Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are ADHD medications neurotoxic?

Options
  • 10-04-2021 11:14am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6

I'm talking about the narcotic meds/aphetamine-based ADHD medication. I've read that amphetamines and methamphetamine are neurotoxic and studies in the U.S. have shown those who have taken ADHD meds for 10+ years or more have damage to their dopamine receptors.

Is this why they aren't available in Ireland? I have a relative who has ADD and she could only get Concerta. But the doctor said that Adderral (dexamphetamine) wasn't available in Ireland due to it's addictive nature as well as potential for neurotoxicity.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭1cxb0tkuav6p4l

Varying view points on the matter.

It's actually thought low dose methamphetamine can actually be neuroPROTECTIVE.

Where as high doses used in sustained manner render unquestionable neurotoxic symptoms.

As to ADHD amphetamine users having compromised neural function, any papers to link verifying that?

I believe I read a paper at some point outlining that possible damage from low dose long term use basically resolves in time itself anyways.

But the conclusion is thus far elusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭1cxb0tkuav6p4l

However, methamphetamine recreational users who consume excessive doses?

OOOO-WEEEEEE!!

It is truly one of the evil drugs.

Neurotoxic, essentially wrings the bodies sympathetic response dry like a wash cloth.

PS - is this Mr Feg back again?

Advertisement