Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HMV Grafton Street Reopening (Live music/Competitions/Discounts)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

why would someone buy the best of keane ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

IMO I don't no how they will survive.
    Who is going to buy a film/CD when you can buy them on iTunes without the risk of a scratched disk or even download for free. You can even stream your films. The market for hard copies of such items will be wiped out soon enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

IMO I don't no how they will survive.
    Who is going to buy a film/CD when you can buy them on iTunes without the risk of a scratched disk or even download for free. You can even stream your films. The market for hard copies of such items will be wiped out soon enough.

Even services like Google play have made iTunes obsolete as its so easy to add your "freely obtained" music onto googles free service to be streamed from anything with an internet connection.

But this post will no doubt be replied to with some rabble about liking to have the physical disc and booklet. Or something like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Digitalism wrote: »
    Even services like Google play have made iTunes obsolete as its so easy to add your "freely obtained" music onto googles free service to be streamed from anything with an internet connection.

But this post will no doubt be replied to with some rabble about liking to have the physical disc and booklet. Or something like that

Your right, many people would prefair the hard copy but I would say that's the older generation. 30+
    I'm 18 and my man loves her DVD,Cd collection. She use to buy us loads at Christmas but I can't remember the last time I bought a hard copy of anything.
    You can buy your games, I have Netflix itube ect. It's a dying market IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Speaking to a staff member on the way home from work.

There'll be 10 PS4s and XBox Ones at €100 off. I'm not sure if that's 10 or each or 5 of both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Now sure how you did your math, but your HMV total is €72.95 and your Amazon total is €72.02, so Amazon is cheaper, excluding P&P.

The same stuff on Itunes is only €60 and even less on Google Play (although it doesn't have Now86, but why anyone would buy that shíte is beyond me).

I excluded Now 86 on both counts because i bought it on Amazon and everything else in HMV. Suppose i shouldn't have.

I like having the hard copy CD incase my computer dies. And Now 86 wasn't for me but i bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭thegift06

no joke there is actually one person already queing to win the ps4, I walked past it there an hour ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

thegift06 wrote: »
    no joke there is actually one person already queing to win the ps4, I walked past it there an hour ago

if i was in Dublin i'd have been there Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

That bird camping outside HMV is 15 judging by her twitter. Not very safe to be staying in town all night, by herself I presume

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

colly_06 wrote: »
    That bird camping outside HMV is 15 judging by her twitter. Not very safe to be staying in town all night, by herself I presume

How do you know what her twitter is? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Tinie wrote: »
    How do you know what her twitter is? :confused:

I saw it on Hmv's twitter feed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

flynner13 wrote: »
    HMV are Xtra-Vision, who also ripped off Xbox One gamers at launch by making them purchase a game with their Xbox which they had already bought and paid for.

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/row-erupts-between-xtravision-and-customers-over-xbox-one-sales-29782872.html

They refused to apologise and would only offer refunds if you had not opened the game that they forced you to buy.

The company as a whole has not learned any lessons, HMV closed down and Xtravision have closed multiple outlets, please don't support this bullsh1t or companies will never learn.

I agree with you totally. Sure Hilco own both now. So I have no interest in supporting Xtra vision. Smyths an Irish company for my games.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭crayon80

I would say that's the older generation. 30+

Oh sweet Jesus....... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Your right, many people would prefair the hard copy but I would say that's the older generation. 30+
    I'm 18 and my man loves her DVD,Cd collection. She use to buy us loads at Christmas but I can't remember the last time I bought a hard copy of anything.
    You can buy your games, I have Netflix itube ect. It's a dying market IMO

It's been a dying market longer than you've been around....

Used to be a CD hoarder until I found out about Google music. Seriously have no use for physical CD's anymore. The format is dead as is the mass market for physical media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Lamposts wrote: »
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. You still buy CD's... LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Yep I'm oldskool. I'd rather pay for artists to keep producing good music
    Than steal it like you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Lamposts

Yep I'm oldskool. I'd rather pay for artists to keep producing good music
    Than steal it like you ;)

OBJECTION. SPECULATING! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 noname123

Rael wrote: »
    Speaking to a staff member on the way home from work.

There'll be 10 PS4s and XBox Ones at €100 off. I'm not sure if that's 10 or each or 5 of both.

Did they mention how many Blue-Ray players they would have? Thinking of going into tomorrow to pick one up :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Thats just not true. And im so emphatic about it heres a price check for ya on the last few items i bought in HMV.

HMV

Best of Keane €10.99
    Villagers €10.99
    Girl €12.99
    Now 86 €19.99
    Fleetwood Mac €8.00
    We need Medicine €9.99

Amazon

Best of Keane €12.15
    Villagers €13.34
    Girl €12.15
    Now 86 €14.94 (Bought on Amazon)
    Fleetwood Mac €9.72
    We need Medicine €9.72

So my HMV total is €52.87 and my Amazon total is €57.08 (Excluding Shipping which was mandatory on some items
    as they didn't qualify for free delivery. A few years ago they would have been worlds apart but not anymore!

Photo so you know i'm not bull****ting

303753.JPG

I also priced a PS3 game in one of the new Xtravision/HMW stores, which traditionally used to be very expensive
    as Xtravision only. The game was €4 cheaper in the store than it was on Amazon.

I know that golden discs and Tower exist however i prefer using a HMV store as just browsing around they have
    a huge selection and your likely to hit on something you like. There is no other store in Dublin you can do that
    with the same impact. I've walked into Tower on one or two occasions way back looking for 24 boxsets and they
    were a ridiculous €64.99 when they were €29.99 in HMV.

Christ that's what a CD looks like - I'd forgotten.

Can't believe people still buy CDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

To those of you dissing physical copies, try listening to a cd on a good system; then listen to the same album in mp3 format via iPod or computer on the same system. There is a significant difference. Like I posted previously I haven't invested heavily in my system to negate it's performance completely by passing mp3 files through it!

Sure, if you're only going to listen to music on your phone/iPod via headphones then you're prob ok with downloads, but there is another audio level out there, and you don't have to be an audiophile or a snob to appreciate that.......it prob helps though! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

If there are only 10 PS4s no point going

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

I also still prefer buy getting albums on CD or listening to my old vinyl albums. That said, I prefer to watch films on Netflix or streamed through my android box. Maybe it is because albums have been an obsession for me over many years and I have bought many vinyl albums in second hand shops and received many CD's as presents that i never made the switch.

I do listen to a lot of radio programmes and record quite a few and get to hear newer music that way.

That said, i would agree with those suggesting that HMV will have a lot of difficulty surviving, hopefully they have negotiated v favorable rents and can manage to be flexible enough in their product offerings to keep the business viable.

To those of you dissing physical copies, try listening to a cd on a good system; then listen to the same album in mp3 format via iPod or computer on the same system. There is a significant difference. Like I posted previously I haven't invested heavily in my system to negate it's performance completely by passing mp3 files through it!

Sure, if you're only going to listen to music on your phone/iPod via headphones then you're prob ok with downloads, but there is another audio level out there, and you don't have to be an audiophile or a snob to appreciate that.......it prob helps though! ;)

That argument is invalid. I can download music off various different music suppliers online in flac format which is the highest quality available and listen to that on iTunes, winamp etc. I'm an audiophile, but think CDs are obsolete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Does anyone know if anyone is queuing outside of the store now?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Tinie wrote: »
    That argument is invalid. I can download music off various different music suppliers online in flac format which is the highest quality available and listen to that on iTunes, winamp etc. I'm an audiophile, but think CDs are obsolete.

Way to miss the point. If you're listening on iTunes you're already behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

hfallada wrote: »
    Does anyone know if anyone is queuing outside of the store now?

Until about 4 am then I will call in the bomb scare and jump that mutha ****ing queue and get me a PS4, all seriousness I heard from the staff in Henry Street around 6pm tonight tht people had been queuing all-day today, crazy bastards if you ask me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

sad bastards if you ask me.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Until about 4 am then I will call in the bomb scare and jump that mutha ****ing queue and get me a PS4, all seriousness I heard from the staff in Henry Street around 6pm tonight tht people had been queuing all-day today, crazy bastards if you ask me.

Not really. If you get a cheap PS4, you can double your money in 24 hours by just sitting on your arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

FYP

queuing for a ps4 isnt sad. it's worth €400. one night outside in the cold is worth that me thinks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

queuing for a ps4 isnt sad. it's worth €400. one night outside in the cold is worth that me thinks
    It's really not.

Advertisement