Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Low flying aircraft

• 13-04-2021 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

This flew over my house, a few minutes ago...anybody know what it's up to?...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Flight calibration. Perfect time with less air traffic in and out of Dublin airport

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DublinKev

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is flight calibration?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The aircraft flies to or from navigation aids to check them for accuracy. Some are located at airports and others are located in line with the runways, a few miles away,so that the approaching or departing airliner can use them for guidance to or from the runway in cloud or bad weather or when conducting an instrument approach or departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,859 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Was circling around D3 area on Monday.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

FunkyDa2 wrote: »
    This flew over my house, a few minutes ago...anybody know what it's up to?...

FlightRadar24 even tells you in the description of the Aircraft :pac:

Was over Shannon last week too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭FunkyDa2

Psychlops wrote: »
    FlightRadar24 even tells you in the description of the Aircraft :pac:

Was over Shannon last week too.

The reason I asked was because there seemed to be a lot of "random" flight path showing on FlightRadar24...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sullovan

Three low flying helicopters flew over my house in Cork city just now. Any ideas what that’s about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Sullovan wrote: »
    Three low flying helicopters flew over my house in Cork city just now. Any ideas what that’s about?

Practice run for the next time when a bunch of ninjas parachute in at night and take all your stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Saw them leaving Casement around 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DublinKev

Stovepipe wrote: »
    The aircraft flies to or from navigation aids to check them for accuracy. Some are located at airports and others are located in line with the runways, a few miles away,so that the approaching or departing airliner can use them for guidance to or from the runway in cloud or bad weather or when conducting an instrument approach or departure.

Thanks Stovepipe, interesting to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Air Corps planned exercise, details: https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/explained-military-activity-skies-over-20382527

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdamB

GBX wrote: »
    Saw them leaving Casement around 7pm.

3 helicopters just flew over Clonmel at 19:30 this evening, one smaller leading two larger heading south towards Cork. Nothing on FR.

AdamB wrote: »
    3 helicopters just flew over Clonmel at 19:30 this evening, one smaller leading two larger heading south towards Cork. Nothing on FR.

FR24 is horrendous & actively blocks Mil/Interesting so your not seeing anything, what you saw was WOLF flight, 2 AW139 & 1 EC135 of the Air Corps backed up by XRAY281 a PC12NG SPECTRE.

If you have an iphone i suggest you buy OPEN ASDB, its a once off payment of €11.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JMSE

Saw a low flying aircraft last night right over Naas at 2340 Tuesday evening. I haven’t an idea what it was, I only saw the 2 red lights maybe on the wings. Was it a plane, 2 choppers? But very low. I couldn’t hear, I did take a rough video which won’t impress 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 51,481 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Stovepipe wrote: »

Very interesting and well explained.
    It’s nice when someone takes the time to inform those of us who are ignorant of facts like these without making little of us.
    Thank you.

[PHP][/PHP]
    JMSE wrote: »
    Saw a low flying aircraft last night right over Naas at 2340 Tuesday evening. I haven’t an idea what it was, I only saw the 2 red lights maybe on the wings. Was it a plane, 2 choppers? But very low. I couldn’t hear, I did take a rough video which won’t impress ��

See my post..

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Why are the Aer Lingus flights from London coming in to land the wrong way round?:-)
    They always come straight over, in over Malahide and down.
    Today and yesterday they came in over Wicklow, up along, over Kill and Maynooth and in to land.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wind direction. Coming over Maynooth is common for much of the summer due to the sea breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Lovely, thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

L1011 wrote: »
    Wind direction. Coming over Maynooth is common for much of the summer due to the sea breeze

I remember flying from East Midlands once, we spent more time flying over Kildare and Meath than we did flying over the Irish sea to make our approach from the west.

• Advertisement
Advertisement