Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish passport for English wife

Options
  • 23-06-2019 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

My wife, born in England, (her grandfather was Irish) has a British passport. Living and working in ROI 20 plus years.

I'm Irish, is my wife directly eligible for an Irish passport? Or would she have to apply for Irish Citizenship and then apply for an Irish passport?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Your wife would either have to establish that she was already Irish or be naturalised to get an Irish passport.

She can probably get one through her grandfather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Hi all.

My wife, born in England, (her grandfather was Irish) has a British passport. Living and working in ROI 20 plus years.

I'm Irish, is my wife directly eligible for an Irish passport? Or would she have to apply for Irish Citizenship and then apply for an Irish passport?

Thanks

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html#l091af

See 'Foreign Births Register' section.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Hi all.

Thanks

Foreign births register.
    https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/citizenship/born-abroad/registering-a-foreign-birth/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Hi all.

Thanks
    Only an Irish citizen can get an Irish passport. Your wife could explore whether she is entitled to citizenship on the basis of her descent and, if not, she can apply for naturalisation in the usual way. I would have thought her prospects are good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement