Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xiaomi Mi Smart TV 4S 43" 301.90e

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭VINNIEB

Hi, firstly thanks to the OP.

Got my 43" on Monday, all is great.

Only disappointing thing is the satellite and terrestrial channels are not on the one list. Minor problem.

Great TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I have solved the issue with the device not showing as being online when powered off (as best as I can anyway)

Basically when you power off the device if seems to actually turn off as opposed to being on standby, resulting in your phone or Google home unable to cast to it until you turn it back on.

On your remote, press and hold the power button and you'll get 3 options - power off, restart or screen off, and it's this option when activated it just powers off the screen meaning the device is still active, but nothing is displayed on the screen.

So basically if you want to be able to cast to the telly while it's in standby, use this function.

You can also use it for music etc, eg open Google music, select music and then turn off the screen and the music will still play in the background.

Does my job anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

McMurphy wrote: »
    I have solved the issue with the device not showing as being online when powered off (as best as I can anyway)

Basically when you power off the device if seems to actually turn off as opposed to being on standby, resulting in your phone or Google home unable to cast to it until you turn it back on.

On your remote, press and hold the power button and you'll get 3 options - power off, restart or screen off, and it's this option when activated it just powers off the screen meaning the device is still active, but nothing is displayed on the screen.

So basically if you want to be able to cast to the telly while it's in standby, use this function.

You can also use it for music etc, eg open Google music, select music and then turn off the screen and the music will still play in the background.

Does my job anyway!

Probably wouldn't be great for the tv longterm though to be on 24/7.

DopeTech wrote: »
    Probably wouldn't be great for the tv longterm though to be on 24/7.

I got that from watching a few of your man tech Singh videos, he reckons that option uses so little power as to be negligible.

Not Ideal I know, but until xaoimi issue am update with that (which I would have thought was fairly basic) functionality on it, it'll have to do.

Hooked up a wireless keyboard and mouse. Firefox for Android TV isn't bad.

20200601-185737.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Hooked up a wireless keyboard and mouse. Firefox for Android TV isn't bad.

I've just bought a Sony Android TV, I am not seeing the "Firefox for android tv" on the play store, is it available on the play store on the Xiaomi?

If not, I'm sure there is an apk floating around that could do the job.

1huge1 wrote: »
    I've just bought a Sony Android TV, I am not seeing the "Firefox for android tv" on the play store, is it available on the play store on the Xiaomi?

If not, I'm sure there is an apk floating around that could do the job.

It is via Aptoide TV app store which has to be sideloaded.

https://tv.aptoide.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

It is via Aptoide TV app store which has to be sideloaded.

https://tv.aptoide.com

Brilliant, thanks DopeTech, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kennyt

I would guess the firestick or a similar Bluetooth remote will suit. You could even install an app on your phone to do the job.

Got firestick and phone app paired, they are grand, but lack of an on/off button is annoying.

Had a Google and can't find an official replacement remote.

This is closest I've seen:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_d7fEIbV

Not sure if it will work with it though.

Android TV is great, downloaded VLC player. Plays any format you throw at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gripcasey

kennyt wrote: »
    Got firestick and phone app paired, they are grand, but lack of an on/off button is annoying.

Had a Google and can't find an official replacement remote.

This is closest I've seen:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_d7fEIbV

Not sure if it will work with it though.

Android TV is great, downloaded VLC player. Plays any format you throw at it.

What phone app are you using.

• Advertisement

gripcasey wrote: »
    What phone app are you using.

Xiaomi remote is the name

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gripcasey

kennyt wrote: »
    Xiaomi remote is the name

Can not get that to work at all. An it is a Xiaomi phone, but the app can't find the TV, driving me mad trying to sort it

gripcasey wrote: »
    Can not get that to work at all. An it is a Xiaomi phone, but the app can't find the TV, driving me mad trying to sort it

"Remote control for Xiaomi TV-box/Kodi"

I would guess the firestick or a similar Bluetooth remote will suit. You could even install an app on your phone to do the job.

Can confirm it does indeed work.

Paired the firestick remote and it works flawlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

In lidl next week 43” ULTRA HD SMART TV

Toshiba
    RRP €369
    € 279.00

Toshiba

43” ULTRA HD SMART TV

SPECIFICATIONS

Display 4K Ultra HD, Dolby Vision HDR

Resolution 3840 x 2160

Processor Dual Core

Sound Dolby Audio, 2x10W output

Connectivity Bluetooth, WLAN, 4xHDMI, 2xUSB, VGA.

Energy Class A+
    same specs XIAOMI I THINK????

DERICKOO wrote: »

Toshiba
    RRP €369
    € 279.00

Toshiba

43” ULTRA HD SMART TV

SPECIFICATIONS

Resolution 3840 x 2160

Processor Dual Core

Energy Class A+
    Running Android TV with satellite & saorview tuner?

Edit: found it, no android TV.
    https://www.lidl-shop.be/nl-BE/TOSHIBA-43-smart-tv-4K-Ultra-HD/p100300938#

TV arrived yesterday 55" morning and screen was cracked the box was dented and reported to AMAZON.DE .The company that shipped it contacted me and told me to drop it to post office for inspection and return. AN POST told me i needed a return label with the correct address but the company refuses to issue a label.
    This is the message i received. Don't know how to deal with this as I'm cuckooling company is cw-mobile

Hello,

thank you very much for your message.

No, unfortunately this is not possible.

Normally, Swiss Post uses a new label with the same consignment number?

The device must then be sent to the following address:
    cw-mobile GmbH
    Altenstein 12

Nice man in AN POST Sorting office excepted the parcel back and gave me a tracking number and advised me not to purchase another from overseas for awhile as there are a lot of temporary staff not using correct storing methods they have had a few broken ones since lock-down started much more than normal. i have reported the whole episode to AMAZON.DE
    Hopefully now we can have an end to this sorry tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Nice man in AN POST Sorting office excepted the parcel back and gave me a tracking number and advised me not to purchase another from overseas for awhile as there are a lot of temporary staff not using correct storing methods they have had a few broken ones since lock-down started much more than normal. i have reported the whole episode to AMAZON.DE

u got free delivery to germany?

u got free delivery to germany?

Yes i reported breakage to AN POST head office in Dublin he called local office and i delivered it there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 JageMeister

Glad you got that sorted. I've supposed to have had my one arriving since Friday but it seems to be stuck in Portlaoise, no word from an Post. Fairly worried now that the thing will arrive in bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Toshiba
    RRP €369
    € 279.00

Toshiba

43” ULTRA HD SMART TV

Resolution 3840 x 2160

Processor Dual Core

Energy Class A+
    No. Vestel. Lots of reference to Turkey.

I bought it and its going back. App store locked down to crap variety. Cannot download others. No play store, no vpn to access UK, no way to download. Cannot add virgin player so needs a smart stick - what's the point then?
    Cannot see any way to program buttons

Very disappointed. It's nice and light with good picture. YouTube nice and Netflix

No. Vestel. Lots of reference to Turkey.

I bought it and its going back. App store locked down to crap variety. Cannot download others. No play store, no vpn to access UK, no way to download. Cannot add virgin player so needs a smart stick - what's the point then?
    Cannot see any way to program buttons

Very disappointed. It's nice and light with good picture. YouTube nice and Netflix
    It's not running android TV os so it was never going to have all that functionality on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

The issue with Budget Tvs is the variety of Apps and access to software updates tend to be really limited. LG really are the best i have seen and you can stick to a budget with them too.

The issue with Budget Tvs is the variety of Apps and access to software updates tend to be really limited. LG really are the best i have seen and you can stick to a budget with them too.

Not sure if any LGs come with android though.

I agree LG web os isn't bad. It does the basics well and the quality of the actual screens themselves are hard to beat but if you want lots of apps,VPN etc then it makes sense to make sure the TV runs android TV os.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Very disappointed. Was going to use it as bedroom TV. No virgin point in attic so was going to use virgin app. But it cannot be installed. By setting location to UK, can use free iew apps, but it sees outside UK. Cannot install a vpn so still fecked.

Very disappointed. Netflix runs well. Jurassic Park at max definition was really good.

Quite a let down from lidl. Considering if I should return it today

Very disappointed. Was going to use it as bedroom TV. No virgin point in attic so was going to use virgin app. But it cannot be installed. By setting location to UK, can use free iew apps, but it sees outside UK. Cannot install a vpn so still fecked.

Very disappointed. Netflix runs well. Jurassic Park at max definition was really good.

Quite a let down from lidl. Considering if I should return it today

I never returned anything to lidl myself but anyone else who's mentioned it has always had good experiences. I think if you box it up, bring it in and just explain it doesn't have the features you expected they will probably take it back. Worst case scenario they say no and you need to flog it on adverts.ie but I'd say lidl will take it back.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i ordered one of these from amazon.de but got an email this morning that they are going to refund my account with the following message:
    Good day,
    They had ordered the item listed below, but the shipment was returned to us by the transportation service. We have therefore arranged for a refund.
    A list of possible reasons why your shipment returned to us as undeliverable can be found here. If you are still interested in the item, please check your address and place a new order.

there wa sno additional reason why the shipment was returned, and my address is perfect.

anyone here have issues getting amazon.de deliveries ireland ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 JageMeister

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i ordered one of these from amazon.de but got an email this morning that they are going to refund my account with the following message:

there wa sno additional reason why the shipment was returned, and my address is perfect.

anyone here have issues getting amazon.de deliveries ireland ?

Having a bit of hassle here too. Was due for delivery by An Post on the 7th, no word from them since and the thing is stuck in Portlaoise. Got onto them yesterday and they said they're experiencing huge delays in the Cork area, no word on any issues with the thing. Amazon customer support then told me they considered the item as lost and are sending a replacement unit via a Courier. Seems to be a bit of a free for all.

Advertisement