Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2013 Reg Number

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I didn't go through all posts in this thread, but from what I can see some people seem to think that displaying year on numberplate is a reason for the same cars having different value depending on year.
    That's not true.

Most countries in Europe don't display year on numberplate, but car manufacture year is always one of the most important factors when it comes to second hand car price.
    F.e. two exactly the same cars (the same model, the same spec) but one 2008 other 2009.
    Surely 2009 will be worth much more than 2008, even though it's not displayed on numberplate, and only the owner knows how old is his car.

I can see one significent difference though comparing f.e. Ireland to Poland.
    In Poland it's not the first registartion date which matters, but manufacture date. That's the date indicated in car documents (reg cert).
    So new car sales is spreaded over the year quite evenly, but price goes down throughout the year.
    For example the same brand new car at dealers will be the most expesinve in Januray, and price will go down subsequently throughout the year.
    At the end of the year there are always sales.
    And eventually whatever 2012 stock they won't be able to sell in 2012, they will put on big sales at the begining of 2013.
    So you can buy brand new 2012 car in 2013 for much cheaper than 2013.

I think that's the better idea than like in Ireland having dealers to wait until 2013 to register car manufactured in 2012 registered with 131 plate and sell it for full price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

CiniO wrote: »
    Having a county indicated, where it doesn't change with the owner doesn't make much sense either, as most cars change it's first owner after 3 maybe 4 years, and very often next owner is from different county.

Agreed. It's irrelevant information, in Ireland anyway. Unless it's for purely parochial reasons of course.

AFAIK in Germany you are required to change the reg plate when you move to a new administrative area. Same applies to citizens (re-registration that is, not new plates!).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Back in 08 I was buying a new S-Max, and the salesman told me that if I chose the green (by far my favourite colour of those available, although it was a pretty dull green...), he'd give me €1500 less for it if I ever came back to trade it in than he'd give for a black, grey or silver one.

Why? Because some people think green cars are unlucky. I haven't a superstitious bone in my body, but other people's superstitions about green make it rational for me to avoid buying a green car new.

Similarly, any idiot can verify exactly how old a car is, so a December car is verifiably only a month older than a car from the following January, but the widespread insane belief that it loses a years value in a month means it really does lose a years value in a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

People here seem to constantly say we have a new car obsession here because the year is shown on the plate. So whats the reason for people in other countries buying so many new cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jesuslovesme

The regs is other countries don't make any sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

does it have to make sense? why can't a car have a random number (and letters) generated and assigned to it?

The Irish system is easier to follow, but that may be due to the fact that I am irish and have grown up with the system.

I assume people that have grown up in a particular country have little issues with their registration system in terms of understanding it.

Backfire wrote: »
    I assume people that have grown up in a particular country have little issues with their registration system in terms of understanding it.

No, the current Irish system is far, far clearer that the old Irish system I grew up with.

Because people can understand it, they can actually remember bits like "It was definitely a 10-D reg".

A string of apparently random letters and numbers like the british one (or our old one) is harder to memorize, even partially.

Why?
    In Poland registration plate shows where the owner lives.

I'm not saying it's necessary (as IMO it isn't) but it does make sense no matter how you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Thanks for your understanding and calm reply (I did sound like I 'knew it all' and exerting anger for no reason...maybe its because I am poor :))

But on topic...
    When you say issue 14 plates late in the year, do you mean for use BEFORE January 1st?
    Also you state that cars with '132' plates will have little difference in value to the '131' plates, that may be so...but this is Ireland. I would not be surprised if you do see significant differences, mainly implemented deliberately by dealers (nationwide).

The vanity associated with number plates has profound impacts on car sales and deals, do not expect that to disappear overnight due to the implementation of this new number plate system. :)

Yes exactly issue 14 1 plates in July 2013 in Ireland

after all they will issue them in August in the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think this entire conversation is a bit moot really on reflection..

It assumes after all that, in a climate of increased motor tax, running costs, increased anti-car measures by local councils, and where every 4 out of 5 cars is 5 years or older that people are actually still going to be surging into dealers to buy new cars at all (what with property taxes, all sorts of stealth taxes, cutbacks etc etc)

But hey, what do I know.. maybe 20131 :rolleyes: will mark a brave new beginning for our motor trade

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

CiniO wrote: »
    Why?
    In Poland registration plate shows where the owner lives.

I'm not saying it's necessary (as IMO it isn't) but it does make sense no matter how you look at it.

Well, it's almost as accurate as the system here.

WPR 65KU - W stands for Masovian Voivodeship, while the PR stands for "Powiat" - in this case Pruszkowski.

Here you're only missing the PR bit, but I guess that's because they don't have that here!

(I can imagine the same system here :D) DRN 00001 as an example - Dublin, Rathfarnham - No. 1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Back in 08 I was buying a new S-Max, and the salesman told me that if I chose the green (by far my favourite colour of those available, although it was a pretty dull green...), he'd give me €1500 less for it if I ever came back to trade it in than he'd give for a black, grey or silver one.

Why? Because some people think green cars are unlucky. I haven't a superstitious bone in my body, but other people's superstitions about green make it rational for me to avoid buying a green car new.

Similarly, any idiot can verify exactly how old a car is, so a December car is verifiably only a month older than a car from the following January, but the widespread insane belief that it loses a years value in a month means it really does lose a years value in a month.

You let a dealer and a handful of idiots dictate what colour car you want? More fool you.

Sobanek wrote: »
    Well, it's almost as accurate as the system here.

WPR 65KU - W stands for Masovian Voivodeship, while the PR stands for "Powiat" - in this case Pruszkowski.

Here you're only missing the PR bit, but I guess that's because they don't have that here!

(I can imagine the same system here :D) DRN 00001 as an example - Dublin, Rathfarnham - No. 1 :D

You missed the point.
    I live in Mayo but I have LK reg. (just because vehicle first owner in Ireland lived in LK area.
    My neighbour has D reg. Other neighbour has G. Next one is OY.
    We all live in Mayo, and we have all sort of reg plates - so when I drive to Dublin, no one will know that I've actually driven from Mayo.

In Poland when I have WPR reg it means that I live there.
    Obviously it's not 100% guarantee, as car might belong to company or bank (in case of leasing) and reg will indicate place where company or bank is located, not where I live.
    But in fact in vast majority of cases, reg shows where owner is from. So if I drive to some holiday resort and will be looking for B'n'B and owner will see WPR plate (from capital city) they will surely quote me higher price ;P

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

awec wrote: »
    What I don't get is whether it's 131 or 132 it's still a 2013 car and it's still going to devalue as a 2013 car come 2014. The year of the car is still on the plate.

Is a 132 car going to be worth more than a 131 car in future? Not likely. Is anyone really going to wait until the second half of the year when it's not really going to make a difference?

There shouldn't be a difference in the pre-owned value of a 131 and 132 car in the future but the vanity of the Irish people will make this so.

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

awec wrote: »
    If they want to fix the vanity issue the only solution is to remove the year from the license plate altogether.

A 132 car is still a 13 car.

Yes I agree with you, but this will never happen as having the year on the number plate is a profound catalyst for new car sales. ;)

You let a dealer and a handful of idiots dictate what colour car you want? More fool you.

Feel free to blow your own €1500 on whatever colour you prefer next time you're spending €40K.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

There shouldn't be a difference in the pre-owned value of a 131 and 132 car in the future but the vanity of the Irish people will make this so.

We need a Savanarola in the Dail!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,539 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

He who will not economize will have to agonize.
    Confucius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

To be far I think this may have the opposite effect on car sales.
    I can see it going two ways;

1/ People do not buy new cars as often because the will get half the amount of time for it being 'new'. 6 months with 131 vs 12 months with 13.

2/ People still buy there new cars in 131 instead of 132 because the 141 number will be a year newer.

We will have to wait and see how it all pans out.

Can we just not have private plates, cheap tax, no VRT, no commercial conversion. Wait no we cant this is Ireland where everything car related is stupid.

Advertisement