Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Times Ireland/Sunday Times Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Free voucher monthly

https://rakuten.tv/ie

How does this work? im lost...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭meolwan

Glebee wrote: »

+1 on this as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

Hi folks just downloaded this on my Ipad but i how do i move it to landscape mode i have to turn the ipad long ways to read any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭corks finest

faolteam wrote: »
    Hi folks just downloaded this on my Ipad but i how do i move it to landscape mode i have to turn the ipad long ways to read any ideas?
    Ok landscape/ lock it

faolteam wrote: »
    Ok landscape/ lock it
    rotate off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Glebee wrote: »

From within the Times app, click on the menu and select Times+.
    This shows the offers available to you, including Rakuten, 2 for 1 cinema tickets and free Kindle books.
    For Rakuten, you can download their app and put in the code you get to download a rental movie once a month. Some Smart TVs (LG definitely do) have the Rakuten app on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭jamesieliz

From within the Times app, click on the menu and select Times+.
    This shows the offers available to you, including Rakuten, 2 for 1 cinema tickets and free Kindle books.
    For Rakuten, you can download their app and put in the code you get to download a rental movie once a month. Some Smart TVs (LG definitely do) have the Rakuten app on them.

I signed up to rakuten on lg tv and then used the times+ Voucher code but it just says that the code doesn’t exist , any idea why this happens ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Anyone recommend a decent, cheap tablet to buy for reading the e paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

jamesieliz wrote: »
    I signed up to rakuten on lg tv and then used the times+ Voucher code but it just says that the code doesn’t exist , any idea why this happens ?

Not sure. It worked for me. Maybe there is a limited number of vouchers every month

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Is it possible to use the tablet app on a phone?

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a decent, cheap tablet to buy for reading the e paper?
    I've a 4 yr old leonovo dies fine,bags around ,check adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

jamesieliz wrote: »

To use vouchers you need to log in to Rakuten website and redeem points, they go onto your account, and then you can order using voucher points, if you use tv app only you cannot use them.

So pick film - eg this week Crazy Rich Asians, select rent in HD 499 points, so if only subscription from this month not enough, pick say Spitfire which is 399 points and select rent, if you are on website you should see the option of using your points, rent film and you have 48 hours to watch on any device.

So rent and select from logging into website
    Watch on built in tv app or iPad app as long as all signed in with same account details.

On tv app on Panasonic TVs, go to library and the film you rented is there for 48 hours and can be watched more than once.

Not exactly Simples but once you realize you cannot use Points to rent from app and must log into Rakuten.ie it becomes easy, you can also use credit card to pay for films also.

If you skip a monthly view, your points carry over so if you redeem two months points but don’t watch, you have 800 on the account and so on, points can last up to four months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Can you get the e paper view on desktop (Windows)?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 roakleyIRL

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Is it possible to use the tablet app on a phone?

Hi - no - the tablet app only works on tablet - phone screens is not big enough for it to work in a way that would be nice to use - the smartphone app is different and designed for best use

dinneenp wrote: »
    Can you get the e paper view on desktop (Windows)?

Hi - no - the closest thing to a paper view is the tablet app which is similar to PDF-style ereader apps but much better - the website is used for reading on desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ablelocks

went in to the members section to check this months free ebook (meh, again) but discovered that they are now offering a free audio book as well (yay)

this months is The Bullet Journal Method by Ryder Carroll - go to the members section and follow instructions to download (via Kobo). A .pdf of the book is also available to download.

@roakley - can you ask the techies about the epaper app crashing a lot, mainly on the transition between sections, most often in the main paper edition.

also, is there a reason Sundays Culture edition doesn't include the TV listings section? I know there is an epg type TV listing, but the paper edition has critics reviews and recommendations for the week and crucially, includes programmes on Irish channels. (the saturday edition does have recommendations for the week ahead but only for the UK and satellite channels)

ablelocks wrote: »
    @roakley - can you ask the techies about the epaper app crashing a lot, mainly on the transition between sections, most often in the main paper edition.

also, is there a reason Sundays Culture edition doesn't include the TV listings section? I know there is an epg type TV listing, but the paper edition has critics reviews and recommendations for the week and crucially, includes programmes on Irish channels. (the saturday edition does have recommendations for the week ahead but only for the UK and satellite channels)

Am not aware of the crashing issue - mine doesn't crash but will mention it. The other issue is one for The Sunday Times. I edit the daily The Times, but I will say it to them as well and see if they can sort something.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

roakleyIRL wrote: »
    Am not aware of the crashing issue - mine doesn't crash but will mention it. The other issue is one for The Sunday Times. I edit the daily The Times, but I will say it to them as well and see if they can sort something.

Has there been a big increase in subscriptions since the offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Satisfied customer here also. No problem with crashes and I have the app on my kindle fire and phone.
    A crackin' deal.

• Advertisement

thanks

(my tech support suggested turning it off and on again so i'll try that)

Peregrine wrote: »
    Has there been a big increase in subscriptions since the offer?

We are pleased with response so far. It's a very good price and people are realising that. We are keeping it steady and hoping that when people click on stories now that peak their interest they will subscribe to read it.

thanks

(my tech support suggested turning it off and on again so i'll try that)

Also worth trying deleting the app and downloading it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Thanks OP.

What happens after the 12 week trial that's referred to in the small print?

V good question ref TV listings

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

V good question ref TV listings

I thought the t.v. listings were on the app, but only if you're online. Used to be anyway

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Thanks OP.

What happens after the 12 week trial that's referred to in the small print?

Not sure where the 12-week trial is coming from? The offer for subscribers in Ireland is a month free and €5 after that. And that is it.The 12-week trial mention might be a reference to previous offers. Will check it.

Birneybau wrote: »
    I thought the t.v. listings were on the app, but only if you're online. Used to be anyway

they are - but its only the listings of what's on (in a similar format to an epg that you'd see on your tv)

What's missing from the Sunday Times Culture supplement on the epaper are the reviews, previews and critics choices combined with listings for each day of the upcoming week. These are all available in the physical supplement that comes with the newspaper and as i said above, includes recommendations from Irish channels.

It's actually an excellent feature of the physical supplement in that it allows you to identify programmes of interest so that you can set recording in advance.

It should be included in the epaper supplement.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

A bug I've noticed is when you are viewing the paper in landscape mode on a tablet some of the stories don't fit on the screen correctly so you can't read the last line or two of each column. Any idea how to fix this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I'm not getting a free month, weekly payment already taken, signed up on 25th Jan only. Where's the small print?

Advertisement