Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

893bet wrote: »
    I used have a nice visodate. Reasonable quality for the money. Almost bought a t touch a couple of times.

Wouldn’t be into it these days but they have a history to rival and exceed many other luxury watch brands. Don’t think anyone would look down on them.

Not in the general public, but in this forum they would.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭scwazrh

NIMAN wrote: »
    Not in the general public, but in this forum they would.;)

If you really want to be looked down on in a watch forum you have to buy a Tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

scwazrh wrote: »

Guilty, and couldn't care less :)

*Of buying a Tag, not looking down on people

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Also guilty but I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

My top 3 watches in my collection are a couple of tags and an auto chrono tissot....people must think I’m scum so🀦*♂️!! Haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

fat bloke wrote: »
    I can never tell if watches on adverts are bargains or not. In fact I'm always suspicious that if one of you guys hasn't immediately snapped it up then it probably isn't a bargain at all !! :)

What about this though?

https://www.adverts.ie/sports/tissot-seastar-1000-automatic/23636048?notification=0b5fb986a2eb22c2166a52d54707be96-1619548826&utm_campaign=AdWatchCommented&utm_medium=link&utm_source=email

I've asked about affordable auto chrono's before and even better the trinity of diver/auto/chrono.

Surely this is a bargain at 450?

Nice looking watch, but a small word of caution possibly.

Wife bought me a PRC200 Auto Chrono for a wedding present. Pretty sure it uses the same C01.211 movement, which is where the problems lie.

Most independent watchmakers won't touch it with a bargepole for service. Mine started gaining about 2 minutes a day after about 2 years of constant wear, so it had to be sent to SWATCH group in Southampton for repair.

Watch gone for the usual several months, and only for a mate charging me cost for the repairs, it would have almost been uneconomical to do so.

On top of that, both of us suspect that it was a movement swap rather than an actual service/ regulation.

Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭scwazrh

This is it wrote: »
    Guilty, and couldn't care less :)

*Of buying a Tag, not looking down on people

Same as that ,I’ve 3 Tags , a 2006 Indy 500 formula 1 , a 2018 formula 1 and a 2019 AquaRacer gmt. Think they are brilliant watches but watch forums love to slate them .
    Usual reasons for it are TAG ruining Heuer high quality , the lates 80s & 90s junk that Tag released and the fact the Tag merchandise sun glasses , wallets , hats etc .
    Omega seem to get away it though with their line of fashion accessories

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Well for Tag naysayers you just need to point to Audemar Piguet releasing that Marvel branded tourbillon... Memorigin did it better I think!

4894379600383-9_8de17103-1fb2-4d53-a6d6-7a1e1c89fc67.jpg

I have to say though - the Aquaracer chrono was a watch I never bonded with.

On Tissots - I think it may be something to do with Swatch positioning it as its entry level brand (apart from Swatch/Flik Flak watches) - similar to Mido etc. The Hamiltons are positioned *perhaps?* a step above - in along with Longines etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭redlead

Thirdfox wrote: »

On Tissots - I think it may be something to do with Swatch positioning it as its entry level brand (apart from Swatch/Flik Flak watches) - similar to Mido etc. The Hamiltons are positioned *perhaps?* a step above - in along with Longines etc.

Ah hamilton are below longines. I'd kind of look on their tiers as the below. I don't really know what they've done with Longines, they're a brand with so much heritage kind of kept down.

Tier 5: Swatch
    Tier 4: Tissot / Hamilton / Mido/ Certina
    Tier 3: Longines / Rado
    Tier 2: Omega / GO / Blancpain
    Tier 1: Breguet / Jaquet Droz

Tiers 3 and 4 have watches that can all drop in and out of similar price points but overall there is a gap there. The other tiers are more concrete.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

redlead wrote: »
    Ah hamilton are below longines. I'd kind of look on their tiers as the below. I don't really know what they've done with Longines, they're a brand with so much heritage kind of kept down.
    Clever marketing is the guts of it. Longines have a ginormous heritage and continuous with it. Unlike Jaquet Droz, Breguet, Blancpain that are makey uppy brands trading on long dead names. The problem for marketers was the majority of Longines hardcore heritage is pre 1960, so not so saleable to the current markets. If the reanimation of the Swiss mechanical watch industry had happened in the 1950's they would have put Longines above Omega. So they made Longines the old "heritage" brand. Note how most of their reissues are based on pre 60's models. They were selling heritage stuff like reissued 1930's Hour Angles in the 90's so it's been in play for a while. Omega had more heritage that leaked into the current and more easily marketed lines too with all the Master series. And as Hans Wilsdorf came up with the name Rolex because he reckoned it was easier to pronounce in more languages, Omega beats Longines on that score too(though nerds still wonder is it Ohmeeega or :D ).

And Omega had the Moonwatch. If all Omega had and produced was the Speedmaster it still would have made them the marketing better bet. Put it this way Blancpain is above both and their only innovation and well known period model was the Fifty Fathoms and the invention of the modern diving watch. I'd bet that BP was deliberately reinvented to compete directly with the Rolex Submariner in the mid tier gone mad luxury tool watch segment. And it might have, if their designs weren't so obviously designed and modish and not (very)slowly evolved over time like the Sub.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Usual reasons for it are TAG ruining Heuer high quality
    Which I can tell you having owned a few vintage Heuer over the years is a bit of a nonsense. They always had very cool designs, but as a watch company they were pretty lacklustre. The chronograph brand that bought in their movements. They seem to have kept no proper records to speak of and the TAG reissues of their vintage models are significantly higher in quality than the originals ever were. Yes they broke the cardinal rule for the watch nerds and snobs of being too popular and populist in the 90's. A decade whose design language hasn't aged well - until Hodinkee run out of vintage stock and run a 90's week and man bag urbanites will pronounce them "cool" again.
    the fact the Tag merchandise sun glasses , wallets , hats etc
    You've just reminded me I have a pair of Longines sunglasses somewhere. :eek:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Nice looking watch, but a small word of caution possibly.

Wife bought me a PRC200 Auto Chrono for a wedding present. Pretty sure it uses the same C01.211 movement, which is where the problems lie.

Most independent watchmakers won't touch it with a bargepole for service. Mine started gaining about 2 minutes a day after about 2 years of constant wear, so it had to be sent to SWATCH group in Southampton for repair.

Watch gone for the usual several months, and only for a mate charging me cost for the repairs, it would have almost been uneconomical to do so.

On top of that, both of us suspect that it was a movement swap rather than an actual service/ regulation.

Just my 2 cents.

Interesting you should post that....my Tissot is also the PRC200 chrono auto...lovely watch but as you refer to, the movement has always felt a little ropey....when you wind it doesn't feel great, hard to explain but its like if you wind it too quickly, the movement or whatever the winding is charging up might slip or something...i'm not a technical watch nerd so don't know how to explain it but just doesn't feel right.....aside from that, its a lovely watch on the wrist if a little chunky (which i don't mind) but just thought it was interesting about the movement problems you are having....

Wibbs wrote: »
    Unlike Jaquet Droz, Breguet, Blancpain that are makey uppy brands trading on long dead names. .

Fair point on Blancpain but a bit harsh on Breguet. Yes they moved production locations etc when taken over but they kept all the heritage and craftsmanship that the brand was known for and I don't think they were ever defunct at any stage? They aren't just flogging stuff using the brand name. I give them a pass.

I know next to nothing about Jaquet Droz but they do seem to offer a fairly unique product that also takes quite a lot man hours I'd imagine. Google says he was an 18th century watchmaker. Did they just launch a brand using his name?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Honestly can't say I'd knock anyone's choice of watch as long as they stick to the simple caveat of buying what they liked.
    I'd definitely give a like/dislike opinion, but I'd be hard pressed to shít on someone's choice otherwise.
    The advice with tag and others tho, no matter how much you like them don't buy new is fair IMO.

That said...
    Hublot are a fugazi :P

There a few Tags that I would probably buy at the drop of a hat.
    The PL timer (I know, I know) a Carrera twin time and a Monaco(despite me moving on my previous square watch a B&R).

banie01 wrote: »
    Honestly can't say I'd knock anyone's choice of watch as long as they stick to the simple caveat of buying what they liked.
    I'd definitely give a like/dislike opinion, but I'd be hard pressed to shít on someone's choice otherwise.
    The advice with tag and others tho, no matter how much you like them don't buy new is fair IMO.

That said...

Amen to all that. In Hublots defence, I do actually think the classic fusion is a nice watch. I wouldn't buy one ahead of other stuff but I do like it.

511-NX-7170-LR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

banie01 wrote: »

That said...

There a few Tags that I would probably buy at the drop of a hat.
    The PL timer (I know, I know) a Carrera twin time and a Monaco(despite me moving on my previous square watch a B&R).

I'd agree with that, no point in buying something that a load of anonymous idiots on a forum like but you're not entirely happy with yourself.

redlead wrote: »
    Fair point on Blancpain but a bit harsh on Breguet. Yes they moved production locations etc when taken over but they kept all the heritage and craftsmanship that the brand was known for and I don't think they were ever defunct at any stage? They aren't just flogging stuff using the brand name. I give them a pass.
    I suppose, though any link to Breguet the watchmaker is tenuous to say the least. Their history through the 20th century was blink and you'd miss it and they had always traded off the name. They got a couple of military contracts from the French, but by the late 60's the military had grown tired of their increasing prices for what were cased Valjoux movements that they cancelled their orders. Hence you find more "civilian" examples as they had to flog them off. The name holds value though as you'll read vintage types oohing and ahhing over the generic movement Breguet Type 20's as somehow more special(even though the Vixa/Hanhart examples have in house and better quality movements). I'd rate Breguet the watchmaker the giant among watchmakers, the brand that carries his name? Meh.
    I know next to nothing about Jaquet Droz but they do seem to offer a fairly unique product that also takes quite a lot man hours I'd imagine. Google says he was an 18th century watchmaker. Did they just launch a brand using his name?
    Pretty much, though in an interesting way back in the day. The Swiss industry had always been chock full of tiny watchmaking houses churning out parts, cases, etc usually for larger brands and a load of them got together in the 50's IIRC and decided to run a kind of co-op where they'd pool resources and sell as "one" reasonably priced brand and that brand was Jaquet Droz. They took his name as a producer of fantastic clockwork automata. The modern company has pretty much no connection to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Interesting points. Given that auto chrono's seem to usually start around the 1500 mark, guess there has to be a trade off at a third of that. Maybe quartz is the way to go for entry level chrono's given that even 100 quid gets you ultra reliability and accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Interesting points. Given that auto chrono's seem to usually start around the 1500 mark, guess there has to be a trade off at a third of that. Maybe quartz is the way to go for entry level chrono's given that even 100 quid gets you ultra reliability and accuracy.

They are even cheaper than that!

You can get a Steinhart with a dressed 7750 movement for under a grand.

lmgt-chrono_1kx1k_12.1545384074.jpg

And they are floating about second hand, for even less than that...

:)

Ah ok. Interesting!

So, educate and inform me further please :) - how does that Steinhart movement compare to the Tissot one? Given that the new prices and depreciated used prices are not too dissimilar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Ah ok. Interesting!

So, educate and inform me further please :) - how does that Steinhart movement compare to the Tissot one? Given that the new prices and depreciated used prices are not too dissimilar.

One of the experts will be along to provide a better answer than me, but I'm pretty sure that any of the differences are down to finishing and materials.

So, the Steinhart above says a 7750 Elaboré, and then the rest is the case and equipment materials and finish. There is a wee bit about it here.

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    One of the experts will be along to provide a better answer than me, but I'm pretty sure that any of the differences are down to finishing and materials.

So, the Steinhart above says a 7750 Elaboré, and then the rest is the case and equipment materials and finish. There is a wee bit about it here.

Ok cheers. Apparently there was a limited edition "Valjoux" version of the Tissot Seastar that has that movement, but it's more expensive. Logically therefore the normal tissot must have a cheaper / more basic chrono movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I'm partial to an "outdoors" type of watch :)

https://ie.sportsdirect.com/g-shock-watch-757093#colcode=75709390

I like G-Shocks, but I find some of the analogue ones like that aren't so legible.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I like G-Shocks, but I find some of the analogue ones like that aren't so legible.

Snap. That's exactly what went through my head when I saw it. Also the "light" isn't a patch on the electroluminesence. The EL on my old g-shock was almost as good as a torch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Some of them are pretty poor legibility wise alright that one is particularly busy.

The light on that one would be good though as it's a G Steel they have a brighter LED. I have a GST 300 that I do actually use as a torch to get to bed in the dark or find things at night!
    Have to say I really like my Solar/Multiband Casios. I actually wear them a lot more than I thought I would.

Here another one that's cheaper and much more legible.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-Analogue-Classic-Plastic-GST-W130BC-1A3ER/dp/B07FXTDTTC/ref=sr_1_18?adgrpid=61383352794&dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvr6EBhDOARIsAPpqUPESMTFPGooq16Hm_z6s6lUrYvPa0NenTIggWqV3sheEGvfQjVmAR6saAh0DEALw_wcB&hvadid=291335410980&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=20495&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=8523480282071251529&hvtargid=kwd-299468038029&hydadcr=26051_1783001&keywords=g+shock+g+steel&qid=1620069160&sr=8-18

GST-W130BC-1A3JF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This is a decent price for anyone who can get stuff delivered to a UK address.

A Seiko SRPE51 for £166 delivered

https://www.hillierjewellers.co.uk/mens-stainless-steel-automatic-sports-watch-srpe51k1-p14877

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭covey123

Just came across this, not quite sure this is a bargain but, but definitely not your run of the mill watch!

https://www.chrono24.com/certina/certina-saddam-hussein--id17673726.htm

Wondering if there is a Micheál Martin version ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

covey123 wrote: »
    Just came across this, not quite sure this is a bargain but, but definitely not your run of the mill watch!

https://www.chrono24.com/certina/certina-saddam-hussein--id17673726.htm

Wondering if there is a Micheál Martin version ?

I've got the Desert Shield Vostok that would go nicely with that. Looked it up and apparently Sadam held a presidential 'election' in 1995, the year this watch was produced. Doubt MM would ever hope for a 99% approval rating. :pac:

Advertisement