Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looks like lyca are getting ready for an Irish launch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

icylava wrote: »
    Where did you see that the data bundle has been reduced to 50MB? I just got the lycamobile sim working on my phone and the Internet is working brilliantly....I was thinking tethering with my laptop.....

Their website still says unlimited data on any top-up till 31st, Oct....

Hi icylava, you're coming to this thread late. The problem is that Lyca DRASTICALLY change their service offerings constantly. The tariff we refer to above was because Lyca offered unlimited data after launch until the last day in July.
    Then on the first of August they announced the 50MB per month allowance with absolutely penal overage charges. They implemented that tariff the same day they announced it. There was no prior notice whatsoever.

Now the offering has changed again and is what you're seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭icylava

breathn wrote: »
    Hi icylava, you're coming to this thread late. The problem is that Lyca DRASTICALLY change their service offerings constantly. The tariff we refer to above was because Lyca offered unlimited data after launch until the last day in July.
    Then on the first of August they announced the 50MB per month allowance with absolutely penal overage charges. They implemented that tariff the same day they announced it. There was no prior notice whatsoever.

Now the offering has changed again and is what you're seeing.

I see what's going on. Thanks for the info, breathn!

The lyca sim is working as expected so far, really low international call rate and unlimited data including tethering which totally surprised me! I mean with the bonus credit when you top up online, their rate cannot be beaten by any other operator in Ireland.

There is just one small thing that I think they should improve, the itemized call history online. Currently, it is NOT showing the duration of each call and how much data was used for each single session. I would give lycamobile an extra plus if their technical team can do that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,870 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Maybe I'm being overly cynical (if that's the word) but is icylava not an anagram of Iv A Lyca?
    If they have employed you as a shill I suggest they promote you to MD immediately as at least there maybe some chance of getting a response from you.
    After applying for a SIM twice without results I wandered over to a couple of the young un's they had flooding the streets of Galway giving out SIMs over the summer. Explained that my SIM hadn't come by post expecting them to say sorry and give me one of the ones they were handing out. But no, they looked at each other, one says 'I don't know' and they carried on handing them out to everybody on the street except me!
    I would be very nervous about using them until they get things sorted out as I would be afraid if I had any problems then Customer Service would be non-existent.

Maybe I'm being overly cynical (if that's the word) but is icylava not an anagram of Iv A Lyca?
    If they have employed you as a shill I suggest they promote you to MD immediately as at least there maybe some chance of getting a response from you.
    After applying for a SIM twice without results I wandered over to a couple of the young un's they had flooding the streets of Galway giving out SIMs over the summer. Explained that my SIM hadn't come by post expecting them to say sorry and give me one of the ones they were handing out. But no, they looked at each other, one says 'I don't know' and they carried on handing them out to everybody on the street except me!
    I would be very nervous about using them until they get things sorted out as I would be afraid if I had any problems then Customer Service would be non-existent.

Jesus....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: You are absolutely overly cynical!!! And you must have envied me the enjoyment of such a low rate and free Internet that you don't have because you are reluctant to try and depend totally on customer service! Go to a local shop, get a free sim pack, read the instructions carefully, top up 5 euros online and see what's happening....Even if you think you get screwed, you lose only 5 euro, OK? No risk, no reward!!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rks

@ thesandeman - I wouldn't suggest you porting your number immediately until they sort out their customer service.

Having said that, giving a try with a €5 sim is not an issue. I use it mostly to make call to outside Ireland. Which works fine and cheap, in some cases cheaper that Tesco mobile but they definately have better customer service than Lyca.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,870 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Yeah I might risk the fiver. It's mainly for internet I want it. It probably won't work out any cheaper than 3 for me though and their total lack of customer service (to me anyways) is very off-putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rks

True, you dont know how long they will continue with their free internet offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

I think I might be able to make a saving by using Lyca whenever I'm calling relatives on their landlines. I'm reluctant to port my number as friends have had difficulties with other MVNOs but I have an old unlocked phone. Would getting a Lyca SIM be worthwhile? What's the coverage and line quality like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Coverage and quality are good. They use o2 network. So it's as good as o2 can get. As I said before dont port your number but getting a sim for your spare phone is fine. I do the same. Very good saving on international calls as well.

Thanks coldfire

• Advertisement

jrmb wrote: »
    I think I might be able to make a saving by using Lyca whenever I'm calling relatives on their landlines. I'm reluctant to port my number as friends have had difficulties with other MVNOs but I have an old unlocked phone. Would getting a Lyca SIM be worthwhile? What's the coverage and line quality like?

The quality of calling landlines is pretty good at any times while sometimes you get dropped out when you are calling a mobile. And it looks like the call quality to mobile is not very good if the callee is on the move...

This is good enough, considering the extremely cheap rate.....

The quality of calling landlines is pretty good at any times while sometimes you get dropped out when you are calling a mobile. And it looks like the call quality to mobile is not very good if the callee is on the move...

I started using it today and I'm very impressed with the quality of calls to Irish landlines. When I'm indoors at home, it actually exceeds Vodafone.

I started using it today and I'm very impressed with the quality of calls to Irish landlines. When I'm indoors at home, it actually exceeds Vodafone.

You should give your credit to O2.

O2 is excellent in terms of coverage and call quality, but not the rates.......So Lycamobile is a good alternative!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Picked up two Sims for a fiver in Waterford, new plan apparently giving unlimited texts on all plans with double top up, unlimited internet but rep didnt know of any cap, and free lycra to lycra calls! Wasnt told it was a temporary offer but good deal either way! Confirmed its on the o2 network also

Major frustration on the Lycamobile call quality....

From yesterday to now, I frequently got dropped out in the middle of a call and "network error" when trying to get the balance via "*131#".......This is too bad....

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

visit their website. All the details are there - shops selling them, latest offers, etc.
    But, their offers are limited to few - 1 or 2 - months. But, most of the offers having been given since their launch are being extended for few more months once they are reaching the expiry date. Additional offers have been coming every month; these are again for few months and getting extended. Really confused :confused: about this strategy.

mac.in wrote: »
    visit their website. All the details are there - shops selling them, latest offers, etc.
    But, their offers are limited to few - 1 or 2 - months. But, most of the offers having been given since their launch are being extended for few more months once they are reaching the expiry date. Additional offers have been coming every month; these are again for few months and getting extended. Really confused :confused: about this strategy.

They are quite confusing but the savings are considerable without signing up to anything. I've only spent about €2 in the past week and I've made landline calls gratuitously in that time.

They are quite confusing but the savings are considerable without signing up to anything. I've only spent about €2 in the past week and I've made landline calls gratuitously in that time.

Yes. U R right. They are confusing but competitive at the moment. Let's watch for how they cut their edge in the future. Hope they will remain more or less with the same competitive offers. Myself too using Lyca at the moment, however have kept the other number also as backup.

Guys, have you ever been cut off in the middle of a call on the Lycamobile?????

I will not continue to use Lycamobile is this is happening over and over again....

Guys, have you ever been cut off in the middle of a call on the Lycamobile?????

I will not continue to use Lycamobile is this is happening over and over again....

I haven't come across such a problem, nor my other friends who uses Lyca. It appears strange; I can't say conclusively if that (your) kind of problem exists/not though.

• Advertisement

I haven't come across such a problem, nor my other friends who uses Lyca. It appears strange; I can't say conclusively if that (your) kind of problem exists/not though.

Looks like this is happening during the weekend when international call traffic is busy....

Try Lycamobile during the weekend at midnight (considering the time difference) and see if you may encounter this problem....

Looks like this is happening during the weekend when international call traffic is busy....

Try Lycamobile during the weekend at midnight (considering the time difference) and see if you may encounter this problem....

I'll try and let u know. Do you mean midnight at UTC+1.

I'll try and let u know. Do you mean midnight at UTC+1.

Yes, midnight at UTC+1 during weekend. This is when my call constantly get cut off or connection failure and the USSD code "*131#" does not work, either.

Complete network failure, I would say....

• Registered Users Posts: 12 roibeard

Freefone, Callsave & Lo-call numbers don't work e.g. 1800XXXXXX, 19XX, 1850XXXXXX, 1890XXXXXX). I have emailed to ask for guidance on this.

Also - note that the data connection doesn't seem to facilitate VPN connections.

I also have an O2 phone and side by side, the signal seems better on O2 (with a Nokia handset) than Lycamobile (with an iPhone 4). This may be a device difference, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

roibeard wrote: »
    Freefone, Callsave & Lo-call numbers don't work e.g. 1800XXXXXX, 19XX, 1850XXXXXX, 1890XXXXXX). I have emailed to ask for guidance on this.

Also - note that the data connection doesn't seem to facilitate VPN connections.

I also have an O2 phone and side by side, the signal seems better on O2 (with a Nokia handset) than Lycamobile (with an iPhone 4). This may be a device difference, of course.

yeah, im waiting to see what their long term packages are before i port my number

i think the signal is phone specific, Nokias have the best radios on them

• Registered Users Posts: 21 flaviu

I really want to give this a try. Vodafone have screwed me over so many times!! In one holiday abroad i payed 40 euro for data, even though i never used data, only wifi and it seems the phone itself connects to the internet for some automatic minute data transactions.. but it doesn't matter if it's 2 kb or 48 mb... they still charge you 12 euro for using the service (WHAT A RIP-OFF!!) Yeah, they have some sort of 2 Euro deal. Then My internet Settings are always messed up, i have to use WAP connection (very slow) in order to not get charged.

Say what you want about lyca, i've had horrible experiences (including VERY bad and misinformed customer service) with Vodafone. A really funny thing... they could never tell me where my prepaid credit went, NEVER... bloody incompetents! It's been better since i'm on a 30day plan, but i'm still not happy with them.

I'm giving this a try, i have a friend who uses it to call abroad and he's never had problems so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

vicM wrote: »
    yeah, im waiting to see what their long term packages are before i port my number

i think the signal is phone specific, Nokias have the best radios on them

I've just got going with them.And had a dropped call on my very first call. Funny enough I find the signal better on a Nokia 6151 than on any of the unlocked Androids in the house.
    I think their strategy is likely to remain as is for the next 6 months at least. That is how they set up in the UK. Have a look at their .co.uk site and you will see how they have evolved. Still damn good value. though and if they iron out their teething problems, they could well shake up the market. Hopefully the won't go the way of Justmobile .................:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

i ordered a sim , i try it on €5 for few months and see how it goes, seems they change things alot according to people here, unlimited is good for €30 per mth , i be tempted but wondering would it get higher as they get more customers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

i ordered a sim , i try it on €5 for few months and see how it goes, seems they change things alot according to people here, unlimited is good for €30 per mth , i be tempted but wondering would it get higher as they get more customers ?

How are you finding it, I ma thinking of joining the.
    Just to be sure will 5e topup get you another 5e which means 150min calls 5000 txts and up to 9gb of data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

mobile network is too slow, and its only 9gig (it say unlimited in add) as compare to emobile 15gig

Advertisement