Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

jcoote & baggio

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

thanks niallo...the good thing about playing with baggio was that it was just purely experimental and there were no influences...like i've never listened to the cure and yet it still resembled their style...guess we just tried toplay what sounded good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Heyy Nialo,
    ....glad ya liked it...in hindsight I suppose was curish...but was never planned that way, was always a desert inspired thing...maybe someday johhny and I will get around to tidying it up and putting it out there :)

ciao' amigo...Baggio...see ya tommorow nightr?!
    pm me yer work phone number Nial will ya..need to ask ya something...

don't give him that number niall...god knows what'll hapen :p...yeah maybe someday baj we could get somethin happenin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

feylya wrote:
    I'd love to hear Baggio playing YYZ though.

Please don't completely mutilate me for this lads but I don't find YYZ that amazing a song drums wise (bass is funkin cream in your pants material mind you), although the ride pattern is quite tasty I must say...just waiting for baggio ta tear me a new one...

Also the tracks were tasty...dunno bout the half time feel in where the wild things are but apart from that nicea!

yeah the half time thing was really important in that one obselete cos it developed a groove for the song rather than just makin it a rock song with whale like guitar effects...that pace would be kinda the speed u would travel underwater know what i mean ??? we thought to much about these songs didn't we :p??

YYZ is a considered so good because it is so hard to recreate imo!! its not the greatest drum song in the world (i prefer 2112 meself)but its beyond a lot of drummers so it has been put on a podium as the pinacle of drumming (at least between this bunch of lads :))

• Advertisement

Ah i dig ya mate, yes yes you did think too much...or maybe I didn't listen to the song enough times :p

Also course it'd be hard to recreate, who do ya know (apart from the almighty baggio) who has that many toms n cymbals! :)

Obsolete,
    ...goood stuff...I take yer points for sure, I dunno why,,but was just able to carry YYZ of for a long time, mind yu if I play it now in front of yu guys I bet id make a horlicks of it :D ....but I have tried a lot of their other stuff, and many are much harder to play than it (La Villa Strangiato, Cygnus X1, The Necromancer, Jacobs Ladder, Test For Echo etc) . I'd say a lot of people hold YYZ up on here, simply coz 90% of bands dont have or even think of using drum solo moments and techinical stuff like that as a piece of music ie- a song. Most just go crazy in solos on their own and keep time in songs,not everyone...but the vast majority.
    I't's really quite refreshing to hear bands doing this type of stuff, and if yu know Rush habit, each instrumental and indeed instrumental solo part in their songs, is really a chance for them all to solo like real players while keeping the music part musical if ya like. They just like to do that - challeng themselves and their listeners...which makes it twice the fun.
    Theres actually loads of that kind of thing in their cataloge for anyone who's a muscician...YYZ really is like a big band piece if yu think about it, remember how those bands played their tunes, then everynow and then a trumpeter, or sax player, or drummer, or double bass player had his mini solo piece??....well for me thats the whole same mindset.

YA gotta luv it as a musican :)

ciao' amigo...Baggio.....

yeah thats a big shame about the lack of instrumentals in music..u only really ever hear kinda 50 second intors maybe as the 1st track on an album or something..

we did some more instrumentals and they were way more fun than the lyrical tracks...gives musicians a chance to express themselves a bit more cos lets face it an average non muso joe soaper goes to a gig and listens mainly to the singin...instrumentals rule that out even if only for 1 song

That's why I love Dream Theater, they take their time with songs, leaving massive "gaps" in vocals for expression of the instruments...and damn it's cream-your-pants stuff! One particular song (Metropolis pt. 1) has a drum solo, bass solo, keyboard solo then guitar solos (all one after the other)....sooooooooooooo tasty, can really see Pearts influence on Portnoy

i hear ya brother dream theater could keep musical expression alive even if nobody else is doin it...there was a quote on the gibson site for ages... 'vocals,wasted times between solos' :p

• Advertisement

OMG that's class! Plus what's great bout instrumentals is you have ta put a helluva lot more effort into it to make it sound tasty, and damn do I love a challenge! Taht's why I hate so called indie now, it's for the most part bland musically...ewwww

yeah its hard to make basic chordial ideas sound good in an instrumental u either have to go mental with effects or learn a bit of theory (for guitar anyway)...and standard drum beats do sweet FA...maybe u could get away with a rumblin rollin bass line but after that your either walking (on the fret boards that is)or slapping the **** out your bass...ah yeah its good stuff

ahhh just listened to these again
    ..laugghhs yeahh i know "self praise in no praise" ahh well is to know that our early moments havent been slagged offf tooo bad eh johnny!?

ciao amigos Baggio................

Hey Johnny
    on second thoughts put up ALLL of wtwta is a great tune even tho it has no vocals and aint finished ciao amigo

Bagggio...............

• Site Banned Posts: 334 ✭✭scuzzy

that is one piece of **** kit...

Scuzzy
    ...not sure what that means bud...:)

ciao'..Baggio....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

Liked the drumming on the pyramids song.. had a nice accented groove going..
    that kind of delay-filled-spookey-harmonicy sounds very like something my guitarist would write.. what kit are you playing there Baggio?

Sauron
    ....thanx for the kind words bud, yeah not a bad track after such a long lay off , we just recorded that on johnnys small pc mic and thats how it came out. Glad ya liked the drumming, there are a couple of moments when the timing did gooo a little!...oh well is better these days hehe..what kit?

Is my infamous "red machine" 8 piece sonor force 3001 in maple red with extra timbale and percussion bits and surrounded by a fleet of good Zildjians and 3 Wuhan china's aswell. Sounded quite good was pleased with that. :)

ciao' amigo....Baggio........

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'm looking forward to Scuzzy's reply to that :)

feyla, yeah me too , havent figured his first post out yet! :)

• Advertisement

I think he believes your kit is bad... Personally, I get scared by your drum kit :eek:

People should never fear big kits, they are but a more expressive tool than a small kit! Plus they look sweet...baggio ya basta*d!

the thing people seem to forget is that drmmers are musicians too...baggiois the most musical drummer ,due to his unnatural playing ability :rolleyes: and he has a lot of different sounds coming from the bigger kit...its like the extra freedom a 7 or 8 string guitar gives a guitarist

exactly mate, exactly!

u don't see it in his picks but baggio nhas a percussion stand also..it has 2 or cowbells and a moon block i think not too sure...he'll verify it...must do some more pics up baj!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

The drums on pyramids are bloody fantastic! Dumba-lumba-lumbada-DUM-balabada... Cool stuff guys.

check out http://artists.cpu.ie/bands/815/ for a few more tunes...forgive us if they are a bit repeatative or what not they were all WIPs :)

Ha, that's some good stuff. The riff in Speed at about 45 seconds sounds like Kiss Me Where It Smells Funny by The Bloodhound Gang ;)

never heard that song fey must get it and compare it ;)...thanx anyway man..i actually don't have any of the gear that i used on that song even down to the strap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Nice work! I think Radio Waves is my fav

Advertisement