Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Letting out whole house or individual rooms

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

LJ12345 wrote: »
    There’s rent a room leases and entire property leases. The rule in the uk is if you do not have the right to all 4 corners of the property then you’re not leasing the entire house and the landlord has access to the areas kept for themselves. I haven’t seen any mention of anything surrounding the rules on this in Ireland, anyone any insight?

This is not the UK. We left in 1922.

I was at an RTB adjudication where that very thing happened.

How did they justify it when the rules of the RTA could not be met. The Owner is entitled to enter the house, stay in the house and do as he pleases in house going against a large amount of the RTA. How often was the owner staying in the house?

I would assume immediately after the adjunction the “tenant” was given notice as the owner required the room back for his own use.

How did they justify it when the rules of the RTA could not be met. The Owner is entitled to enter the house, stay in the house and do as he pleases in house going against a large amount of the RTA.

I would assume immediately after the adjunction the “tenant” was given notice as the owner required the room back for his own use.

The finding was that the tenant was a tenant of that room with shared services.
    What happened after that was the owner had to stay living with the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LJ12345

This is not the UK. We left in 1922.

Very constructive thanks

LJ12345 wrote: »
    Very constructive thanks

You are welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 curious minds

I was at an RTB adjudication where that very thing happened.

Where is this adjudication? any name? so we can read the report and figure out the grounds on which RTB made the adjudication

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭dennyk

Keep in mind there are different rules and criteria for the Rent-a-Room tax relief scheme and for determining whether a rental is a license or a tenancy; a license agreement can still exist in certain circumstances even if the rental in question doesn't qualify for the Rent-a-Room scheme by Revenue's standards. The landlord keeping a room for his own regular use may be enough for the RTB to deem the arrangement a license agreement even if it is not the landlord's primary residence and therefore doesn't qualify for Rent-a-Room tax relief.

Where is this adjudication? any name? so we can read the report and figure out the grounds on which RTB made the adjudication

Only Determination Orders are published in respect of adjudications, which are private in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LJ12345

Useful information for this thread. 3rd point on the types of licensee arrangements

Link: https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/beginning-a-tenancy/types-of-tenancies-and-agreements/licences/

Advertisement