Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-02-2019, 15:34   #31
Wheres Me Jumper?
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw Hammer View Post
The OP could well be throwing out a paying tenant end up getting in a non paying tenant.
if there are extra persons in the place, and they are still paying the same rent then as i see it, they are not paying their rent.

my advice is to get rid of them as soon as he can.
Advertisement
06-02-2019, 15:44   #32
Wheres Me Jumper?
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbit Ears View Post
a fine way to absolutely guarantee good tenants turning bad overnight. Like really, how exactly does anyone thing trying to evict them over this will play out? They go.. yes, we were bad and will take our punishment without any consequences? seriously like
but they're not good tenants are they?
06-02-2019, 15:53   #33
Claw Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheres Me Jumper? View Post
if there are extra persons in the place, and they are still paying the same rent then as i see it, they are not paying their rent.

my advice is to get rid of them as soon as he can.
The o/p set a rent and is getting it.
06-02-2019, 15:55   #34
Wabbit Ears

sorry, To me subletting to make sure rent is paid in full each and every month is not a particularly henious crime.

I've lived in houseshares and sublet for many many years and have often been in these tenants shoes. Im reading all these "turf them out"posts in absolute disbelief that ye are such shining exmples of why the irish population think private landlords are devils incarnate.
06-02-2019, 15:57   #35
ProjectMoose

Ah sure they're only breaking a few rules... be grand. Who's it hurting...

Good tenants who happen to be breaking the lease agreement they agreed with the OP.

I wouldn't condone throwing them out but they have to be informed they are breaking the lease. If damaged is caused by the subletting tenants, you can be damn sure the original tenants will be washing their hands of any costs involved in repair work.

Quote:
a fine way to absolutely guarantee good tenants turning bad overnight. Like really, how exactly does anyone thing trying to evict them over this will play out? They go.. yes, we were bad and will take our punishment without any consequences? seriously like
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
06-02-2019, 16:01   #36
Pkiernan

Quote:
Nonsense.
It's attitudes as naive as yours that have the rental system in such a shambles.

The it'll be grand attitude that has slumlords packing 40 people into unsuitable dwellings.

Contracts are there for a reason.
The tenants in this case have jeopardised their own accomodation and that of others and potentially the livelihood of their landlord.

Wisest course of action is to terminate the lease. The OP can offer a new lease, at more favourable terms.
06-02-2019, 16:03   #37
Wheres Me Jumper?
Banned

Quote:
but the extra persons (and these are only the ones he knows about) are NOT paying rent. they are living there rent-free, and are effectively squatters.
06-02-2019, 16:37   #38
beauf

Quote:
sorry, To me subletting to make sure rent is paid in full each and every month is not a particularly henious crime.

I've lived in houseshares and sublet for many many years and have often been in these tenants shoes. Im reading all these "turf them out"posts in absolute disbelief that ye are such shining exmples of why the irish population think private landlords are devils incarnate.
I'm confused you think LL and tenants should follow the rules, lease, or they shouldn't. Which is it.
06-02-2019, 16:43   #39
Gravelly

It seems many of the same posters who are always harping on about how terrible most tenants are, seem to be the ones advocating throwing out tenants who are paying the rent on time and keeping the property well, and going to the market in the hope of getting even better tenants.....

Perhaps good tenants aren't the rare creatures we are led to believe

I'd keep them rather than chance getting tenants who don't pay in time and don't keep the property well, just so I could make some point about them having broken the spirit of the lease.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-02-2019, 16:49   #40
beauf

Quote:
Actually the govt set the rent.
06-02-2019, 16:50   #41
Dial Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheres Me Jumper? View Post
but the extra persons (and these are only the ones he knows about) are NOT paying rent. they are living there rent-free, and are effectively squatters.
Presumably the couple on the lease aren't letting them live there for free. So they are paying rent, just not to the OP.
Thanks from:
06-02-2019, 17:00   #42
endainoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheres Me Jumper?
tell them they are in breach of their lease. tell them you intend to double the rent, if they wish to stay. give them a few days to decide.

Quote:
they signed a lease. if they break it then need to be served notice, unless you are not that bothered by the extra person(s). if you aren't bothered then leave them. (i wouldn't btw)

Quote:
tenants are like cars, once they start giving you trouble, then you're best rid of 'em.

Quote:
if the property is in Dublin, you will have no problem getting new tenants, who will play ball and comply with the terms of the lease. their loss.
Hey the 1840s called, they want their landlords back.
06-02-2019, 17:02   #43
eoing90

Op I don’t see a huge issue here. Regardless about the sublet the current tenants are still responsible for the property so any damage would be taken out of the deposit. Also you can’t kick them out of the property for breach of the lease. you have to give them an opportunity to rectify the situation otherwise you will end up in the prtb and lose.
06-02-2019, 17:07   #44
Wheres Me Jumper?
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoing90 View Post
Op I don’t see a huge issue here. Regardless about the sublet the current tenants are still responsible for the property so any damage would be taken out of the deposit. Also you can’t kick them out of the property for breach of the lease. you have to give them an opportunity to rectify the situation otherwise you will end up in the prtb and lose.
yes give them an opportunity to sort it out. if they don't serve them notice.
you will have no problem in getting new tenants, who will comply with their LA.
06-02-2019, 17:07   #45
beauf

It's curious if a landlord put extra tenants in a property it's bad. If a tenant does it, it's ok. If a landlord breaks the rules he's bad, if a tenant does it it's ok.

It's not the rent as most here seem agreed if the rent is paid it doesn't matter who by.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion