Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Times Ireland/Sunday Times Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

gaillimh wrote: »
    I see this €5 offer is still going. I used to have the Sunday Times iPad app a few years back where you could download the full epaper on a Sunday morning but they disbanded that app.
    Just wondering if anyone could answer some things for me?
    In the iPad app - can you view the epaper for previous weeks or can you just view the current edition?
    Do you have full access to all articles on Sundaytimes.co.uk - for example if you click on a link to an older article from a google search will your sub allow access to this regardless of when the article was created?

Cheers

No they didn't, I still use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eguiney

gaillimh wrote: »
    In the iPad app - can you view the epaper for previous weeks or can you just view the current edition?

In the Android tablet app you can access issues for the past four weeks. The iPad one is probably similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭gaillimh

Birneybau wrote: »
    No they didn't, I still use it.
    What I meant really was that the option to download that days paper on a once off basis (for something like €3 per edition) from within the app on a Sunday morning was removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Picked the phone menu option for cancellations department.....8 minutes on hold waiting to cancel and then the call mysteriously drops. (of course)

Got fed up and picked menu option for the sales department > Call answered within 10 seconds > Asked for cancellations.

Be prepared for a hard sell retentions pantomime where they basically try to patronise you into staying.....

*** For the record I would have cancelled immediately once they axed the Irish operation but a family member used to use this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Can you download an edition as a epaper IE looking exactly like the print edition like the Irish Times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Can you download an edition as a epaper IE looking exactly like the print edition like the Irish Times?

no, I don't think so. it's not exactly like the paper edition, but i think it's better because each story gets it's own page or pages. so easier to read and scroll thru story by story. bigger font, photos can be enlarged, just an easier way to read.

with the irish times, because it's a replicate of the print edition, you have to zoom in on the page to read it, and scroll around the page to read each story, and then swipe or press arrow to the next page.

Irish Times works better on larger ipads/tablets in portrait mode.

edit : even with the reduction in Ireland news/sports, it is absolutely worth a fiver a month (i was happy paying more for it). Even if you only read the magazine editions or weekend papers it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just got the email there. 100% increase on the sub from €5 to €10 starting next month. In fairness it was great value for the last number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Just got the email there. 100% increase on the sub from €5 to €10 starting next month. In fairness it was great value for the last number of years.

Got it as well, even at 10euro its worth it i suppose. Ill be keeping mine.

Glebee wrote: »
    Got it as well, even at 10euro its worth it i suppose. Ill be keeping mine.

Same here. Had a good run on the old sub so reckon I owe them back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

How much is a paper copy of Sunday Times these days??

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be less than €3 I suppose. With this I have it on 'phone, Kindle and job's tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭E30M3

Same here. Had a good run on the old sub so reckon I owe them back!!

I rang and got cancellations Dept and after listening to a sob story I firmly outlined I would still like to cancel as I felt the Irish content was insufficient since the closure of the Irish Edition.

I was offered 3 months at the current price to get me to July so worth a call folks. I will review in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

E30M3 wrote: »
    I rang and got cancellations Dept and after listening to a sob story I firmly outlined I would still like to cancel as I felt the Irish content was insufficient since the closure of the Irish Edition.

I was offered 3 months at the current price to get me to July so worth a call folks. I will review in July.
    I think it's well worth it TBH
    Yes the Irish edition could be more extensive at times, but overall a great package

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Didn't get any email ref price rise,or else bloody deleted it

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Just as well I saw this, as I use a throwaway email for my sub.
    I actually rang them 2 years ago to cancel, but they offered me a €5/month to stay on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

E30M3 wrote: »

Phoned just now and was given 6 months more at current price.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

dinneenp wrote: »
    Phoned just now and was given 6 months more at current price.

:)

Did you phone to "cancel"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Just scanned my emails and I have not received any notice of this price increase. I also see that in my original sign up email they said
    "Once your trial expires on the X, an ongoing monthly payment of £5.00 will be due on or just after the same date each month. Should the amount, date or frequency of your payment change, we will notify you 10 working days in advance of your next payment or as otherwise agreed."

My payment date is in 8 working days. Strange

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

ablelocks wrote: »
    Did you phone to "cancel"?

Ya, "Hi, I'd like to cancel due to the doubling price." Didn't even get as far as saying I really like the app....Irish content isn't enough to justify €10 pm etc. and he said I'll give you 6 months more at current price.

• Advertisement

buyer95 wrote: »
    Just scanned my emails and I have not received any notice of this price increase. I also see that in my original sign up email they said
    "Once your trial expires on the X, an ongoing monthly payment of £5.00 will be due on or just after the same date each month. Should the amount, date or frequency of your payment change, we will notify you 10 working days in advance of your next payment or as otherwise agreed."

My payment date is in 8 working days. Strange

This is what I received last week. Name and contact details removed.

This is what I received last week. Name and contact details removed.

Yeah I have not gotten that email. Can you just confirm what the email address was that you received that notice from

From; [email]noreply@info,the times coming uk/.[/email]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Thanks Fann Linn for the info, I missed their email last week (mine arrived on the 4th).

I rang to cancel and offered 6 months at the current rate, but I just don't use it as much these days so I just cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭KTBFFH

Same advice as most here, called up and asked to cancel, gave a small spiel about lack of Irish content. Offered 6 months cheaper rate nearly right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,258 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Very annoying how you can subscribe in seconds online, but you have to go through a phone line to cancel.

dulpit wrote: »
    Very annoying how you can subscribe in seconds online, but you have to go through a phone line to cancel.

Jaysus, hadn't even opened the email and found it from a few days ago, just assumed it was some marketing blurb.

I intend to cancel, not bothered about getting a few more months, and €10 is not worth it to me, as I regularly end up buying the actual Sunday paper.

If I pay by Revolut, can I not cancel by simply stopping the direct debit?

Just an update on this. I was billed today for the month at 5 euro. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

buyer95 wrote: »
    Just an update on this. I was billed today for the month at 5 euro. Strange.

They probably need to give a certain notice period. I only got the email about the price increase yesterday.

“ To enable our continued commitment to high quality journalism, your price is moving to the new rate of €2.31 a week, which is equivalent to €9.99 a month (effective from your bill on 01 May 2021).”

• Advertisement

If I pay by Revolut, can I not cancel by simply stopping the direct debit?

any views on above? I stopped the paypal direct debit to revolut card, so it can't be taken out. Is that the end of it or will the Times go looking for failed payments?

Advertisement