Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo Core i3 8th generation laptop with 128GB SSD @449 euro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭tart29016

Does anyone else know if this is a good deal? I am looking for a laptop in this price range for general use.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

tart29016 wrote: »
    Does anyone else know if this is a good deal? I am looking for a laptop in this price range for general use.

Thanks

I'd probably spend the extra 100 euro and go for this one

https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/hp-250-g6-i5-7200u-2.5ghz-8gb-256gb-ssd-15.6-inch-full-hd-windows-10-laptop-2sy46es/version.asp?tref=hptile

Improved processor, double the RAM and double the SSD size

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

cmssjone wrote: »
    I'd probably spend the extra 100 euro and go for this one

https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/hp-250-g6-i5-7200u-2.5ghz-8gb-256gb-ssd-15.6-inch-full-hd-windows-10-laptop-2sy46es/version.asp

Improved processor, double the RAM and double the SSD size

I got rid of a HP ProBook 450 to buy a Lenovo 510. The HP had decent specs, but the screen was awful (not IPS) and the 250s feel very low quality. The Lenovo was far better in daily use.

I wouldn't buy a HP without trying it first.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Need a new laptop.
    General surfing but the main use will be Autocad. This anyuse?
    Currently using a 2010 inspiron 15!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

sugarman wrote: »
    The 8th gen i3 in the Lenovo actually performs better than that 7th gen i5. Its also bigger and heavier being a 15.6" v 14".

Its a decent price for an entry level from a bricks & mortar. Cant see it cheaper elsewhere.

Fair enough, I stand corrected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

kceire wrote: »
    Need a new laptop.

Would really want a laptop with a decent graphics card for that, would imagine you would need to spend about x2 what this one costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Need a new laptop.

Storage very small, screen a bit small and graphics card a bit weak for AutoCad.

phill106 wrote: »
    Would really want a laptop with a decent graphics card for that, would imagine you would need to spend about x2 what this one costs.
    kaizersoze wrote: »
    Storage very small, screen a bit small and graphics card a bit weak for AutoCad.

Any recommendations?

Current set up is starting to lag quite a bit.
    Its Intel Pentium. t4400 and running windows 10 upgrade.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

kceire wrote:
    Current set up is starting to lag quite a bit. Its Intel Pentium. t4400 and running windows 10 upgrade.

Both the OP's link and the i5 link above would be vastly superior to your current setup. They'd be fine for editing, would struggle with 4k video editing though. The SSD drives are night and day to old school disk drives

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Laura_A

Just curious - are affiliate links allowed on boards?

• Advertisement

Laura_A wrote:
    Just curious - are affiliate links allowed on boards?

Nope, the rules are listed in the stickies

tedpan wrote: »
    Nope, the rules are listed in the stickies

Thought so thanks! Not a bad deal OP but might be better to follow the rules! :)

Laura_A wrote:
    Thought so thanks! Not a bad deal OP but might be better to follow the rules!

Didn't see, is that an affiliate link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Laura_A wrote: »

Its not an affiliate link. I copied and pasted the link from my browser when I seen it while looking for a laptop myself. If its showing up as an affiliate it could be because I clicked on a google add link and copied that link to here unknowingly. I'm 100% not involved in any affiliate program...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,855 ✭✭✭Soarer

There seems to be a few tech nerds on this thread, so I hope if the OP doesn't mind, I'll follow kcire's lead and as about my yoke. ;)

I've an ASUS N56VM that's served me well over the years.
    Review here.

Basic Specs
    15.6 in 1,920x1,080 display,
    2.3GHz Intel Core i7-3610QM,
    6.00GB RAM,
    750GB disk
    Running Windows 10 Upgrade.

Anyways, she's starting to slow a bit, and I'm thinking about changing. Would anything in this thread be a decent upgrade?

Or would it be possible to buy an SSD to run the OS, and leave the current one in place for storage? Big job, etc.?

Soarer wrote:
    Anyways, she's starting to slow a bit, and I'm thinking about changing. Would anything in this thread be a decent upgrade?

Soarer wrote:
    Or would it be possible to buy an SSD to run the OS, and leave the current one in place for storage? Big job, etc.?

It's definitely an old i7 but upgrading to an SSD will make a huge difference. It wouldn't take too long to change the HDD over. The biggest issue is getting a copy of Windows to install onto the new SSD, do you have windows 7/8/10 on disk for reinstallation?

Cheers Ted/sugarman.

Definitely don't have a disc for 10. Seem to remember that being an OTA upgrade? Might have the original 7 disc somewhere, but God only knows.

I know it's impossible for you to know, but would it be possible to fit two HDDs into the chassis? A high capacity SSD is gonna cost a fair few quid, so I'm thinking maybe a ~120gb SSD for the OS in conjunction with the current 750gb HDD for storage?

I used to be well up to date with all this stuff, installing HDDs, setting the jumpers for master/slave, fiddling around with the BIOS, etc. But tis probably 10 years since, and I'm a novice all over again.

@sugarman: I'd still be confident of upgrading the RAM. How would I know what type I have, and/or if the motherboard could take a newer/better type?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Replace the HDD with an SSD, it's the only upgrade you need. A 1TB SSD will set you back under 160 euro if you come across one of the frequently popping up offers for those. About half the price for a 500GB one. Get one bundled with SATA to USB cable or buy it separately to clone your drive, there are at least least several free programs that will make that a breeze. Once cloned and installed, make sure to reset the OS for a fresh start. Don't bother expanding RAM to 8GB, not worth your time and money, while RAM prices are still extortionate.

Why bother cloning and then doing a clean install? Just do a clean install outright. Cloning can sometimes be more hassle than it's worth some. 1TB SSD is overkill for an old machine. 250GB for 40quid will do the job then buy a caddy for the disc drive or external caddy for the current 750GB.

Upgrading the RAM to 8GB is definitely worth it, DDR3 is dirt cheap, DDR4 is expensive. You can buy a used 4GB stick in cex for a tenner.

He has a 750GB now and maybe it's full? External drive is not a solution for all occasions. Cloning sorts out copying data files too (And he will need the cable anyway, unless he buys an enclosure) and in no time you get to test the system, drivers etc. Once you get it all tested, you just refresh (though best to have the drive partitioned first to keep files) No need to look for tools to extract the serial in case the sticker is gone. Some might prefer a different migration path, sure.

Upgrading from 6GB to 8GB brings very little benefit. The former is fine for daily use, the latter won't help with file and video editing or any other RAM hungry activity. Plus he will have to get the right part, memtest for stability etc. And DDR3 on the crucial website is not cheap - it was actually the price of their DDR3 RAM that made me build a new PC recently instead of upgrading an old one that required their memory for compatibility. That particular part used to cost under 30eur some 2-3 years ago, now it's under 90eur for 2x4GB. I wouldn't bother for only two gigs extra.

• Advertisement

Im probably spoiled in work,
    this is what we give our cad guys

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/thinkpad/p-series/ThinkPad-P51/p/22TP2WPWP51

phill106 wrote:
    Im probably spoiled in work, this is what we give our cad guys

They give them to sales reps in my job! Was using Lenovo workstations for years, moved to a MacBook Pro last year, really wish I didn't.

They give them to sales reps in my job! Was using Lenovo workstations for years, moved to a MacBook Pro last year, really wish I didn't.

on an old W530 now, use a W541 as daily :)

Autocad doesnt require much graphical power at all, onboard graphics are more than enough! Its CPU & Memory power thats most important. More cores/threads the better and more RAM the better. An SSD is also a must.

Id look to an 8th gen i5, 8250U or better. At least 8GB RAM and a 250GB SSD.

How would this one fair out?

https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/lenovo-v330-intel-core-i5-8250u-8gb-256gb-ssd-15.6-inch-windows-10-laptop-81ax00cbuk/version.asp

Thanks.

kceire wrote:
    How would this one fair out?

Nice machine, relatively new i5 processor. Decent all rounder.

Nice machine, relatively new i5 processor. Decent all rounder.

Thanks.

Worthwhile paying a bit extra for this one?

https://www.adverts.ie/16047843

This is the top of my
    Budget but if I can spend less that’s better :)

Can be got for about €650ish

Thanks.

Worthwhile paying a bit extra for this one?

https://www.adverts.ie/16047843

This is the top of my
    Budget but if I can spend less that’s better :)

Can be got for about €650ish
    No doubt it's worth the extra over that Lenovo, alone for the very good screen panel (vs a very poor one) and the NVM SSD, which is several times faster than a SATA SSD, but I'd be careful there as the HP is offered at what seems to be way below the market price, even considered it's an older model.

No doubt it's worth the extra over that Lenovo, alone for the very good screen panel (vs a very poor one) and the NVM SSD, which is several times faster than a SATA SSD, but I'd be careful there as the HP is offered at what seems to be way below the market price, even considered it's an older model.

If it seems too good to be true and all that!

kceire wrote:
    If it seems too good to be true and all that!

The processor is not much better than the i5 though. Also I wouldn't spend money like that on a 2nd hand machine, replacing a failed dedicated graphics card is expensive and sometimes not worth it. Much better buying new, with a warranty.

• Advertisement

He has a 750GB now and maybe it's full? External drive is not a solution for all occasions. Cloning sorts out copying data files too (And he will need the cable anyway, unless he buys an enclosure) and in no time you get to test the system, drivers etc. Once you get it all tested, you just refresh (though best to have the drive partitioned first to keep files) No need to look for tools to extract the serial in case the sticker is gone. Some might prefer a different migration path, sure.

Upgrading from 6GB to 8GB brings very little benefit. The former is fine for daily use, the latter won't help with file and video editing or any other RAM hungry activity. Plus he will have to get the right part, memtest for stability etc. And DDR3 on the crucial website is not cheap - it was actually the price of their DDR3 RAM that made me build a new PC recently instead of upgrading an old one that required their memory for compatibility. That particular part used to cost under 30eur some 2-3 years ago, now it's under 90eur for 2x4GB. I wouldn't bother for only two gigs extra.

Decided to go for the Crucial MX500 500gb version from Amazon for £80.

Should be plenty on the for an OS partition, with the remainder for any HDR rips, etc.

Cheers for all the help lads.

Advertisement