Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Same moderator trawling post history and issuing false infractions.

Options
  • 03-05-2019 11:32am
    Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭

Pixelburp is the moderator, and he seems to be trawling my post history looking for 'warnings' to issue.

First I equated hatred of the #metoo movement to hatred of victims who report sexual violence. Some genius attributing bad writing in a movie to 'pandering to the #metoo movement' (I assure you, my eyes rolled back further). Disparaging the #metoo movement is in fact disparagment and minimization of victims who report sexual violence or harassment. So that was a nonsensical 'warning'.

I guess the moderator in question also has unhealthy opinions about this topic, because he is trawling any posts I make in the subs he moderates for posts to give warnings for. Just another came in, for what I believe is an even older post than the first, so he is clearly trawling, and issuing warnings. And then of course there's 'a history of warnings' if he or another moderator is trying to justify a ban, which is what he's trying to buid. Except this 'history' is complete bull. Especially when you consider he doesn't use the big bad bold moderator text warning first, and goes straight to issuing a formal warning.

Look, I get it, I've used the internet for 20+ years. Moderators are insecure and powerless people in real life, so they apply to be moderators on forums so they can strong-arm people. That's fine, it's not going to change. Nowhere is the concept of the wrong people being the ones that look for the power more true.

But boards won't even allow swearing, it's censored, but hate speech seems to be fine, which seems like hypocrisy to me. The people who spew hate speech know how to tip-toe around the TOS, and still get away with spewing racial hatred and sexism. I'm going to be keeping a close eye on who sponsors ads on this website, maybe it's time to talk to them, the site's host, and any hate group watchdogs operating in Ireland, and give them some examples (how long do you reckon it would take to collect a few dozen examples? Fifteen or so minutes?). Terrible moderation expecting regular people to tolerate the intolerant because they are 'follow the TOS' is not acceptable.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Do you want to appeal any of the moderator actions that you have received?

FYI: Boards moderators are selected. They do not apply for the position. In fact, asking how to be a mod was historically joked as ruling yourself out of contention. Search for amptest.

EDIT: just saw you have a thread open in DRP so I’m closing this until such time as that is resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement