Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Popular Scenic Routes Dublin/Wicklow

• 24-01-2019 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Just throwing this out there..what are the most popular routes among boards members for a sunday spin. ( maybe post some google map routes).

im brand new to the motorbike scene. living in tallaght and im lucky to have the dublin mountains on my door step. ive been hitting blessington/poulaphouca and the likes but would be interested in some other scenic destinations further a field.

where do you guys go for a weekend spin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Head out for blessington..Hollywood..Wicklow gap..Laragh.......anywhere around that area is a good spin..

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Itineoman

Drove through there on four wheels for the first time recently and wished I’d had the bike. I’ll be back for a proper spin first opportunity. Nice as anywhere west of Europe. Lucky you Dublin folk!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

Don't bother on a Sunday.

Full of cyclists & weekend warrior Power Rangers doing their level best to kill themselves. :p:p

Philipx wrote: »
    Don't bother on a Sunday.

Full of cyclists & weekend warrior Power Rangers doing their level best to kill themselves. :p:p

I just look on them as targets and ...well ..targets....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

While it's not very scenic but it's my favourite sunday spin road, the n52.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Take the firhouse exit off the m50 and out towards scholarstown. Military road across to sally gap - laragh. Head towards rsthdrum but take the right off that road towards Glenmalure. Lovely

The Wicklow Gap on a Sunday is aids

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

spin to carlingford..or onto Newcastle co down..
    up Cavan way...
    or down around gorey...

batman_oh wrote: »
    Take the firhouse exit off the m50 and out towards scholarstown. Military road across to sally gap - laragh. Head towards rsthdrum but take the right off that road towards Glenmalure. Lovely

The Wicklow Gap on a Sunday is aids

Sunday is still a good day unless youre a tool and "no one else" deserves to be there....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Sunday is still a good day unless youre a tool and "no one else" deserves to be there....:rolleyes:

You are implying I’m a tool because my idea of a spin isn’t sitting behind an endless supply of bicycles, cars, tour buses and dealing with groups of bikes trying to overtake this and often coming head on towards me doing this. Well aren’t you amazing!
    If you like the social aspect of parking up and showing off to everybody or are out at 7am convincing yourself you have the secret to happiness then continue on. But keep your passive aggressive comments to yourself thanks

batman_oh wrote: »
    You are implying I’m a tool because my idea of a spin isn’t sitting behind an endless supply of bicycles, cars, tour buses and dealing with groups of bikes trying to overtake this and often coming head on towards me doing this. Well aren’t you amazing!
    If you like the social aspect of parking up and showing off to everybody or are out at 7am convincing yourself you have the secret to happiness then continue on. But keep your passive aggressive comments to yourself thanks

Ah did i upset you snowflake......theyre entitled to be on the roads..deal with it...might make you a more chilled out and nicer person...:)

BTW...nice quiet spin there this morning..and i didnt hold anyone up....:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Jaysus lads!.

I'm a cyclist too, and I've done a fair few sportives up in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains. When I'm cycling up there and see motorbikes I wish I was on my GS (or whatever bike I have at the time).

And when I'm on my motorbike and come across a sportive or cyclists I'm eyeing over the bikes and wishing I was up cycling mine :D

There's enough room on the road for us all, but I do agree with the power ranger comments. I met up with an old biker mate during the week and he joked that coming into the summer we'll start reading about the mysterious motorist up in 'the Gap out to kill bikers, my response was that there's enough bikers up there trying to kill themselves and other bikers.

They're the pricks I'm weiry of.

I love Laragh and always meet someone I've known for years, and I look at the old farts and wonder which one is Max Headroom lol (sometimes I actually do lol).

I try avoid Sunday spins around the mountains, but its not just there I avoid. Out my neck of the woods we've got Howth head and the roads leading up to it. We've the same carry on with the mad Sunday lads competing for space on the roads with the mad Sunday lycra lads (me sometimes).

OP a nice coastal spin is taking the Malahide Road into Malahide Village, spin down the coast road to Portmarnock (the views are lovely) and head towards Howth and head for the summit. If you have a bike which is capable of going off road for a bit ride to 'Ben of Howth' (its the real summit where you see the radio mast).

On a good clear day you can see Wales, the Mourne mountains and down south as far as Arklow.

You're also looking down over a busy shipping channel into Dublin port.

When you're up Howth I'd always recommend spinning down to The Bailey lighthouse, there's a sign saying its a private road, ignore it. Go down there, park up and take a very short walk (your bike will always be in sight) and you're looking at the cliffs with thousands of nesting birds, puffin's, seals, sometimes porpoise's on one side of the road and on the other you're looking down into Dolldrum Bay (an old smugglers landing spot).

Its a short enough spin with plenty of places to stop off for a coffee and a bite to eat.

You can do all that and still be home without being bolloxed inside two or three hours.

Jaysus lads!.

I'm a cyclist too, and I've done a fair few sportives up in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains. When I'm cycling up there and see motorbikes I wish I was on my GS (or whatever bike I have at the time).

And when I'm on my motorbike and come across a sportive or cyclists I'm eyeing over the bikes and wishing I was up cycling mine :D

There's enough room on the road for us all, but I do agree with the power ranger comments. I met up with an old biker mate during the week and he joked that coming into the summer we'll start reading about the mysterious motorist up in 'the Gap out to kill bikers, my response was that there's enough bikers up there trying to kill themselves and other bikers.

They're the pricks I'm weiry of.

I love Laragh and always meet someone I've known for years, and I look at the old farts and wonder which one is Max Headroom lol (sometimes I actually do lol).

I try avoid Sunday spins around the mountains, but its not just there I avoid. Out my neck of the woods we've got Howth head and the roads leading up to it. We've the same carry on with the mad Sunday lads competing for space on the roads with the mad Sunday lycra lads (me sometimes).

OP a nice coastal spin is taking the Malahide Road into Malahide Village, spin down the coast road to Portmarnock (the views are lovely) and head towards Howth and head for the summit. If you have a bike which is capable of going off road for a bit ride to 'Ben of Howth' (its the real summit where you see the radio mast).

On a good clear day you can see Wales, the Mourne mountains and down south as far as Arklow.

You're also looking down over a busy shipping channel into Dublin port.

When you're up Howth I'd always recommend spinning down to The Bailey lighthouse, there's a sign saying its a private road, ignore it. Go down there, park up and take a very short walk (your bike will always be in sight) and you're looking at the cliffs with thousands of nesting birds, puffin's, seals, sometimes porpoise's on one side of the road and on the other you're looking down into Dolldrum Bay (an old smugglers landing spot).

Its a short enough spin with plenty of places to stop off for a coffee and a bite to eat.

You can do all that and still be home without being bolloxed inside two or three hours.

Sounds to me that you just like to park up and show off yer new heated grips.......:p

Sounds to me that you just like to park up and show off yer new heated grips.......:p

I never stop talking about them :pac:

Tell you what else the boxer engine is great for, drying wet gloves :D

I never stop talking about them :pac:

Tell you what else the boxer engine is great for, drying wet gloves :D

AND keeping the cuppachino warm.....:P

Windy up the gap this morning.....make sure youre buttoned up..:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Windy up the gap this morning.....make sure youre buttoned up..

Brrrrr..feck that...

Windy up the gap this morning.....make sure youre buttoned up..:P

I was out running this morning. It looked lovely and sunny, but by fvck it was bitterly cold. I'd imagine the mountains were colder.

I was out running this morning. It looked lovely and sunny, but by fvck it was bitterly cold. I'd imagine the mountains were colder.

Lovely morning over here..couple of Dancing on ice moments...but dryed up nice on the way back....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

A run I have done numerous times, is as follows; M50 to the airport, R132 to the roundabout past the Coachmans Inn, take the back road behind the airport, ( great view of the planes), then take the R108 to Naul, and from there to Drogheda. It's a nice scenic run and not too much traffic. From Drogheda you can take the Estuary road, out by Termonfeckin, and on to Annagassan. Stop for lunch in the Glyde Inn, and return by whatever route suits. A nice day out on the bike, and the Drogheda museum (Millmount) is worth a visit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

If you are near Drogheda, N51 (to Navan, Athboy, Mullingar) or N52 (Dundal, Ardee, Kells, Mullingar) are also fairly nice roads to try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The N52 gets a few mentions, why is this, is it scenic or a decent surfaced twisty road? Also it begins in Dundalk and finishes 220km later in Nenagh, whats the best section of it if not doing it all?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The N52 gets a few mentions, why is this, is it scenic or a decent surfaced twisty road? Also it begins in Dundalk and finishes 220km later in Nenagh, whats the best section of it if not doing it all?

Very good surface with lots of nice twisties, n52 between mullingar and ardee is the best stretch.

N51 is also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

zubair wrote: »
    Very good surface with lots of nice twisties, n52 between mullingar and ardee is the best stretch.

N51 is also good.

Feck ya, now everyone knows! :p:p:p:p

Philipx wrote: »
    Feck ya, now everyone knows! :p:p:p:p

Just take junction 8 off the M50 to get there (sorted!)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The N81 was completely resurfaced all the way from Blessington to Baltinglass earlier this year and has now become very popular with bikers out for Sunday spins.Wicklow CC did a very good job on the surfacing and on a dry day it has tons of grip in the corners.

Word of warning though, the N81 is a dangerous road. Apart from multiple quarries north of Blessington dropping gravel and dragging mud on to the road a biker was killed at the bad bend at Poulaphuca just 2 weeks ago and theres been three other crashes along this stretch over the summer with the bend at Knickanroe (approx 1km south of Hollywood) being responsible for two of them. That bend is like a double dog leg and people who dont know it are going into it too fast and ending up in the ditch going southbound or on the wrong side of the road when going northbound. It is due to be upgraded and straightened out later this year with the works expected to last about 15 months.

For cheap eats The Perch Cafe on the main square in Baltinglass is a good spot. Another good cafe on the route is the old Post Office cafe in Hollywood. In Blessington itself the Moody Rooster is the pick of the bunch.

Surely this was always a popular route!?

Good info here. The best bit is the twisty section just outside Tullow, pity it's so short. I wouldn't consider the N81 a particularly dangerous route personally, but it goes without saying that riders should be cautious on any spin and be aware of black spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

Was on the N81 last Monday, there are a few places where they are doing roadworks, flagman, etc. Watch out for ramps, and rough sections, these would not be too bad in a car, but you could get caught out on a bike. Horans in Baltinglass a good spot for lunch, from there we took the R747, a good biking road, and went for a look around Ballitore, a Quaker village, and then back via Grange Con, lovely Autumn foliage. The N81 does have some treacherous bends, and I have seen motorcyclists coming to grief on those. its generally a question of going too fast. There are enough speed vans on it too.

Advertisement