Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Catastrophic condition of roads in Cork city (pic heavy thread)

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

A trench in the middle of the road... It's like this for months and nothing is being done. Thousands and thousands of cars drive into this on daily basis.

I had to turn down the g sensor sensitivity beacuse all the footage from the dash cam was going to "Emergency folder". It thinks I am in an accident.

Shocking stuff. Unbelievable.

Pothole still there... neverending story...

the reality is, Cork will never be a modern and prosperous city... you really do need perfect road surface for a place to look presentable and simply good looking. Everywhere you go it's potholes, cracks in the road.. how can somebody be so bad at managing a city like this?

iirc I don't think this is more than 3 years old... very bad mileage. shocking really.

place is constantly just wrecked and run down...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Those robot tree aren't cheap so hard to get cash for repairs as well!

https://twitter.com/frank_oconnor/status/1485287420476235780

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭cpoh1

For reference, here is Trafalgar square in London, one of the most prosperous and attractive cities in the world to live in:

This is just one example of thousands you could pick out right across all the major cities in the world let alone Cork. The reality is roads are not maintenance free items and require constant monitoring with an infinite amount of resources to manage and maintain. The best cities in the world struggle to keep up with the constant cycle of upkeep.

I drive many of the roads you are highlighting here and dont even register the imperfections you are highlighting. Maybe you have an uncomfortable car or worse an unhealthy obsession with the state of the roads here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

I’d have to agree. Cork is built on a bog, the name gives it away. Roads are going to be only so good. Expecting them to be like a floor is unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

😂😂😂

That surface isn't even that bad. There are some right good craters on some of the N roads in Cork, not nice if u hit them going 100k. Be glad of sh1tty road surfaces in the city. If the surfaces were good they'd be spending millions on new speed bumps !

I don't really think UK is a good example tbh. Maybe they are the reason the roads here are more less the same like there. If you look at the roads on the continent you'll see the difference. Money isn't everything, you can give the city council half a billion euro to fix all the main roads in the city and the quality of those roads will start to deterioate 2-3 years later. And there isn't much traffic here either when you compare it to the UK or the continent for example. You have few buses circling the city here, very few lorries. Go to a large city elsewhere, there's big trucks driving through towns etc. and the roads are in reasonable condition. Nevermind motorways. I can see tumbleweed rolling on Cork-Dublin motorway. I would say the upkeep here is poor due the "sure it's grand" approach. How is that trench on Victoria cross still there for months? Insane. Everything takes forever and it's fixed poorly.

It's just inconvenient and annoying to be vigilant all the time making sure I don't hit something (pretty sure I am not alone). You really have to be familiar with the roads in cork to know what to expect and where's what. You should be able to just drive and watch the traffic and not to focus on the road so much.

I disagree, the buildings seems to be standing for many decades no problem, so what's the story with those roads?

Maybe the layers are not thick enough, base should be thicker.. I don't know really. Would like to see how thick they are elsewhere in Europe to compare.. But the base layer here seems to be thin.

• Advertisement

Saw a guy behind me hitting this (Dennehy's cross). Brutal. They fixed it, few days later same problem.

That whole junction is bumpy... horrible really, and it's one of the busiest junction in the city 🤢🤮

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭cpoh1

How about examples from other major cities across Europe? You need to accept that roads are not maintenance free and degrade over time. We also don't have infinite resources to manage them. Personally I think the roads in cork are in generally in good upkeep compared with other Irish and European cities.

Paris (note a leg of the Eiffel Tower in the background):

Rome (Via Del Corso - main shopping street in Rome):

Central Barcelona:

Berlin City Centre:

This took me 2mins on google maps, im sure there are far worse examples. I really dont see merit in your arguments.

those are actually nice roads when you compare them to cork roads... I don't see any trenches really. But is it like that everywhere or few spots here and there? In cork everywhere you go the roads are sh1t. And it's not just roads, road signage etc. The place constantly looks tired. Tell me, where else in Europe you drove a car? Can you compare? Because I sure can.

Something like this would be fixed quite quickly elsewhere... Is money the issue, or what is the problem? Or is grand like this? Probably that is the case.

I really don't remember slaloming on the road so much in Cork like elsewhere... it really is that bad over here. Cracks in the road is one thing, but there are places where the roads is literally falling apart and nothing is being done about it...

this spot, it looks like this for many years now... absolutely nothing being done. At this stage you have to either slow down, or drive around if there's nothing coming towards you. You really don't have this anywhere else in western or central europe...

bollards bent, dirty.. no sense for order or tidiness. No dignity.

now they are adding cycle lanes... they are dirty with dirty bollards along them... and they want more of those..

and cyclists are not even using them. Comical really.

seconds later on the other side of the road...

also... they are most likely old roads too, they could be 10-20 years old (or even more), roads overe here looks like this after 2-3 years... so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FGR

It still stands to this day that Cork City and County have absolutely abysmal local and regional roads - When driving from Fermoy to Tallow I couldn't help but notice that as soon as I meet the 'Welcome to Co Waterford' sign the roads improve significantly. That's not to say that Waterford is still the pinnacle of good roads that it once was.

Whether it's lack of funding or poor management by the Co Co it's a shame that the road network outside of TII roads is in such a state.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

I find it even more annoying when you see what little money they are spending on "fixing" roads being squandered in the wrong places.

Somebody in Passage West must have some hold over Cork CoCo. A new roundabout outside Aldi and now speed bumps placed on the main road by Pembrooke. No need for either yet the road is falling apart not too far away.

Advertisement