Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May shocker: strong winds, squally showers, even the potential for wintry showers

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Strong winds for the afternoon / evening, quite windy in the E later this evening as the isobars tighten before moving offshore across the Irish sea.

Strong head wind for flights or shipping for a time coming from the E.

Just 4.8mm here near Tralee, blustery but nothing too strong as yet, wind veering more W now and increasing.

nYt8JGk.png

XWQoixL.png

mcv06tv.png

FlEcaCu.png

o4hqW9o.png

Gusting 94km/h at Mace Head 15.00

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Bog standard stuff here in Galway. Annoying breeze, overcast, spits of rain - you know, the usual.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Rain the main feature here in Waterford City with 15.7mm recorded at my station. Also of note a torrential downpour to finish the rain with rates of 130mm/h

And 104 km/h at 16.00 at Mace Head

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Gusty and raining all day in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

People injured and damage done to some cars on O'Connell Street Limerick today

Reports: coming in that cars were damaged and people injured when Construction fences came down across from Starbucks O'Connell Street today over the current storm ������ please be careful approaching this area in cars. ��

Taken from Limerick Now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭NoLuckLarry

Rotten day in Limerick, this weather can pack its bags and **** right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Decided to take a spin up to Minaun mountain which over looks Achill to experience the full force of the wind. What a feeling. Heres a photo from this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Decided to take a spin up to Minaun mountain which over looks Achill to experience the full force of the wind. What a feeling. Heres a photo from this evening

Minaun is beautiful, always stunning view no matter the weather. Well except the time I drove up into cloud.

Plenty of surf down on keel in that pic :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Calming down a bit now here near Tralee, gusted over 70 km/h and split a tree in half in my garden :( Could have been worse.

Just 5.0mm here

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭TTTT

Went to Ballybunnion in Kerry this afternoon. Parked the car.
    Got out.
    Got sandblasted.
    Got back into the car.

Haven't experienced a direct onshore wind like that in a long time. Sitting watching the surf and empty beach was weird on May bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ronman

Strongest winds all day at the moment in noth galway and turned north direction. Has to be gusting near 100. Exposed location. It has really picked up in the last 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,924 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Went out to put some extra weight on the trampoline.

Seems to be getting rougher again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

An absolute sh1tfest of a day outside Tullamore. The winds gusting possibly stronger now than earlier today.
    Up on a hill. Might as well be in a lighthouse..would drive you gaga.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Not too bad a day here in Roscommon. Wet in the morning, windy in the afternoon. My gauge stopped recording but I believe we had less than 15mm and the sun shone for a good few hours. Better than many days last Summer snyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭pauldry

Still on the look out for Thursday. Snow possible in Britain. Only 7 to 10c in Ireland and subzero night.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very heavy bands of showers here all evening and very squally winds, easily the worst day of the year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Calming down a bit now here near Tralee, gusted over 70 km/h and split a tree in half in my garden :( Could have been worse.

Just 5.0mm here

Had 10mm over my way with 14mm this month.
    Only had 11mm in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

TTTT wrote: »
    Went to Ballybunnion in Kerry this afternoon. Parked the car.
    Got out.
    Got sandblasted.
    Got back into the car.

Haven't experienced a direct onshore wind like that in a long time. Sitting watching the surf and empty beach was weird on May bank holiday.
    Regularly get that in Banna.

Maybe I just go there a lot:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

pauldry wrote: »
    Still on the look out for Thursday. Snow possible in Britain. Only 7 to 10c in Ireland and subzero night.

The GFS 18z has nothing above 13c right until May 17th, the 12z was similarly cool, with a continuation of overnight frosts and temperatures generally struggling to get past 11c. The other models are not as cool as the GFS however.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Storm Maybug(***) just keeps on giving!

After a loud night out here, a deafening hailstorm around half past five. Calmer just now but no trust left....

And SO COLD! I am going to have to order a bag of coal. IN MAY. That really goes against the grain... NB they have snow in parts of Canada.

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Regularly get that in Banna.

Maybe I just go there a lot:)

Banna!!! Top of my list of beaches to go to once restrictions are lifted......so jealous you can go regularly!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Very windy all night in north Kildare

One of the kids was up most of the night taking readings and measurements on their new weather station that Santa brought.

The wind really was quite strong for this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭pauldry

According to Radio parts of Europe has their coldest April in 35 years.

Whats our coldest May? Will this May beat it? I think I remember one that had IMT around 9c but not sure when. 1995 was a brutal May before a good Summer. Can we have a repeat please!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I was just out at the back taking vegetable peelings to the compost ( home made chicken soup!) ; a field away from the ocean ..north...

Herds of white horses galloping inshore at high speed, with white sheep racing alongside and underneath them. . Blue sky and sunshine..

Too bitter cold to linger long. But total beauty.

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

11c in Cork now, nice and sunny. But the wind outside would cut you in half. Ordinarily this would be excuse enough to head somewhere (anywhere) nicer but not this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just had a very heavy hail shower which left a brief covering on pavements. Very strange to see this in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Serious hailstorm just now here in Bray too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Alun wrote: »
    Serious hailstorm just now here in Bray too.

Know what you mean !!

https://streamable.com/gd7kd3

(mid Co.Down)

Advertisement