Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lenovo B560

Options
  • 11-03-2011 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Lenovo B560 for €599

Been looking for a new laptop for the last week and have looked at all the new processors including the thread in laptop section. This is the cheapest i5 laptop and is i5-480M which is a mid range i5 processor.

I've been to PC world ect and cant find anything close to this price. I also will buy the 3 year protection for €125 (reason i didnt buy on amazon no Irish warrenty)

Have never dealt with Lenovo before and haven't heard too much about them. I'm waiting to hear back from one of their partners in Ireland as to who i will deal with regards warrenty but if all that works out then think this is my new laptop.

Any thoughts on the spec or Lenovo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

intel graphic so you wont be able to do gaming. The battery life is also very short, but that is to be expected. Good processor though, I'm not an expert but it looks good for the price, probably wait for more opinions...

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

lenovo is a chinese make so for me that is enought to not buy it.i heard very bad opinions about customer service and reliability isnt great to.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

faral wrote: »
    lenovo is a chinese make so for me that is enought to not buy it.i heard very bad opinions about customer service and reliability isnt great to.

Thinkpads alone dispels both misconceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Lenovo bought IBM's laptop division. I don't think the quality has suffered.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Any Lenovo I've seen has been built like a tank. Its an IBM basically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Spec
    Processor
    Intel® Core™ i5-480M Processor (3M Cache, 2.66 GHz)

Operating system
    Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Graphics
    Intel® GMA X4500HD Graphics

Total memory
    3 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz

Display type
    15.6" HD LED Glare Backlight TFT 1366x768

Pointing device
    Industry Standard Touchpad

Hard drive
    500GB 5400

Optical device
    DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)

Battery
    6 Cell Lithium-Ion

Network Card
    BCM 4313 BGN Wireless

Warranty
    One year parts and labour (system battery: one year)

Finger Print Reader
    None

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

They kitted out Dundalk IT Computing School with lenovo PCs so they can't be that bad??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭johnwd

Good spot op and good value for a top branded laptop.

Lenovo (formerly IBM) Thinkpad laptops are considered by many to be the Rolls Royce of laptops - and usually have a pricetag to match. They are very, very good - I have a six year old T42 that's still going very well. They are one of the top choices for corporate buyers.

I wouldn't be too confident about non thinkpad lenovos being as good as thinkpad ones (why pay up to €2k for a thinkpad otherwise!) but I would imagine that build quality is up there with similarly priced machines - and as the OPs one is on offer it would seem to be very good value.

There are some offers on the lenovo site - even in thinkpads, worth checking out here. At a glance the one on the right hand side of this page appeals most to me.

Wish my old T42 would give up the ghost now and give me an excuse to buy!

Edit: Just saw that apparently discount code EDGEMARCH2011 gives and extra 5% off at checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Yeah, thank god no other laptops, or laptop components, are made in China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Yeah, thank god no other laptops, or laptop components, are made in China.

LOL.

• Advertisement
Advertisement