Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

29-01-2019, 12:17   #61
normanoffside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
A lot of people confuse left wing with Hilary Clinton style cultural NeoLiberalism.
They equate anything which opposes neo-liberal views as being right wing.

It's Ironic because Neo Liberalism started out as a right wing ecnomic theory embraced by Thatcher and Regan.
Advertisement
29-01-2019, 12:18   #62
Skylinehead
AROOOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Grand View Post
The AH charter:

This is literally the opposite of what AH has become.
I've tried. Got nowhere. I've pretty much given up at this point, don't know why I'm still modding the place. Travellers, transgender threads, social welfare, politics (I still get rid of those when I see them), six million threads on RTE personalities, I'd close the lot personally. Light-hearted my arse.
29-01-2019, 12:20   #63
Mark Rippetoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanoffside View Post
A lot of people confuse left wing with Hilary Clinton style cultural NeoLiberalism.
They equate anything which opposes neo-liberal views as being right wing.

It's Ironic because Neo Liberalism started out as a right wing ecnomic theory embraced by Thatcher and Regan.
Honestly, who gives a flying crap? This is the complete and utter drivel which should be punted off into space
29-01-2019, 12:26   #64
partyjungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulpit View Post
Hey all,

I know there have been a number of threads raised on the topic over the past few months, but I feel that something needs to be done about AH, it has been getting worse and worse with regards to the usual rubbish that is dealt out about travellers, feminists, social welfare, etc. The place is becoming an extremely nasty place to read, and the moderation is either slow, ineffectual or non-existent.

I understand that you can simply ignore the forum as a whole, but it can be hard to do so, due to the traffic it attracts the posts there are always popping up on home page.

I also understand that people will say that the mods are overwhelmed with the amount of posts that AH gets, but this thread - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2057949890 - has been active since yesterday with limited/no moderation that I can see. The same sorts of comments from the same sorts of posters are always appearing.

What the solution is - I don't know. I personally feel that either the site needs to go down the route of allowing anything to be said, and be the worse for it, or else clean up it's moderation. Properly ban people, zero tolerance, stuff like that.

I don't know what else to say, but I will say that AH makes me sad these days, and is pushing me away from using boards in general. I can't be alone in this opinion?

Oh but you can. I messaged an AH mod a while back to ban myself from AH. It doesn't pop up on the site at all for me anymore. I found the place elicited the same reaction as I got from twitter. I'd get wound up over stupid things. Life is too short for that kind of nonsense.

Last edited by partyjungle; 29-01-2019 at 12:31.
29-01-2019, 12:38   #65
TheValeyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyjungle View Post
Oh but you can. I messaged an AH mod a while back to ban myself from AH. It doesn't pop up on the site at all for me anymore. I found the place elicited the same reaction as I got from twitter. I'd get wound up over stupid things. Life is too short for that kind of nonsense.
Yeah, you need to get worked up over who is a wolf or just an innocent villager. Those are the important issues!!
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-01-2019, 12:45   #66
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arely Dazzling Sidecar View Post
Equating agreement with what Casey said about travellers - nobody else, just travellers (that they should be held to the same standards as everyone else, which is the opposite to discrimination) - to racism (against whom?) and being extreme right is just another unreasonable position in a tapestry of them on After Hours. From various political angles.
The issue isn't the label. You can put whatever label you like on it.

The issue is that boards.ie is significantly harder to the right than the general population.
Thanks from:
29-01-2019, 12:46   #67
Dial Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckka View Post
We're all over 18 if we want to express hate, not liking people places and things express it...
Not everyone on Boards is over 18 and I'm pretty sure it was never designed as or intended to be a place for people to "express hate".
29-01-2019, 12:58   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
The issue is that boards.ie is significantly harder to the right than the general population.
Boards posters also overwhelmingly supported the gay marriage and abortion referendums, to a far greater extent than the actual electorate.

With equal justification, it could be said that Boards is further to the left than the general population.
29-01-2019, 13:05   #69
Boom_Bap
Landfill

Quote:
The issue isn't the label. You can put whatever label you like on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Tinkling Fishhook View Post
Boards posters also overwhelmingly supported the gay marriage and abortion referendums, to a far greater extent than the actual electorate.

With equal justification, it could be said that Boards is further to the left than the general population.

Glad that we've solved that one.
Advertisement
29-01-2019, 13:09   #70
B0jangles

Quote:
It seems that the powers that be are happy for Boards to turn into gammon-central. Personally, I'm not sure it bodes well, given the ageing demographic. It's probably not a hugely attractive market for advertisers either.

This is something that occurred to me lately as well - given the obvious and apparently approved slide of AH from -'light-hearted fun' to an an almost unbroken cycle of threads about who or what is the greatest threat to western civilization (feminists, transpeople, immigrants or dole-recipients!), it's hard to see how this could be at all appealing to advertisers, who I presume are the financial backbone of the whole business.

It's kind of like if your local pub slowly got taken over by really loud people who just want to take about the muslim threat or the decline of masculinity, so all the people who aren't permanently in a rage about something, who just want a bit of a fun chat and some relaxed socializing start going to another pub, and then the pub becomes That Pub, the one that only the nutjobs go to. It's just bad business sense.
29-01-2019, 13:35   #71
Keyzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulpit View Post
Hey all....

........but I will say that AH makes me sad these days, and is pushing me away from using boards in general. I can't be alone in this opinion?
Tell you what, why not read the threads you want to read and don't read the ones you find "offensive".

Telling the rest of us what we can say or read on these forums??? Who do you think you are pal?
Thanks from:
29-01-2019, 13:50   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyzer View Post
Tell you what, why not read the threads you want to read and don't read the ones you find "offensive".

Telling the rest of us what we can say or read on these forums??? Who do you think you are pal?
Boards is not a free for all. Never has been. There's always been censorship.

It's been greatly relaxed over the last few years, but if a bit of censorship makes the hard right/left lads leave, then I'd be all for it. Most of the threads and their content breach the AH charter.

Even the Mod of AH is saying the place is out of control.

Last edited by Twenty Grand; 29-01-2019 at 14:05.
29-01-2019, 14:06   #73
Keyzer

Quote:
Even the Mod of AH is saying the place is out of control.
Define "out of control"...
Thanks from:
29-01-2019, 14:35   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyzer View Post
Define "out of control"...
From the man himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixonbot View Post
I've tried. Got nowhere. I've pretty much given up at this point, don't know why I'm still modding the place. Travellers, transgender threads, social welfare, politics (I still get rid of those when I see them), six million threads on RTE personalities, I'd close the lot personally. Light-hearted my arse.
29-01-2019, 14:56   #75
Keyzer

Quote:
From the man himself.
And whats the issue with people talking about those topics? Clearly there is an appetite for discussion.
(2) thanks from:
Thread Closed