hot spud, and barrows full of money will be found to make sure you can't successfully run against them in an election.

Party first and foremost, morals and conduct second.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Marcos

Will Josepha's firm represent her if she actually takes legal action? :p

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭tigger123

A letter that triggers alarm bells for Fine Gael

Had been reading a few articles via twitter and how the decision to delete Bailey came about, and how it contrasts with the VM saga.

Apparently secret internal polling has had a direct impact on both of their predicaments.

Leo himself admitted it was down to the secret polling that prompted him to ultimately axe Bailey - she is now most likely going to pursue this legally.

But VM is apparently polling strongly, and so - and despite the likes of Charlie Flanagan disassociating himself from her, she's being kept on with full support of Leo.

If I am reading between the lines here, you can make statements about immigrants, even if they're viewed as derogatory by some members of the public - stay where you are so long as you'll gain a seat for the party.

Lodge an extremely questionable claim, and try and get a handy few bob from a local business, and later lie about stuff both on the national airwaves, and to your party leader, and have a report launched as to your conduct, that concludes that you overstated injuries, and made statements that couldn't be reconciled they'll also stick by you too**

**Until polling data indicates you might do badly in an election, then the long knives appear you're dropped like a hot spud, and barrows full of money will be found to make sure you can't successfully run against them in an election.

Party first and foremost, morals and conduct second.

Wasn't it too late to deselect Verona? So, FG doesn't really have any option but to make her apologise and back her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

tigger123 wrote: »
    Wasn't it too late to deselect Verona? So, FG doesn't really have any option but to make her apologise and back her?

Or they could do the right thing and withdraw their support for her immediately on the basis that her views are not acceptable. Just like they should have done with Maria Baile and Alan Farrell, but for Fine Gael it's not about decency or ethics or anything else other than the best interests of the Fine Gael party.

For decency and ethics vote ABFG.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Or they could do the right thing and withdraw their support for her immediately on the basis that her views are not acceptable. Just like they should have done with Maria Baile and Alan Farrell, but for Fine Gael it's not about decency or ethics or anything else other than the best interests of the Fine Gael party.

For decency and ethics vote ABFG.
    Her views are not acceptable to whom? You?
    When did you get to decide what’s decent and ethical?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,368 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The way things are going with machete attacks on 13 year old girls she’d probably increase her vote if she reiterated her comments from 10 years ago.

splinter65 wrote: »

Seeing as you asked, the justice minister for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Seeing as you asked, the justice minister for one.

The justice minister is entitled to his opinion same as everyone else. No more valid then yours or mine though.
    I have no idea why you think he is the “standard”?

• Advertisement

The justice minister is entitled to his opinion same as everyone else. No more valid then yours or mine though.
    I have no idea why you think he is the “standard”?

Obviously he's entitled to his opinion, I never suggested otherwise.

I don't think he's the standard, but (in case you need reminded) you asked the following:
    Her views are not acceptable to whom?

I clearly stated one example was Charlie Flanagan.

Why Charlie?
    • Justice minister
    • Also her director of election.
    • Possible party colleague.

Apparently Leo (the leader of the party she's standing for) didn't think it acceptable either, hence her being "reprogrammed".

Apparently other ministers have distanced themselves from the comments too.

You asked. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Isnt that just Leo all over, leadership is not about doing the right thing for him, its about commissioning polling and then being led by that when he finds out what way the wind is blowing. He was the same with gay marriage, he didnt get behind it until he saw that the polls had an unassailable lead for a Yes vote. Had the polls been saying the No side was likely to win then Leo would have campaigned for a No vote, thats how fickle he is. He is basically a shepherd led by his sheep.

The most important, the public. We all decide. Politicians are judged and vetted by the public. We tell them how it is. Fine Gael have a habit of putting themselves above the people they work for.

Going back to their roots? :)

Disclaimer: this is a headline from a satirical paper :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Isnt that just Leo all over, leadership is not about doing the right thing for him, its about commissioning polling and then being led by that when he finds out what way the wind is blowing. He was the same with gay marriage, he didnt get behind it until he saw that the polls had an unassailable lead for a Yes vote. Had the polls been saying the No side was likely to win then Leo would have campaigned for a No vote, thats how fickle he is. He is basically a shepherd led by his sheep.

The worse part is that he's so stupid to admit it. Brings every other decision he's making into question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I'm not sure why there is such vitriol for Leo and FG

What about tax dodger Mick Wallace - I actually thought he was quite effective in the Dail - he was the first person to mention the garda whisleblower

What about Michael Lowry? He's a criminal and still he's allowed to stand for government and is elected - outrageous stuff

FF had a few historic ones as well like Willie O'Dea, Charles Haughey, Bertie "I don't have a bank account" Ahern the Finance Minister, Liam Lawlor and Ray Burke.

We shouldn't vote for these criminals - if you don't agree with what a TD, or a perspective TD says, don't vote for them.

And if they are criminal, they shouldn't be allowed to even stand - Maria Bailey lied on court documents, she should go.
    Willie O'Dea lied on court documents, he should go.
    Lorraine Clifford Lee said something on twitter 8 years ago before she joined the Seanad, I actually agree with what she said, but as soon as it came out she apologise and kept apologising.
    Verona Murphy said something 3 times which was racist - if you don't want this type of person in politics don't vote for them.

I'm not sure why there is such vitriol for Leo and FG

What about tax dodger Mick Wallace - I actually thought he was quite effective in the Dail - he was the first person to mention the garda whisleblower

What about Michael Lowry? He's a criminal and still he's allowed to stand for government and is elected - outrageous stuff

FF had a few historic ones as well like Willie O'Dea, Charles Haughey, Bertie "I don't have a bank account" Ahern the Finance Minister, Liam Lawlor and Ray Burke.

We shouldn't vote for these criminals - if you don't agree with what a TD, or a perspective TD says, don't vote for them.

And if they are criminal, they shouldn't be allowed to even stand - Maria Bailey lied on court documents, she should go.
    Willie O'Dea lied on court documents, he should go.
    Lorraine Clifford Lee said something on twitter 8 years ago before she joined the Seanad, I actually agree with what she said, but as soon as it came out she apologise and kept apologising.
    Verona Murphy said something 3 times which was racist - if you don't want this type of person in politics don't vote for them.

I'll field this one if I may.

Leo is the political leader of the country.

The Fine Gael party, (the law and order party) have their membership found wanting when it comes to doing as they say. Bailey, Murphy, previously McElvaney, Conlon, Lowry are an insight to their member. We want to know the caliber of people we are electing. They are found to be misrepresenting themselves. This is not uncommon, but they are in government so rightly garner more attention.

Mick Wallace? FG's reputation doesn't stand or fall based on whataboutery. Again, Wallace isn't the political leader of the country.
    Fine Gael, the party, dodged a tax for 9 years straight ffs.
    Lowry is of Fine Gael and practically still is. Dinny still gets looked after by FG, why is that? I mean wouldn't it send a message if we stopped giving him sweet deals?

People vote for who they vote for. Case in point FG are in government. What can you do?

It's up to the parties and the public. FG only gave Bailey the elbow because the story wouldn't die. They'd have no qualms about keeping her ilk in government. Look at Verona Murphy.

Back to the first point, generational crises worsening by the day while patting themselves on the back for how great they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I can understand why people give out about the government - I just don't understand why its just them and not all the rotten apples.

I'm not saying not to give out if you so want, but I'd want all the criminal feckers out - regardless of their party.

We know some of them are criminal so why do we, as a public, keep voting for them - what is wrong with the voting public? If they are crooked, racist, liars etc, don't vote for them.

Sometimes I think we deserve every ****ty thing we get - we do the same thing and expect a different outcome

I can understand why people give out about the government - I just don't understand why its just them and not all the rotten apples.

I'm not saying not to give out if you so want, but I'd want all the criminal feckers out - regardless of their party.

We know some of them are criminal so why do we, as a public, keep voting for them - what is wrong with the voting public? If they are crooked, racist, liars etc, don't vote for them.

Sometimes I think we deserve every ****ty thing we get - we do the same thing and expect a different outcome

Because Leo and Fine Gael make the policies that effect our lives.

Up to the electorate. They can be a disappointing bunch.

It's self interest and/or political dynasty. Bailey has nothing to offer except her family name IMO, for what that's worth.

True dat. Expect FF on the top bunk after the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Leo is a proven spoofer, devoid of principle, decisiveness and character. You can just see him waiting for some sweet EU or private sector position.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Leo is a proven spoofer, devoid of principle, decisiveness and character. You can just see him waiting for some sweet EU or private sector position.

He has been a massive disappointment. After years if ineptness from Enda, it wasn't difficult to impress.

He has been a massive disappointment. After years if ineptness from Enda, it wasn't difficult to impress.

At least Kenny was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What she said came out of the blue and a lot of it is inspired by events around own ISIS bride, soon to return. A week and a bit out from an election they have to back her. Not clear if she has much hope and even if she does get in they can always revisit selection. With Deasy going they need another pugnacious straight talker!

is_that_so wrote: »
    What she said came out of the blue and a lot of it is inspired by events around own ISIS bride, soon to return. A week and a bit out from an election they have to back her. Not clear if she has much hope and even if she does get in they can always revisit selection. With Deasy going they need another pugnacious straight talker!

Hardly straight talk if a grimace from Leo has her retracting and fudging.

Hardly straight talk if a grimace from Leo has her retracting and fudging.
    TBH no idea where they found her. Doesn't seem to be much of a candidate.

It's numbers. My local FG TD has zero experience outside of some catering and running a choir. She was known in the community, that's all. She's burnt that bridge I reckon. Basically the idea FG stand for anything outside of getting into office is coming to the fore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

It's numbers. My local FG TD has zero experience outside of some catering and running a choir. She was known in the community, that's all. She's burnt that bridge I reckon. Basically the idea FG stand for anything outside of getting into office is coming to the fore.

gender quotas are giving women politicians a bad name. There are areas where the best candidates are not able to run due to the quota.Its sexism of a different type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Not much of a party so a good fit really.

Not much of a party so a good fit really.
    I'm sure most parties would be happy to be "not much of party" if they were the main party in government. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

He is very popular in the EU and the image he portrays abroad.

We all know domestically what an absolute spoofer he is. The record speaks for itself.

Advertisement