Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Biological determinism via genetics? Agency, free will etc

Options
  • 21-03-2021 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

I think this is a hot topic at present,

Probably one of the best and most concise videos outlining the various perspectives on determinism vs free will.

Looking back, could our life path have differed dramatically had we made different choices?

Or was there only one really clear path we could have realistically taken (unless we wanted to quit humanity and become a drug addict or something I guess...?).

It seems scientific intervention is the one true most profound means by which humans have agency (ability to chose our destiny/fate), i.e. alleviate constraints on our free will.

Example - a century ago, kids were expected to get the basics in school, then enter the workforece and that was their fate (in Ireland at least).

With subsequent enhancement in quality of life, economics etc., they now have ability to chose the former, or continue with education, go travel the world, engage in their own niche interests - the options go on and on.

i.e. alleviating constraints on free will to chose, seems to be largely underwritten by scientific advancement, thus associated enhancement in quality of life and living.

Advertisement