Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I'm guessing they are having a quiet night!

OK. Had some time on my hands today. so i did a little research.

Forfeiture: Sec 177 Customs Consolidation Act 1876

Seizure: Sec 202 Customs Consolidation Act 1876

Garda Powers: Sec 203 Customs Consolidation Act 1876

anyone thats interested, look up the above acts, they will explain everything

Sec 177 CCA: prohibited goods are forfeited
    Sec 202 CCA: allows for the vehicle to be forfeited (that is transporting/carrying the prohibited item)
    Sec 203 CCA: Give the Cops the power to search for smuggled goods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Scambuster

Heard from a garda mate that they are setting the speeding thresholds below the actual speeding limit on some open roads now! Doing people for dangerous driving.

Scambuster wrote: »
    Heard from a garda mate that they are setting the speeding thresholds below the actual speeding limit on some open roads now! Doing people for dangerous driving.

bull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Good post.
    ironclaw wrote: »
    Accidents can happen due to speed.
    Importantly, a accident at speed is much more severe than one at a lower speed. A vehicle has 4 times (2^2) as much energy at 100km/h than it has at 50km/h. Severity is estimated to be 8 (2^3) to 16 (2^4) times more severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

johndoc wrote: »
    Couple of classics here http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2002/en/act/pub/0012/sec0021.html

Him:- Guilty, pay up
    Me:- but.....
    Him:- Zip it. Pay

:rolleyes:
    Not quite. The presumption is that the equipment is accurate. You can still challenge this, but you need to bring evidence that it wasn't accurate, e.g. you were clocked at 200km/h on a moped or maybe you were stopped by the garda and the device looked damaged.
    Unlikely. 1000m at tops. But its required to take a "double tap" to ensure an accurate speed measurement (At least on Laser systems which are FAR superior). They are unlikely to set up a place than requires a 1000m shot. Even so they will measure at a closer distance, then snap. You'd be unlikely, even from a photo perspective, to be snapped at over 200m.
    There is a German system that will detect at 5km - based on a tank's gunnery computer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

OP, could you recommend a suitable radar detector? I am thinking of getting one.

Hypothetically speaking of course...

Unfortunately not, as per the link below importing, having a detector in your car, or use of a detector is illegal and therefore recommending the purchase of same is against the Charter.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1991/en/si/0050.html

pa990 wrote: »
    OK. Had some time on my hands today. so i did a little research.

Forfeiture: Sec 177 Customs Consolidation Act 1876

Seizure: Sec 202 Customs Consolidation Act 1876

Garda Powers: Sec 203 Customs Consolidation Act 1876

anyone thats interested, look up the above acts, they will explain everything

Sec 177 CCA: prohibited goods are forfeited
    Sec 202 CCA: allows for the vehicle to be forfeited (that is transporting/carrying the prohibited item)
    Sec 203 CCA: Give the Cops the power to search for smuggled goods

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Victor wrote: »
    There is a German system that will detect at 5km - based on a tank's gunnery computer. :)

Don't tempt me! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

-Chris- wrote: »
    Unfortunately not, as per the link below importing, having a detector in your car, or use of a detector is illegal and therefore recommending the purchase of same is against the Charter.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1991/en/si/0050.html

Thanks!

I don't need to import it myself, as I know a friend who can supply them, and that link says nothing about it being illegal to own such a device. So why exactly were all the posts deleted?

Any what makes it against the charter??

• Advertisement

I don't need to import it myself, as I know a friend who can supply them, and that link says nothing about it being illegal to own such a device. So why exactly were all the posts deleted?

Any what makes it against the charter??

My reading is that it's legal to own a speed camera detector, but it's illegal to carry it in or on a mechanically propelled vehicle, whether activated or not.

Therefore, I feel it's ok to discuss these devices in the Gadgets forum, or maybe in the Cycling forum.
    The Motors forum is a forum that centres around Mechanically Propelled Vehicles and therefore the discussion of these devices in this forum would automatically imply that they're being used illegally.

I've already asked you to stop dragging this thread off topic. If you'd like to discuss this further, please PM me or escalate the issue via the DRP if you're convinced I'm wrong.

PLEASE STOP QUESTIONING MOD REQUESTS ON-THREAD AND DRAGGING THE THREAD OFF-TOPIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I don't need to import it myself, as I know a friend who can supply them, and that link says nothing about it being illegal to own such a device.

Ok. Its not illegal to own the device. However, how do you plan on using it legally? The bottom line is you can't. And you cannot import it either. I'm not a law expert, but regardless if you didn't import it, someone did. That person committed an offense. They smuggled an illegal item. As such you have no rightful claim to it. Its like counterfeit cigarettes, customs can confiscate them from you even if you personally didn't import them.

While to the letter of the law it does not say its illegal to own one, you lawfully cannot have got one. Somewhere along the chain of supply a law was broken. The unlawful property would thus be owned by the state.

Regardless, you'd want to have deep pockets to afford a) A good detector b) Any eventually fine (Which isn't set!) and mandatory court appearance.
    -Chris- wrote: »
    My reading is that it's legal to own a speed camera detector, but it's illegal to carry it in or on a mechanically propelled vehicle, whether activated or not.

Therefore, I feel it's ok to discuss these devices in the Gadgets forum, or maybe in the Cycling forum.
    The Motors forum is a forum that centres around Mechanically Propelled Vehicles and therefore the discussion of these devices in this forum would automatically imply that they're being used illegally.

I've already asked you to stop dragging this thread off topic. If you'd like to discuss this further, please PM me or escalate the issue via the DRP if you're convinced I'm wrong.

PLEASE STOP QUESTIONING MOD REQUESTS ON-THREAD AND DRAGGING THE THREAD OFF-TOPIC.

Thanks Chris.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Simpleton

What is the position in relation to the gosafe cameras at night? Do you have to be 'flashed' ? Do they operate infra red or other night vision technology?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Forgewire

Simpleton wrote: »
    What is the position in relation to the gosafe cameras at night? Do you have to be 'flashed' ? Do they operate infra red or other night vision technology?
    They use flash. Normally positioned toward the car but can be set in both ways. Proper forum for this:
    http://www.radardetector.net/forums/photo-enforcement/66885-identify-photo-radar-unit.html

This one is censored

Forgewire wrote: »
    They use flash. Normally positioned toward the car but can be set in both ways. Proper forum for this:
    http://www.radardetector.net/forums/photo-enforcement/66885-identify-photo-radar-unit.html

This one is censored

I remember a case against the Garda van. Was along the lines that Flash was distracting and blinding towards a driver. Infrared would actually be better for night time contrast.

I can't honestly answer but I know in day time, the Garda van has a flash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 paddyjoesoap

can anyone confirm if these gosafe speed vans flash during the day?

I passed one doing about 55 miles per hour in a 50 miles per hour (80km) zone leaving Tipp town at 9am while heading to the train station.

I didn't see any flash. Perhaps it did but I didn't see it.

can anyone confirm if these gosafe speed vans flash during the day?

I passed one doing about 55 miles per hour in a 50 miles per hour (80km) zone leaving Tipp town at 9am while heading to the train station.

I didn't see any flash. Perhaps it did but I didn't see it.

The problem is two fold:

1) Was it a Garda or GoSafe Van. Slightly different tech invovled

2) How accurate is your speedo. At 55 you may only have been doing a smudge over 50, so giving a small bit of leniency you might not have been speeding at all.

They don't have to flash however. Given weather conditions, lighting conditions etc it might not be necessary. Think about any normal camera, flash only comes on in certain conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 paddyjoesoap

The problem is two fold:

1) Was it a Garda or GoSafe Van. Slightly different tech invovled
    It was a GoSafe van. (not a white GoSafe van as I expected. I think it was purple or had purple doors on the back, with camera stickers on the side. Also camera was clear to be seen when I passed back window).
    2) How accurate is your speedo. At 55 you may only have been doing a smudge over 50, so giving a small bit of leniency you might not have been speeding at all.

Not sure of the accuracy of speed. It happened so quick, when I took my foot off the gas and looked down, I think I was at 55 miles per hour. But presumably by the time I see the van, the camera has already snapped the speed regardless of me breaking. I may have been doing 58 miles per hour but on slowing the needle was at 55 for example.

The car is a new to me a few days and don't know much about its accuracy. I should probably install a GPS and compare speeds.

Have you any idea of how it takes to get notification? I think in the UK they have to notify you within 14 days.

Hi Folks,

Few updates for people.

Do They Flash At Night?

No, not visibly. They use an Infrared Flash on the top of the van

Can You Detect Them?

Not legally. In addition, tests have shown you won't be able to detect them at a good range (400 to 200m) without spending serious cash. This is due to their extremely low powered K band radar.

Slow down, its cheaper :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Interesting video.

Pardon my ignorance, but in relation to the example above how exactly does the GoSafe technology distinguish which vehicle is speeding? In this case both vehicles are passing the camera more or less at the same time. The flash is triggered by the faster of the two (assuming the vehicle being overtaken is within the limit) but presumably both are 'in the frame'. Does the system select the speeding vehicle automatically, or is there some human judgment in the process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Bit off topic but can the go safe vans park on the hard shoulder of a motorway? Can it park in the Garda speed ramps on a motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

That clip shows it flashing visibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JMSE

Ironclaw thanks for all the info so far, one thing you mentioned a while back was about it not working in snow, wet etc...

Can you elaborate on the 'wet', does the gosafe radar not work in the rain?

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Interesting video.

Pardon my ignorance, but in relation to the example above how exactly does the GoSafe technology distinguish which vehicle is speeding? In this case both vehicles are passing the camera more or less at the same time. The flash is triggered by the faster of the two (assuming the vehicle being overtaken is within the limit) but presumably both are 'in the frame'. Does the system select the speeding vehicle automatically, or is there some human judgment in the process?

With regards to this video, the car with the in car camera triggered the van but the guy over taking would technically have been going faster. There is a guideline however if more than one car is in the same photo, the offense is disregarded. Simply because it could be either of the cars e.g. Reasonable doubt. This is extremely unlikely to happen so its not a hard and fast defense.

To answer your question, the van targets a particular car and snaps if over the limit. The human aspect would be like the above e.g. More than one car in frame etc.
    ABEasy wrote: »
    Bit off topic but can the go safe vans park on the hard shoulder of a motorway? Can it park in the Garda speed ramps on a motorway?

Good question. I'm probably wrong but its illegal to "park" on a motorway unless your conducting work or the Gardai. As such I would imagine motorway use is a no go as they would be committing an offense. I'm open to correct however.
    That clip shows it flashing visibly?

Its a IR flash. Video camera's pick up visible and invisible light, most noticeably in the UV and IR range (Just outside your eyes range) The driver of this clip saw no flash but it appears on the video. Hence IR flash. If they used a "real flash" it would be blinding and dangerous for drivers. The unit I would imagine doubles as a real flash as well. But as I've said on other threads, IR is actually better as you can get a better black-white (e.g. Number plate) contrast.
    JMSE wrote: »
    Ironclaw thanks for all the info so far, one thing you mentioned a while back was about it not working in snow, wet etc...

Can you elaborate on the 'wet', does the gosafe radar not work in the rain?

Laser can't be operated in extremely high humidity. You'd want it to be enough precipitation e.g. rain, snow or sleet so that your visibility would be affected. Put it this way, ground radar at airports is affected by precipitation so you can only imagine what it would do to a lesser radar. I wouldn't use it as a legal defense but it would call the accuracy into disrepute as the radar / laser would be bouncing off particles which would distort the return (Note: The units have a built in tolerance for this)

I've been wondering about their "tracking" ability.

They're supposed to work for hundreds of meters, but the camera won't focus or get a good picture at that distance.

What would happen if you were doing 20km over the limit and you spotted the camera 300m away. If you slowed to the limit quick smart, by the time you got to the "taking a photo" range you'd be doing the limit.

Does it measure your speed in the instant that it's taking the picture, or has it the ability to lock on to a distant speeding car and remember to take a photo of it even if it's reduced its speed in the meantime?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 GER82

hello all.
    I passed what appeared to be a speed van today.
    However, there was not writing or identification labels on it.
    I understood that all of the new mobile vans had the camera synbol and identification/luminous lining on the van.
    There was what appeared to be 2 lights in the rear end. I was doing 106 km/hr in 100km/hr, would I have been caught or is there a tolerance . cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

GER82 wrote: »
    hello all.
    I understood that all of the new mobile vans had the camera synbol and identification/luminous lining on the van.
    There was what appeared to be 2 lights in the rear end. I was doing 106 km/hr in 100km/hr, would I have been caught or is there a tolerance . cheers

Covered on lots of speed camera threads here....But in short garda vans & survey vans don't have to have any markings on them. And no there is very little tolerance allowed any more.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I was doing 106 km/hr in 100km/hr, would I have been caught or is there a tolerance.
    Whatever about a 'tolerance', the odds are that your indicated 106 was actually less than 100. My 2c is that you won't get the dreaded letter.

Not your ornery onager

hello all.

Hi Ger,

You've already asked this question in several threads.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73682861&postcount=2058
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73674067&postcount=12
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73660570&postcount=12
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73658434&postcount=57
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73668452&postcount=44

Could you keep the discussion to one thread please? The Speed Camera Mega Thread preferably.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73682861&postcount=2058

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hicser1

Hi,

I overtook a truck and hit 110kmh when I saw a Gatso van facing me at the other side of the road, I sped down below 100 by the time I was passing him.

Does anyone know if I would be ok, I read on some posts that the detectors & cameras are only at the back of the vans,

Thanks,
    Hicser

Advertisement