Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Victoria Sponge Birthday Cake

• 11-08-2010 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭

I'm making my Nanas' 70th Birthday cake and she like's Victoria Sponge (made with eggs, sugar, flour, Butter as opposed to egg, sugar, flour)

Actually I'm not sure which is the classic sponge? I think the latter is traditional plain sponge cake - well that's what I dont want.

Anyhow, if anyone had a great recipe please pass it on - I'm thinking of going with Delia on this one http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/baking/how-to-make-all-in-one-sponge.html

I'm also thinking about going with this
    Madeira Sponge Cake

Ingredients:

350g/12oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
    275g/10oz Caster Sugar
    275g/10oz Soft Margarine
    5 Eggs
    3 Tablespoons Milk
    Method:

1. Line an 8"/20cms round deep cake tin with a double layer of greaseproof paper.
    2. Pre-heat oven to 150°C 300°C Gas 2.
    3. Sieve the flour into a bowl and add all the other ingredients.
    4. Beat all the ingredients together, gently, using a low setting on the mixer.
    5. When ingredients are combined increase speed and beat for one minute.
    6. Spoon mixture into the prepared baking tin and smooth the top.
    7. Cook in the centre of the oven for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours. Test the cake by lightly pressing the centre, it should spring back and the top should be golden brown.
    8. To be extra sure, insert a skewer or knife and if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked.
    9. Leave in tin for about 15 minutes, then turn onto a wire tray to cool.
    10. When completely cold wrap in greaseproof and store in a cool dry place.
    Variations

1. Add the rind of a lemon or an orange for a citrus flavour.
    2. For Almond flavour add a teaspoon of Almond Essence, for Vanilla Flavour add a teaspoon of Vanilla Essence.
    3. Alternatively, add 50g/2oz desiccated coconut if liked.
    Notes:

The above cake is really quick and easy to do and produces a cake that is firm and yet has a moist texture. Ideal for slicing!
    This cake is suitable as a middle tier for a wedding Cake

(odlums Recipe)

I want something between a madeira and a sponge, not to light is the key!!

I'm going to fill and cover it with butter Icing and pipe happy birthday on top, decorated with chocolate dipped strawberries :)

Like this
    strawberryweb2.jpg

I'm not decided on pure white butter icing or a luscious Chocolate Fudge Icing, with white piping...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That sounds yum.
    Compared to a traditional sponge that recipe you posted will probably turn out a lot lighter sponge generally isn't very dry but with 5 eggs that one will be almost melt in your mouth.

Just made a chocolate all in one sponge cake coz I'm lazy dumped a load of chocolate butter cream on it, you can't go wrong really yours will taste great.
    I do find butter a bit nicer than marg. in the cake itself and deffo. unsalted butter when making the butter cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Hi kerash,

Flour, eggs and sugar will make a traditional sponge. It will be dry, and is best eaten on the same day it is made.
    This sponge is made using the "foaming" method, where the eggs and sugar are whisked until their volume increases, then sifted flour folded in. Whisking is what creates air bubbles which are the leavening agent for the sponge, so you don't need to use any baking powder/soda.

Adding melted butter to this sponge will create a Genoese sponge ("Genoise" in French). This is moister than a traditional sponge, with better flavour. A Madeira would have a slightly smaller crumb structure than either of these, but would be the moistest.

I would suggest using a Chiffon sponge for your cake. It is light, moist, with good crumb structure and flavour. I'll post up a recipe later. For the icing, I find using Italian buttercream a much lighter choice over classic French or American/Simple (butter & icing sugar), especially seeing as you have a whipped cream and jam filling, having a very rich buttercream around the cake can taste out of place.

I forgot to add that you can get cake flour in most Polish shops, labelled "Tortowa," which is much better than using plain, and is worth the effort to get. Also if you have the time, I would suggest testing out the recipes and seeing which one you think would be best.

And if you need practice piping "Happy Birthday," you can do it on silicone baking paper, pop it it the freezer, then transfer it to the cake with a palette knife while frozen. This is the safest option, as I have seen disasters with people piping chocolate directly onto cakes before (spelling mistakes, smudges, wrong size/scale).

Chiffon Cake

Makes 1 x 12" round

Ingredients:
    • 80ml Butter, melted & cooled - EDIT: Use 100g unmelted to get 80g melted
    • 4 Egg yolks (from large eggs)
    • 120g Water
    • 1/2 Tbsp Vanilla extract
    • 200g Cake or Plain flour
    • 200g Caster sugar
    • 2 tsp Baking powder
    • 4 Egg whites
    Directions:

1. Whisk melted butter, egg yolks, water and vanilla until pale.
    2. Sift flour, 100g of the sugar, and baking powder.
    3. Whisk into the wet ingredients for 1 minute.
    4. Whisk egg whites to soft peak. Make meringue with the remaining 100g sugar, whisking for 2 mins. Fold into batter.
    5. Bake @ 180c for 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That recipe sounds yum you're a genius Magicmonkey with freezing the letters.

• Advertisement

Thanks Guineapigrescue, but I can't take credit for it, just something I picked up along the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Hi kerash,

Flour, eggs and sugar will make a traditional sponge. It will be dry, and is best eaten on the same day it is made.
    This sponge is made using the "foaming" method, where the eggs and sugar are whisked until their volume increases, then sifted flour folded in. Whisking is what creates air bubbles which are the leavening agent for the sponge, so you don't need to use any baking powder/soda.

Adding melted butter to this sponge will create a Genoese sponge ("Genoise" in French). This is moister than a traditional sponge, with better flavour. A Madeira would have a slightly smaller crumb structure than either of these, but would be the moistest.

I would suggest using a Chiffon sponge for your cake. It is light, moist, with good crumb structure and flavour. I'll post up a recipe later. For the icing, I find using Italian buttercream a much lighter choice over classic French or American/Simple (butter & icing sugar), especially seeing as you have a whipped cream and jam filling, having a very rich buttercream around the cake can taste out of place.
    Thanks for that it's good to know the difference between those.
    I'm not filling it with cream a jam, it'll be all butter cream, filled and covered.
    I forgot to add that you can get cake flour in most Polish shops, labelled "Tortowa," which is much better than using plain, and is worth the effort to get. Also if you have the time, I would suggest testing out the recipes and seeing which one you think would be best.

And if you need practice piping "Happy Birthday," you can do it on silicone baking paper, pop it it the freezer, then transfer it to the cake with a palette knife while frozen. This is the safest option, as I have seen disasters with people piping chocolate directly onto cakes before (spelling mistakes, smudges, wrong size/scale).
    Cool I've never heard of Tortowa before. I'll have to try them out because I fear the chiffon might be too light for her taste.
    That's a brilliant tip for piping! thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 inthegateaux

10 oz Self Rasing
    10 oz butter or stork
    10 oz caster sugar
    5 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla essence

cream marg and sugar, add eggs then flour. don't overbeat,just enough to blend mixture,

very simple victoria sponge cake my grandmother used to make
    just delicious too and not dry at all tastes just devine with raspberry jam. It's one of the reasons I started baking, i just was fascinated by this simple recipe and the fabulous results from just mixing them together :D

Cake is baked (used the first maderia recipe) now cooling it's lovely and golden so far so good. Have my buttercream made, with 3 fillings, chocolate, white chocolate and strawberry buttercream and vanilla for the outside.
    Have my strawberries dipped in dark choco(lindt 70% melts really well) and drizzled with white chocolate.

Pics later when it's all put together! Fingers crossed that goes well cos I can be slightly clumsy under pressure :eek: Also debating piping a birthday message on the cake, I have candles that say happy birthday they might do instead...

Pic of the baked cake
    45677_1601163832012_1323548852_1609449_5342020_n.jpg

• Advertisement

finished cake - plz note, un-spreadable butter cream + travelling Dub to longford = lobsided cake! No my best! It tasted awesome tho :D

LMAO at the pics:D

Your cake looks awesome kerash, and the photos are great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Want. nyom nyom nyom.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Feu

hey i realise you did your cake for your party already, but i just wanted to post about the victoria sponge i made recently. While i bake a lot i had never made a viccy sponge and was asked to make one recently. I was a bit scared but by a coincidence i had seen this around the same time

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/may/15/victoria-sandwich-recipes-fearnley-whittingstall

It's from Mrs Beeton, and Hugh recommends using the same amount of flour, eggs and sugar as the eggs weigh. Ie. if the eggs weigh 250g, then you used 250g of flour etc.

It is probably one of the easiest cakes i've ever made, but looks amazing at the end, as a good victoria sponge is very impressive! I'd really recommend this recipe to anyone who wants to make one but is scared!

It turns out very moist, and remains moist the next day. I suppose due to the eggs.

BTW OP, your cake looks amazin! My icing skills are nowhere near that level!!

My birthday soon Kerash.
    *clears throat.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    My birthday soon Kerash.
    *clears throat.
    any requests? Will post a pic :P

The victoria sandwich cake, stick it in an envelope please.

Oooh Squishy :D

Advertisement