Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fossil Sport Smartwatch: £62.30

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Nice one. Ordered a 41mm blue one.

dingbat wrote: »
    OP here. I am male. 41mm really is fine unless you're Andre the Giant.

yes. some watches look bigger on the wrist than others and usually smart-watches "look big for the size" imo

41mm is not a women's size by any means so I would go for that.

there is no benefit of a bigger battery or a bigger screen here (as can be the case with different smartwatch sizes normally) so imo there is no point in going for the bigger size.

edit

Except for the tapered strap which does probably look a bit girly.

greendom wrote: »
    I have an amazfit GTR and I'm delighted with it. It has GPS and connects your runs and cycles to Strava. It does sleep tracking.

It measures PAI which is motivating for keeping exercise going.

It shows notifications from social media apps

Has other features such as current temperature, has a compass, find your mobile feature and the battery life is comfortably over a week.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazfit-Smartwatch-Activity-Tracking-Aluminum-Alloy/dp/B07VHHR7ML

the honor magicwatch 2 (huawei made) has more capabilities like music storage, speaker on watch for phonecalls etc for the same price range (£10 in it I think). the bigger version 46mm has the better features

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HONOR-MagicWatch-Activity-Smartwatch-Bluetooth-Black/dp/B0822Q5Y95/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=magicwatch+2&qid=1588173459&s=electronics&sr=1-2

mrcheez wrote: »
    Do bluetooth headphones work fine with it?

Also I'm assuming you can play music with the stored files rather than having to have phone with you?

yes. but be aware that the user available storage is 1.6gb and that is for both apps and music.

so just don't be expecting to put much of a collection on it.

but plenty for some workout music etc.

Ryath wrote: »
    41mm is still a good size for a mens watch 43mm would be nearly oversized for some but that's the fashion for smart watches. There doesn't seem seem to any difference in spec battery and screen size is the same the 43mm just has a bigger bezzel. For comparison a Rolex Submariner is 40mm!

Some of the colours in the 41mm are more feminine. I'd wear the red and dark blue no problem. The 18mm vs 22mm strap is going to look a bit skinny on a guys wrist though as it tapers so much. Changing it for one that didn't taper would help a lot with the looks.

Barton straps are quite nice and not expensive
    Nato for £11 No good with heart sensor! They look great though!

Silicone for £20

511284.jpg

how come fabric / nato straps don't work with HR sensor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

glasso wrote: »
    how come fabric / nato straps don't work with HR sensor?

Fabric straps are fine, Nato's are one long strip of fabric that's threaded through the springbars and runs under the watch.

wear_3.jpg

ah ok.

makes sense now obviously.

ordered one of these quick release straps - will take ages to get here of course if An Post are even delivering the Chinese stuff at the moment

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000639895079.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7c0b4c4dc6vx2l

H181629fad06c448fa48618d6d049da487.jpg

they finally shipped this after more than a week and a half.

and won't be delivered until next week -> pretty poor.

(then wait for the redirection service).

What date did you order? Was a bit slow to ship but considering circumstances that's ok. Ordered 25th shipped on the 30th Delivered to PW this morning. Chance I'll have it Friday but more than likely it will be Mon or Tue next week.

• Advertisement

ordered April 25th also.

just shipped / dispatched last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Hmm mine shipped on 30th and arrived this morning at 10am too @ Parcel Wizard.

My Amazon order of screen protector and extra charger also arrived today :D

they finally shipped this after more than a week and a half.

and won't be delivered until next week -> pretty poor.

(then wait for the redirection service).

This Friday being a bank holiday in the UK probably isn't helping, either. I ended up buying one for the Mrs, and on the same delivery schedule as you.

Basil3 wrote: »
    This Friday being a bank holiday in the UK probably isn't helping, either. I ended up buying one for the Mrs, and on the same delivery schedule as you.

it was shipped from Germany by UPS

site is most likely not run by / through UK.

it was shipped from Germany by UPS

site is most likely not run by / through UK.

Yeah, I'm assuming it goes through at least one hub in the UK before reaching the North. That's usually the case with UPS.

Yeah, I'm assuming it goes through at least one hub in the UK before reaching the North. That's usually the case with UPS.

fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Damn none left in stock :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Damn none left in stock :(

Blue is left, coupons no longer work.

listermint wrote: »
    Blue is left, coupons no longer work.

Got the black one from Best Buy for $99 dollars and a friend in the US gave me a $30 coupon. Already shipped to him and will be posted to me once he gets it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Got the black one from Best Buy for $99 dollars and a friend in the US gave me a $30 coupon. Already shipped to him and will be posted to me once he gets it. :)

If you're going to that effort probably better off getting the Gen 5.

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    If you're going to that effort probably better off getting the Gen 5.

It's a bit pricey seeing as this is my first smart watch. But thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yeah, that's not really true. My gear S3 frontier does 3 days, and it's far from a new device.

I have bought a fossil watch for someone before, and when I noticed she wasn't wearing it, she said it's because she kept forgetting to charge it.

Anyway, it's a great deal for the price....if you go into it well aware of its limitations.

3 days isn’t great.... the fact you think it is sleaze volume about how bad these watches are.

ted1 wrote: »
    3 days isn’t great.... the fact you think it is sleaze volume about how bad these watches are.

It's all relative. I used to use a Garmin which would go a week, but the screen wasn't as nice etc. It's always a trade-off.

In reality, charging every night isn't a big deal because most people would do the same with their phones. If you forget to charge, you can still get through at least another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ted1 wrote: »

I suppose people accept the draw backs for wearing a tiny computer on their arm tbh.

Expectations.... Like what are your expectations? A week battery from a GPS, heart monitor, voice controlled ,bt capable music and podcast player with touchscreen but fits happily in a tiny package on your wrist..... It's not 2030 yet.

Watch delivered today with PW... it was the red one I ordered and it looks damn nice so gonna have a play with it later

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It's a bit pricey seeing as this is my first smart watch. But thanks anyway

Someone on Reddit got it for 130 USD, just sayin'.

Ryath wrote: »
    What date did you order? Was a bit slow to ship but considering circumstances that's ok. Ordered 25th shipped on the 30th Delivered to PW this morning. Chance I'll have it Friday but more than likely it will be Mon or Tue next week.

Well that was muct quicker than expected. Just landed charging and finishing set up on phone. First impressions are good. Won't be my main watch I'd say I have too many other watches I like wearing and need the the more robust ones working. It will be handy for though for running to listen to music when I don't want to carry my phone or for other times when I can't look at my phone!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Mines in Tamworth -Hope I get it before the weekend.
    My current one is a Amazfit Bip - 2 weeks on one charge but its not really a "smart" watch. More of a fitness tracker with notifications.
    I also use a full android Lemfo Lem4 pro.
    https://www.xiaomitoday.com/lempho-lem4-pro-review/

Great device but absolutely HUGE on your wrist.Battery life of 2-3 days - that's going on adverts when the Fossil arrives.

Watch delivered today with PW... it was the red one I ordered and it looks damn nice so gonna have a play with it later

This watch is quality... looks fantastic. Love the red strap and feels so light and the profile off the wrist is very low.

Can't wait to load some music onto this and head out for a cycle.

• Advertisement

This watch is quality... looks fantastic. Love the red strap and feels so light and the profile off the wrist is very low.

Can't wait to load some music onto this and head out for a cycle.

won't last very long on gps tracking and bluetooth music I would say!

better not be a long cycle.

let us know how long you will get on that - I'd say about 90 minutes is my guess.

Advertisement