Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Red Billy Bookcase Ikea €9

• 09-03-2011 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

Was in Ikea today and they are selling the Billy Bookcase for €9 ... regular price €39. Applies to red only.

Would suit fine for kids room or playroom.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/00118170

EDIT >>> I see its already posted in a seperate IKEA sale link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I have a few of the beech ones, and for the price, they are far better than anything you would get in Woodies, Atlantic etc. You can actually put books on these. One thing though, if it is to be used for books, you'll probably need to buy an extra shelf pack, I've had to buy 2 more packs for the 3 I have up, and if I ever put up the 4th, I'd need another pack again.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭mell61

you do need to have the Ikea family card to avail of the price, but you can sign up in the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

mcgovern wrote: »
    I have a few of the beech ones, and for the price, they are far better than anything you would get in Woodies, Atlantic etc. You can actually put books on these. One thing though, if it is to be used for books, you'll probably need to buy an extra shelf pack, I've had to buy 2 more packs for the 3 I have up, and if I ever put up the 4th, I'd need another pack again.

What are the extra shelf pack? Are they for this unit?
    Why did you need them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

This, plus white paint = nice shelves :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

The-Rigger wrote: »
    What are the extra shelf pack? Are they for this unit?
    Why did you need them?

The whole Billy system is fairly interchangable, I don't remember exactly which shelf pack I got, but I got them from Ikea and I see they still sell extra shelves.
    I needed them because I have mainly paperbacks, and using the supplied shelving, to suit that size I had a space about 25% of the unit, with no shelves. I needed 2-3 extra shelves per unit to fill it out nicely, and thats with some bigger shelf spaces for hardbacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Its coming up at 39 for me. is it expired, do i have to "do" something to get this price or is it only available in store?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I put together a fairly large Billy system a year ago in our house and discovered the hard way that Ikea is Swedish for "You get what you pay for".

The shelves won't take a lot of weight, they bow considerably under weight.

The load bearing of most Ikea shelves seems to be not more than a couple of pairs of socks and a plastic ornament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

murphm45 wrote: »
    Its coming up at 39 for me. is it expired, do i have to "do" something to get this price or is it only available in store?

Its showing at €39 online but you can buy for €9 instore. You have to sign up for an Ikea Family Card. This can be done instore and costs you nothing. Swipe the card when paying and you get a reduction of €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭karlyk1

The load bearing of most Ikea shelves seems to be not more than a couple of pairs of socks and a plastic ornament.

You have weird taste in ornaments :P

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

I put together a fairly large Billy system a year ago in our house and discovered the hard way that Ikea is Swedish for "You get what you pay for".

The shelves won't take a lot of weight, they bow considerably under weight.

I have one that I got in the UK over 10 years ago and it's still going strong. They can't be that bad if they can survive a move from the UK to Ireland.

Wouldn't hesitate to buy more if I only had the space :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement