Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Funny Names

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

JGEP wrote: »

Juliette Gash!!:pac::pac:

Hungry Julie as she's known.:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I can remeber hearing a job about how the first two gay men to marry in Ireland are named Patricks FitzMichael and Michael FitzPatrick.

In the magazine focus one guy mentioned a dentists in US called "Dennis Smiles"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

Knew a guy called Richard Edwards .
    Dick Ed

Shorten it up and see what you get.

His parents didn't realise for a long time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

There was a girl in my school called Cliona Ramsbottom! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

Knew a Hugh Ryan once....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Bleedin Delish

Met a guy once whos name was Montague Cockburn... awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

teres a guy that lives up the road from me whos name is Pat McGee :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

My son has a whole book dedicated to genuine peoples' ridiculous names. I've nearly cracked all my ribs from laughing at these:D.Details are given from various censuses where they were found. I'll share some with you........

Dick Bumshead
    Obese Burke
    Idiot Bigmeat
    Joe Bignose
    John Brainless :D
    Albert Bumface
    Imbecile Crazy
    Misery Constant
    Dirty King
    Messy Licker:o
    Constant Grief
    Big Head
    Strange Young Mann:D
    Absolutely Nobody (so ridiculous I'll give the details...Born 7 Jan 1957, died Seattle, Washington, USA, 26 October 1993)
    Miserable Porter
    Billy Silly
    Ugly Plug (Born Washington 1810 Lewis, Wsahington, 1880 US census)
    Wash Slime(Born South Carolina, 1880 US census)
    Flippin Strange
    Baldy Wiggins
    Mary Useless

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

2 people in my town called Fanrahan Hanrahan. I kid you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

My two besties' surnames are Scully and Scally.

There's a dentist in Donegal called Wille Bonner. There also seem to be an abundance of Packie Bonners in my area.

And a friend of mine from Glasgow's dad is called Donald McDonald. She gets endless harassment from us for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Din Taylor

Work with aguy called Andrew Peacock. I like to call him Drew.

We also have a Jo Kerr. Thought the obvius was funny until she told me Jo is short for Joanne (Jo-WAN Kerr).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

giggsy664 wrote: »
    Randy Gaylord
    Dr. Doctor, Dr. Surgeon

A friend of mine knew two doctors, one was Dr.Kidney, and the other Dr.Legg.

People with these names taking up those professions could be down to the effect researched by a behavioural scientist who discovered that proportionally there are more dentists that are named Dennis than should be.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/book_extracts/article2804926.ece

Be careful what you name your kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

"I know a Fr. Clint Power maybe shes having a go at him?"

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NBTD

Went to Primary school with a Hugh McHugh. When the roll was called as Gaeilge, his name was Aodh Mac Aodh. Cue every day for 8 years, someone would follow up with B Mac B!

Worked in th UK where the client's rep was a Col. Michael Hunt (seriously!). I thought it was a piss take when I was told. He went crazy if anyone called him Mike!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Knew a chap from ages ago called Brian O'Brien... I mean, are they sadistic parents or what?!?

Another mate of mine has a double barelled name, and once got fairly scorpy with me when I tried to call him by only one of his names; "Use all my names" he says... This also backfired fairly recently when a bloke said to us both (after seeing my mate's name on a league table): "Who's <mate's name>"

me: "that would be him, sitting across from you"

Alan: "really? Jaysus, when I saw that name I thought this was some big posh nobhead."

oh the hilarity...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

Annette Curtin...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Keithm89 wrote: »
    Had a PE teacher called Joe King...
    His brother Lee is a plumber....

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

teres a guy that lives up the road from me whos name is Pat McGee :p

Does he by any chance have a brother called Ulic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

NoHornJan wrote: »
    Does he by any chance have a brother called Ulic?

I'm stunned it took this long for ulick magee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

Had a subsitute Biology teacher in 5th year who's name was
    Ms. Condon.... of course to 15 year old girl Ms Condon sounded too much like Ms Condom. She had to leave after only one class because we all laughed so much.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My brother once met a guy whose name was Jorma... It was pronounced "Yore ma" :D Nobody else seemed to get why he found it so funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Seloth wrote: »
    and shags the cabinboy

It's actually Roger the cabinboy.

There was a guy on an email list in a company I used to work for called Pierce Toale.

Pierced ears, pierced eyebrows, pierced tongues, even pierced nipples are all sore but a Pierce Toale must be particularly painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I knew a Teresa Greene, a Breda Pidgeon, and a Cliodhna Swan (how *do* you do that?), but the best of all was a couple in College - Susan Fell and Colin Naughta.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I know a Willie Brett and an Eaton Curry:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Augustus Gloop

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WWC1

I know a Hugh Ryan. Got pulled by the cops once for speeding and they wouldn't believe that was his name!!

Know of a couple who called their kid Drew. Their surname is Peacock. Hmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Had a fitness trainer before called Betty Swallocks :P

Knew a guy called Micky Moore!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

There is (was) an acupuncturist near the Olympia in Dublin called Dr Pin. Not Joe King, someone may notice it if passing by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭horseplay

Aonas Looney

Knickname : Mad Arse

:)

Advertisement