Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do women go off sex?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Sleepy wrote: »
    I've seen that thread (and your rather strange advice in it). Isn't it funny how some women can see no wrong in anyone of their own gender? :rolleyes:

The notion that he's not providing any of her needs is nothing more than an assumption as he's never stated whether they're affectionate in other ways, whether they generally get on, if he pulls his weight at home or their marriage is happy in other ways. The OP has clearly stated his other half isn't prepared to discuss the issue with him so how would he even know if his other half felt this way?

Most people (yourself included from what you've posted in other threads) would consider a relationship without sex to be one that's not worth living in. scholar007 has stated he feels stuck with this relationship due to financial reasons and their having kids together. (you're wrong here btw scholar007, if the marriage has deteriorated to the point where it's not worth saving, your kids would be better off with you and your wife living your own, happier lives, frustrated and miserable parents don't make for good role-models).

If your wife won't discuss the issues with you, would she consider marriage counselling. The vary fact you're suggesting it should be enough to let her know how serious a state your marriage is in as usually counselling ends in one of two ways: a couple re-building a happy marriage (which sex is very much a part of) or going their separate ways...

Be prepared to hear things you don't like at the sessions and it may be the case, as curlzy assumes, that there are other areas of your marriage where you're the one not pulling your weight, it may be the case that your wife is in fact asexual and has never enjoyed your sex life together, seeing it only as a means of attracting a man and having babies and it may be the case that you're better off apart from each other. Sure, finances will be squeezed dreadfully by a separation, they usually are but children are better off with two poor but happy parents that live apart than parents that make each other miserable and who clearly resent each other.

OP - the above post tells you everything you need to know to deal with the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I've seen that thread (and your rather strange advice in it). Isn't it funny how some women can see no wrong in anyone of their own gender? :rolleyes:

The notion that he's not providing any of her needs is nothing more than an assumption as he's never stated whether they're affectionate in other ways, whether they generally get on, if he pulls his weight at home or their marriage is happy in other ways. The OP has clearly stated his other half isn't prepared to discuss the issue with him so how would he even know if his other half felt this way?

Most people (yourself included from what you've posted in other threads) would consider a relationship without sex to be one that's not worth living in. scholar007 has stated he feels stuck with this relationship due to financial reasons and their having kids together. (you're wrong here btw scholar007, if the marriage has deteriorated to the point where it's not worth saving, your kids would be better off with you and your wife living your own, happier lives, frustrated and miserable parents don't make for good role-models).

If your wife won't discuss the issues with you, would she consider marriage counselling. The vary fact you're suggesting it should be enough to let her know how serious a state your marriage is in as usually counselling ends in one of two ways: a couple re-building a happy marriage (which sex is very much a part of) or going their separate ways...

Be prepared to hear things you don't like at the sessions and it may be the case, as curlzy assumes, that there are other areas of your marriage where you're the one not pulling your weight, it may be the case that your wife is in fact asexual and has never enjoyed your sex life together, seeing it only as a means of attracting a man and having babies and it may be the case that you're better off apart from each other. Sure, finances will be squeezed dreadfully by a separation, they usually are but children are better off with two poor but happy parents that live apart than parents that make each other miserable and who clearly resent each other.

If my advise was so strange and weird why did you quote me and then say "This is good advice. Speak to him about it somewhere private at a time when neither of you have any demands on your time. It's not a conversation for the breakfast table when you're on your way to work or for a coffee shop where the girl at the next table can eavesdrop!" that's a direct quote from you regarding my advise. :confused::confused::confused:
    Perhaps you're thinking of something else I wrote?

Anyways the difference here isn't gender Sleepy, to me anyways, it's the age and family situation that's the difference. The girl on the other thread is 22 and there's no children involved, she can totally walk away. The OP on this thread is married and has kids, not so nice if he just walks away, although his happiness his happiness is important too. The thing is if the OP here is displaying this "why do women go off sex?" attitiude then it's really not going to help his cause, it's whingey and sad and sexist. He's much better off trying to talk to his wife in a non sexual environment and really impressing on her how much it's affecting him. It sounds like she's just shutting down whenever he speaks and to be honest if he's continuously approaching this as something to do with gender I don't blame her.

Seriously OP, rather then turning into a woman hater why not try and get some decent dialog going? Would you rather loose your family and everything you've built than try to communicate about this again?

Just thinking, maybe, could you write her a letter? Then you can just leave it with her and tell her in it how this is making you feel. Perhaps she would be more able to take it in if she has time to mull it over rather then reacting to you in conversation? Just a thought anyways.

Either way OP, if this was down to gender and babies then no one would be having sex over the age of 45 and you know that's not true.

Best of luck to you, your wife and your kids.

*** EDIT: With regards to Sleepy's suggestion that she may be asexual and never enjoyed sex, I did a little search and it seems that 1% of adults (male and female) are asexual, perhaps she IS in the 1%? Another thing for you to discuss with her, ask if she actually enjoys/enjoyed sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

scholar007 wrote: »
    Actually, I have been thinking about this a bit more, surely physical intimacy is an integral part of a relationship? My moods or how Im feeling generally don't diminish my desire so why are women different? Surely its a basic human need that you want to have sex every now and then? :confused:

Sex is either a feast or a famine in some long term relationships.
    We all want sex some times but not with someone we don't like, maybe this is the problem with your wife.
    You cannot assume all women are like your wife same as you are not like all men. Moods vary for everyone.
    Physical intimacy is a very important part of any relationship, you and your wife obviously have different issues and I think counselling is what ye need.

What age is she? if you don't mind saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

hondasam wrote: »
    What age is she? if you don't mind saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Do you think she still fancies you and sees you as a lover?

If she will not discuss it and does not have any interest in sex with you, can you face another 30-40 years without it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

curlzy wrote: »
    If my advise was so strange and weird why did you quote me and then say "This is good advice. Speak to him about it somewhere private at a time when neither of you have any demands on your time. It's not a conversation for the breakfast table when you're on your way to work or for a coffee shop where the girl at the next table can eavesdrop!" that's a direct quote from you regarding my advise. :confused::confused::confused:
    Perhaps you're thinking of something else I wrote?
    Nice selective quoting - the warped "denial of her pleasure" bit you conjured up before hand was clearly what I was referring to, as was clearly laid out in the rest of the post you're quoting.
    Anyways the difference here isn't gender Sleepy, to me anyways, it's the age and family situation that's the difference. The girl on the other thread is 22 and there's no children involved, she can totally walk away. The OP on this thread is married and has kids, not so nice if he just walks away, although his happiness his happiness is important too. The thing is if the OP here is displaying this "why do women go off sex?" attitiude then it's really not going to help his cause, it's whingey and sad and sexist. He's much better off trying to talk to his wife in a non sexual environment and really impressing on her how much it's affecting him. It sounds like she's just shutting down whenever he speaks and to be honest if he's continuously approaching this as something to do with gender I don't blame her.
    I got the impression it was asked generally in a "why do women do this?" way because it's quite a common problem tbh. A woman's libido waning is probably second in frequency only to the "he/she left me how can I get over him/her? wah!" or "I like this guy/girl, what should I do?" threads.

I sincerely doubt he's talking to her in a "why do women do this?" fashion: he's discussing his problem in the abstract. Something men are quite prone to do. In general, we're not often great at discussing our emotions and, as such, find it easier to discuss them in a broader, abstract way.
    Seriously OP, rather then turning into a woman hater why not try and get some decent dialog going? Would you rather loose your family and everything you've built than try to communicate about this again?

Just thinking, maybe, could you write her a letter? Then you can just leave it with her and tell her in it how this is making you feel. Perhaps she would be more able to take it in if she has time to mull it over rather then reacting to you in conversation? Just a thought anyways.

Either way OP, if this was down to gender and babies then no one would be having sex over the age of 45 and you know that's not true.

Best of luck to you, your wife and your kids.

*** EDIT: With regards to Sleepy's suggestion that she may be asexual and never enjoyed sex, I did a little search and it seems that 1% of adults (male and female) are asexual, perhaps she IS in the 1%? Another thing for you to discuss with her, ask if she actually enjoys/enjoyed sex.
    Some of your advice (like the above) is great, there's just no need to couch it in such an overly defensive, looking for the misogynist in every male manner.

OP - some feedback on your thoughts on peoples suggestions would help those of us trying to give you advce, do you recognise any of the suggested reasons why your wifes sex drive has all but disappeared as being possibilities?

Nice selective quoting - the warped "denial of her pleasure" bit you conjured up before hand was clearly what I was referring to, as was clearly laid out in the rest of the post you're quoting.

I got the impression it was asked generally in a "why do women do this?" way because it's quite a common problem tbh. A woman's libido waning is probably second in frequency only to the "he/she left me how can I get over him/her? wah!" or "I like this guy/girl, what should I do?" threads.

I sincerely doubt he's talking to her in a "why do women do this?" fashion: he's discussing his problem in the abstract. Something men are quite prone to do. In general, we're not often great at discussing our emotions and, as such, find it easier to discuss them in a broader, abstract way.

Some of your advice (like the above) is great, there's just no need to couch it in such an overly defensive, looking for the misogynist in every male manner.

OP - some feedback on your thoughts on peoples suggestions would help those of us trying to give you advce, do you recognise any of the suggested reasons why your wifes sex drive has all but disappeared as being possibilities?

Thanks for all the advice / opinions - The only thing I am sure of is she went right off it just after our last child was born (10 years ago) - It was kind of that she felt she had enough of that kind of thing. As I said when I met her first it was great - she would even do bjs / dress up etc. Alas no more :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Thanks for all the advice / opinions - The only thing I am sure of is she went right off it just after our last child was born (10 years ago) - It was kind of that she felt she had enough of that kind of thing. As I said when I met her first it was great - she would even do bjs / dress up etc. Alas no more :(

Same happened to me after my last was born, it's taken 5 years for me to get back into it. It wasn't anything my hubby did or didn't do I just wasn't that into it.

I got myself a ummm rabbit ( if you know what I mean) and I read a lot of books most of those books would have very romantic scenes not full sex scenes but sexual scenes- just the way the man would touch the woman ( my hubby was very hands off unless he wanted something) so i started asking him for hugs and kisses, I found myself becoming more sexual and making first contact.

It also didn't help that our 12 year old in in the next room and can here us turn in the bed let alone wrestle in the bed so we would have to wait until all the kids were asleep and by that time we could to to tired. So we arranged lunch time meet ups at home and it worked very well, neither of us were tired and we both had energy.

But the thing is we talked about it, we were both open about what we wanted.

Just to add, sex has never been better for both of us, he got a few supprises from the books I've read (I copied a few things)... I was not as open to things before, I was quite reserved where as now I know what I want, I know what I like and I can show him what I want/like. Before I didnt express those wants or desires.

As young lovers you flirt all the time, I would suggest you start flirting with your wife. If like me she thinks the only time you touch her is when you want something she could start resenting you. This is what happened with me.

I love flirting with my hubby now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Im not trying to turn this into a gender issue. Far from it. No she is not normally intimate. That stopped when our family was complete. She seems to be happy with what she has and does not need sex anymore - Simple as! - I feel kind of shortchanged to be honest because there is diddly squat I can do about it - I cant afford to leave and I have kids so im stuck!

Talk to her about contraception options.
    Do you consider your family finished?
    Would you consider getting the snip?

Sharrow wrote: »
    Talk to her about contraception options.
    Do you consider your family finished?
    Would you consider getting the snip?

Whats contraception got to do with it? Yes we are not having anymore.

The snip? - No way! - I wouldn't feel like a man anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

If family is finished, and you want to have sex, then contraception has to come into it. The pill, condoms, calendar... you have to use something if you haven't had the snip. 39 is fertile. Women can and do have children right into their late 40s.

If she is on the pill, or any other kind of hormone, then that can affect libido. If you want to use the calendar method instead, then it's off limits for certain times in the cycle.

Also, bear in mind that birth can do a good bit of damage sometimes. If there were stitches or tears from the last birth, they may have healed badly and cause sex to be either painful or be left with no feeling at all in that area. (That can often be addressed by a doctor by the way)

Most people react badly to being pestered for something. It's the Mrs Doyle effect. go on go on go on go on go on... feck off Tea. If you've accidentally done the pestering thing, then the best remedy would be to try being affectionate without it ending in sex for a while. And let it build from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Whats contraception got to do with it? Yes we are not having anymore.

It takes two to tango. If you do not take any responsibility then I can actually empathise with your wife. Birth control and contraception is the responsibility of BOTH partners not one!

If your wife at all had any complications during her pregnancies and childbirths then maybe it's fear of getting pregnant again. Maybe this is why she does not want sex anymore. I know that I feared having sex after my second child because my pregnancies and childbirths were terrible. When my husband and I had sex after my second pregnancy, we used extra precautions, birth control, spermicide and condoms well it didn't work as I got pregnant with number three! After I got my tubes tied, guess what? got pregnant again five years later:eek:. Then it was my husband's turn to get snipped. It didn't make him any less of a man and getting my tubes tied didn't make me any less of a woman either. We no longer wanted to take the risks and I told my husband if he wanted sex he had to get it done because if I was able to get pregnant with all those precautions then abstinence was my only option as that is 100% fool proof. He went and got the procedure done very fast ;).

Take some responsibility and maybe she will feel wee bit at ease if this is her primary concern.
    Thanks for all the advice / opinions - The only thing I am sure of is she went right off it just after our last child was born (10 years ago) - It was kind of that she felt she had enough of that kind of thing. As I said when I met her first it was great - she would even do bjs / dress up etc. Alas no more

Maybe she has different views about sex as you do? Maybe she views within the context of marriage as procreation? When you met her and had this explosive sex - did you ask then why it stopped? Maybe, OP your relationship dynamic turned from husband and wife to housemates? This happens a lot and have two friends going through a divorce now because of it. If this has been happening for 10 years why did you wait until now to do something about it? Ten years is a very long time to sit around and wait and is enough time to get used to it like your wife has. I agree that it is not fair to you as you feel neglected. Have you considered that not talking about it or not doing anything until now has made her feel neglected too? Maybe it is more about sex, OP. I think there may be a communication issue here that has manifested into lack of sex. If you are married this long and your wife cannot speak about it, sounds like you both are not very good at communicating. Ten years living like this is more like distancing than an intimate communicative partnership, imho.

I would be concerned and even with all of my pregnancies and childbirths from hell if my husband and I did not have sex. We would be discussing it pronto. Sexual intimacy is very important in any relationship especially in a long term commitment such as marriage. Before we got married we discussed about it and the importance because we did not want to be like those couples. This takes a lot of effort on both your parts and we still work very hard to maintain our marriage and sex lives. OP, you need to address any concerns regarding all aspects of your relationship from the start not wait around and hope for the best.

You are going to have to really sit down and talk with her about this. Venting here isn't going to help the situation, it will help getting it off your chest. But the person you need to be speaking about this is your wife. Take the kids over to their grandparents for a weekend and really have a deep conversation about this at home and how this is making you feel. You need to be prepared to hear her side of things as well. No accusative screaming match either. A good long talk with the possibility of marriage counselling or a sex therapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Once a woman hits 38 the contraceptive pills side effects can hit home very hard.
    If she is unhappy on the pill and is worried about getting pregant again and the pill is effecting her labido then it may have a lot to do with why you aren't getting any.

Is not having making you feel like you are not a man any more?

You need to sort out how you feel and talk all this through with your life.
    I honestly think you both should try couples counseling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

... Yes I'm in permanent employment and we have a nice gaff in a fairly salubrious area - so whats the problem?....

Mr OP ... this sentence on it's own says a whole lot about what the possible reason is for her to go cool.

Piliger wrote: »
    Mr OP ... this sentence on it's own says a whole lot about what the possible reason is for her to go cool.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

OP id ask her firstly if your happiness is important to her. Then ask her if she is still attracted to you, if yes then ask if she can think of any reason you don't have sex anymore as its making you unhappy. If she isn't attracted to you then you need to discuss seeing other people. This doesn't mean you have to break up and split the family. You need to decide whether you can be happy for the rest of your life with your current sex life.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Seems rather obvious but I've read the thread and I can't see where you've discussed this with her. If you've been unhappy for 10 years since she had your last child and you aren't able to approach her for an honest heart to heart then there are bigger issues afoot that your sex-life.

First things first, ask her what the issue is and then work together to find a solution you are both happy with. First of all though, you need to make it clear you aren't happy with or prepared to live with the status quo and ask that she at least meets you half-way - and that goes both ways so be prepared that finding a solution might mean exploring different contraceptive options or couple counselling and compromise on your side, too.

All the very best. :cool:

Anytime I raise the subject, its almost as if Ive started a row and then she will ignore me until I apologise for raising the issue (can go on for weeks - is this normal?) - It seems to suit her that I raise it and she then has an excuse to ignore me. :confused::confused::confused: - It affects every part of my life!

See above for what happens when I broach the subject. I don't know what to do to be honest. I can't aford to leave

See above for what happens when I broach the subject. I don't know what to do to be honest. I can't aford to leave

Are ye happy apart from the sex issue? would you really leave someone you love for this reason?

hondasam wrote: »
    Are ye happy apart from the sex issue? would you really leave someone you love for this reason?

Would you not consider it (or rather the lack of it) a bit of a problem?

• Advertisement

Depends on other parts of the relationship, sex is not everything. I dunno why it matters to you now or if it always did but I don't think she will change tbh.

You say you have a decent job and a nice house. Why can you not afford to leave? Surely sacrificing for some material down-sizing is better that existing in a shell of a relationship?

Well you say it has been like this for 10 years. It is very hard to understand why you have put up with it. You have not been clear about how good the other aspects of your relationship are. I am taking from the fact she is not speaking to you about the issue that communication and non-sexual intimacy and affection are not features of your relationship either.

Well you say it has been like this for 10 years. It is very hard to understand why you have put up with it. You have not been clear about how good the other aspects of your relationship are. I am taking from the fact she is not speaking to you about the issue that communication and non-sexual intimacy and affection are not features of your relationship either.

Its just not worth the hassle anymore (having a row about it and then the inevitable silence which goes on and on) but every now and then it really bugs me.

You say you have a decent job and a nice house. Why can you not afford to leave? Surely sacrificing for some material down-sizing is better that existing in a shell of a relationship?

Material downsizing = bedsit & a 2 bar heater and McDonalds with my kids for an hour on Staurday.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

Material downsizing = bedsit & a 2 bar heater and McDonalds with my kids for an hour on Staurday.:(

So what advice are you asking for here? You wont take the advice given here re separation.

So what advice are you asking for here? You wont take the advice given here re separation.

Is it a normal thing for women to go off sex or is it just me?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Like I said somewhere up there ^ this is your situation, with your wife, so its just you.

WE DONT KNOW why your wife, or any woman (or any man!), goes off sex, because there can be so many reasons. You havent even tried to broach the subject seriously, it sounds like youre both in entrenched positions and need counselling to tease out whats really wrong here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

There are plenty of posts about it here in PI... Would doubt it is normal but it does happen. I think its more down to the dynamic between the couple themselves rather than an epidemic of women who dont want to have sex anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - RI is an advice forum. We are not here to debate or discuss items.
    If you are happy to seek and receive advice on your issue we will leave the thread open, if however you are looking for feedback or a discussion on women losing their sex drive we will proceed and close this thread.

Thanks
    Taltos

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement