Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-02-2019, 22:25   #16
alwald

Another event to throw into the mix, apart from Brexit and trade wars, is May's European Parliament elections which could see 1/3 of the seats won by Eurosceptic parties.

Quote:
The rise of these parties could "undermine and cause irreparable damage to areas such as trade, security, and defence," it said.
Quote:
Far-right political parties for the first time could win enough seats that would allow them -- at least on paper -- to disrupt the EU’s legislative business. And while that would require a hodgepodge of parties to overcome fundamental policy differences, Italy’s anti-immigration Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini has already sought with mixed success to forge alliances with leaders including Poland’s Jaroslaw Kaczynski and Hungary’s Viktor Orban to usher in a “new European spring.”
https://www.euronews.com/2019/02/11/...lections-study

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ad-of-key-vote
Advertisement
12-02-2019, 05:01   #17
booksale

I was told by a police that there are a lot of people from Europe moving to Ireland from UK recently because of Brexit. I imagine the increased population would put pressure on Irish accommodation.

We bought a house and we were cash buyers. Basically we are broke now after buying the house in a rural where we could afford. But we are happy we have a our place we called it home. And we are ready for a career change and change of life style. We feel good without having worrying about paying rent. Although there are things to do in the house, we can do it in our pace whenever we can afford.

Husband was not sure as he believed price would drop as on top of Brexit, his brother in law in finance predicted there would be economy crisis and things were slowing down in China, USA, Middle East...

But my thinking was we need a home and we are not sure when the price would be dropping. We would be using our saving to pay the rent and might be the money we saved by delaying buying would not cover the rent we pay.
12-02-2019, 06:49   #18
Wanderer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by booksale
But my thinking was we need a home and we are not sure when the price would be dropping. We would be using our saving to pay the rent and might be the money we saved by delaying buying would not cover the rent we pay.

There's never a perfect time to buy a home, nobody can accurately predict a recession, it's a risk you take. Best of luck with the house
12-02-2019, 21:32   #19
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyCushion View Post
If house prices drop 20% in the space of 6 months (which is the reduction in the post you are replying to) then you'd probably have much bigger problems. Even in the 2008 crash I don't think house prices dropped that quick and in that crash the economy was nearly destroyed here.
From spring 2007 to July 2009, property prices dropped 40%, then another 20% from then until mid 2012

That waa an extraordinary time of course, I reckon there is a bit of pre brexit nerves right now but that unless brexit goes really pear shaped, we will see a big bounce in 2019

Last edited by Mad_maxx; 12-02-2019 at 21:36.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion