Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-02-2019, 17:08   #46
troyzer

Send a message via MSN to troyzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dial Hard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheres Me Jumper? View Post
but the extra persons (and these are only the ones he knows about) are NOT paying rent. they are living there rent-free, and are effectively squatters.
Presumably the couple on the lease aren't letting them live there for free. So they are paying rent, just not to the OP.
Congratulations and welcome to the subletting model.

You're absolutely right, they take the rent and don't give it directly to the landlord. Because it's a sublet.

The tenants and landlord have agreed a price and they're paying it.
Advertisement
06-02-2019, 17:11   #47
beauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoing90 View Post
... you can’t kick them out of the property for breach of the lease. ....
You can't break what you aren't on I guess...
06-02-2019, 17:13   #48
beauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyzer View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the subletting model.

You're absolutely right, they take the rent and don't give it directly to the landlord. Because it's a sublet.

The tenants and landlord have agreed a price and they're paying it.

So can the tenants charge any rent they like to those they are subletting too.
06-02-2019, 17:17   #49
eoing90

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauf View Post
So can the tenants charge any rent they like to those they are subletting too.
yes
06-02-2019, 17:18   #50
Wheres Me Jumper?
Banned

they have breached the LA so the LL is quite entitled to serve them notice.
make sure you give them the correct notice etc.

In a fixed term lease, a Notice of Termination can be served for the following 3 reasons:
  • There is a break clause in the lease agreement.
  • Both parties agree to terminating the tenancy.
  • The tenant breached his or her obligations and has been given reasonable time to rectify the breach, then 28 days notice is required.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/ending-a-...end-a-tenancy/
Advertisement
06-02-2019, 17:20   #51
beauf

Quote:
yes
They can breech the rpz then. Seems like a loophole.
06-02-2019, 17:21   #52
Browney7

Quote:
.... Also you can’t kick them out of the property for breach of the lease. you have to give them an opportunity to rectify the situation otherwise you will end up in the prtb and lose.
I was going to post the same. LL gives tenants notice and opportunity to remedy. Tenant says thy have remedied. LL inspects and no proof of extra people (they go out for the eve).LL leaves and extra person sleeps happily in their bed for the eve.

Would it not be next to near impossible to prove in an RTB situation the extra tenant is there full time without sitting outside the property for days on days getting evidence together?
06-02-2019, 17:27   #53
Wheres Me Jumper?
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browney7 View Post
I was going to post the same. LL gives tenants notice and opportunity to remedy. Tenant says thy have remedied. LL inspects and no proof of extra people (they go out for the eve).LL leaves and extra person sleeps happily in their bed for the eve.

Would it not be next to near impossible to prove in an RTB situation the extra tenant is there full time without sitting outside the property for days on days getting evidence together?
that's why as a LL it is always to cultivate a good relationship with one or two neighbours, who can keep an eye on who's coming & going.

from my experience most good neighbours are more than happy to help as they dont want the place turned into a kip-house, with all the attendant problems.

if the OP decides on the eviction route, as i advise, then he might well use this as an opportunity to increase the rent when he gets new tenants.
06-02-2019, 17:30   #54
Effects

Quote:
if the OP decides on the eviction route, as i advise, then he might well use this as an opportunity to increase the rent when he gets new tenants.
Which he can't do if it's in a RPZ.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-02-2019, 17:33   #55
Browney7

Quote:
that's why as a LL it is always to cultivate a good relationship with one or two neighbours, who can keep an eye on who's coming & going.

from my experience most good neighbours are more than happy to help as they dont want the place turned into a kip-house, with all the attendant problems.

I'm making the point it's not the slam dunk eviction grounds it is made out to be by posters here.

What if tenant claims they're really good mates and they visit very regularly but never stay over. Sure doesn't the RTB hate all landlords and bends over backwards to help all tenants? A neighbour saying "ah I see them there a load of the time" may not cut it.

It's not like the LL can call in whenever they like to inspect the place without breaching quiet enjoyment.
(2) thanks from:
06-02-2019, 17:36   #56
eoing90

Op they are now on a part four tenancy so more difficult to evict.
Your three options are as follows :
1- leave it as it is and inspect every six months.
2- tell them you know what’s going on and it needs to stop otherwise you will give them a termination notice. They are entitled to remedy the situation.
3- tell them a new lease has to be set up as there are new tenants.

What might sound like your in your right to just kick them out because of the minor distrust the prtb will take a different view and you will end up out of pocket. Believe me I’ve been to many hearings for both landlord and tenant and they favor heavily on the tenants side these days.
06-02-2019, 17:38   #57
rightmove

Quote:
I'm making the point it's not the slam dunk eviction grounds it is made out to be by posters here.

What if tenant claims they're really good mates and they visit very regularly but never stay over. Sure doesn't the RTB hate all landlords and bends over backwards to help all tenants? A neighbour saying "ah I see them there a load of the time" may not cut it.

It's not like the LL can call in whenever they like to inspect the place without breaching quiet enjoyment.
Thats why ll are leaving and tenants have less places to rent
06-02-2019, 17:41   #58
Wheres Me Jumper?
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effects View Post
Which he can't do if it's in a RPZ.
if i were the LL i would look upon this not as a problem, but as an opportunity.
It is important to remember that not all properties in Rent Pressure Zones are subject to the 4% restriction. Exempt properties include those that have undergone a 'substantial change in the nature of the accommodation'.
https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/rent-pressure-zones/
06-02-2019, 17:42   #59
troyzer

Send a message via MSN to troyzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauf View Post
Quote:
yes
They can breech the rpz then. Seems like a loophole.
No they can't. Because sub lets are licensees, not tenants.
(2) thanks from:
06-02-2019, 17:48   #60
Wheres Me Jumper?
Banned

Quote:

sorry to bust your bubble, but the RTB website clearly states it is grounds for termination. check it out. a LA is a contract.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/ending-a-...end-a-tenancy/
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion