Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a Nightclub Bouncer

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 57 Verified rep I'm a nightclub bouncer, AMA

In your experience in any of the venues you've worked in, which types of fights are more difficult to deal with, a group of females or a group of males?

With males there's the obvious challenge of the average man being stronger but with females some of the one's I've seen were vicious with hairpulling etc. Also I'd imagine you'd have to be more careful using force whilst trying to restrain a female?

I find with the females that they usually stop straight away when they see security, and if they don’t a good roaring to will stop them.
    When it comes to males, it’s much more like that you’ll end up getting a punch/head it yourself.

You’re also right that we have to be much more careful with females, as many of the restraints can’t be used as our hands would be on an inappropriate body part. Thankfully we have several female security to help us in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,023 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We usually don’t search, but when we do we search absolutely everyone.

I’d certainly be reporting that member of security to the PSA if he did that to me.

Thanks.
    It was just unusually the way he used do it.
    I'm a guy and I'm below average in height and probably looked an easy target.
    It's just struck me as unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There was a bouncer in town that use to refuse me no matter what.

We were in this club most weeks so we're regulars and I mean this, I never caused trouble in don't way but I was and am a big guy.

Maybe this had something to do with it I don't know as the other bouncers were sound.

We would just go around the corner and go in the other door.

I would be watched a lot by this guy so always wondered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Are there ever scenarios where somebody takes you by surprise. For example someone causing trouble but they're not the biggest toughest looking guy and you think you'll be easily able to get them off the premises but surprise you by the physical force they put up?

Also do bouncers have a long memory of people who have been caught causing trouble if it's a common occurrence how do you remember them all?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If it's down to you been knocked to the floor or seriously hurt will you go full on to take the other person out?

I don't mean kill as that of course would be extreme but stranger things have happened unfortunately.

I've been assaulted a few times in my line of work but also the odd one on a night out.

I've been hit from behind on a few occasions too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

When I used go to clubs in Cork a few years ago. The bouncers were fine and I never had any hassle with them really.
    What's the procedure for searching guys going in tough?

So, some of the bouncers might give you a pat down but they stopped when they got to know you.
    One guy tough used grab my crotch and squeeze it. He'd sometimes pat you down as well. On one occasion he walked down to me in the queue and did it and also did it to a friend. Was this normal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8jGTF-XKZg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

TL/DR: Do you refuse admission on appearance alone?

Was only once refused entry to a club by a bouncer for being drunk. I wasn't....was the designated driver for the group that night. For some reason she took a dislike to me out of a group of five. Only reason I can think of is that I had long hair for a man (I'm a metal-head btw). Wasn't badly dressed or smelly lol.

Anyway, I left and walked to the nearest ATM to get some cash and came back. This bouncer was gone. Spoke to the other three lads at the door and they let me in without a problem. They said that she was always picking on different people for no reason.

Was walking through the club, me with a glass of water in hand, and met her. She recognised me and straight away and asked me to leave. I went with her to the door and in front of the other bouncers, I asked her why. "Because you are drunk" was her answer again. Thankfully the rest of the bouncers stood up for me and said that I wasn't drunk and was only drinking water. Her response was "I don't like men with long hair, they are always troublemakers!". The manager was called and I was told to enjoy my night and that I'd be welcome back anytime.

Heard a week or two later that she had been sacked and no other club would hire her as she had caused so many similar problems.

So, have you or your colleagues refused entry on appearance alone or on some silly prejudice?

BTW, I have great respect for door staff, and frontline staff in general - you guys have to deal with the worst of the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Are you and other bouncers aware that a PSA licence grants you zero extra or special powers? Are you worried about being taken to court for assault or for a breach of the Equal Stauts Act?

Do ask permission before touching someone for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Great AMA

Have you ever been in a situation where you've thrown out someone or refused someone where it has become physical and in the struggle you've hurt the person? Obviously in that struggle things can happen and by complete accident they've fallen and bust a lip or hit their head etc etc.

How would you deal with a situation like this? have you thought to yourself "I've really ****ed up here"?

If you have, have those people or if you've known anyone in a similar situation been worried that you or the venue would be sued?

also if situations like that have happened would many of the claims result in a payout or be thrown out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If your name's not down are you definitely not coming in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I hope Boards play the National Anthem at the end of this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I have no question at the moment. But I'll hang around as the thread is closing and will try to get one answered then.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ Cohen Flat Ragamuffin

I've just today been granted my PSA licence, any advice on what to expect? I'm leaning towards either Door Supervisor or even a mobile patrol driver. Haven't applied as yet. I do have previous experience but it was pre PSA days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

If there was an altercation 30 or 40 yards down the street and one person was obviously gettimg badly beaten,would you intervene or ignore cos its not on the premises?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Great thread. I was a doorman for 10+ yrs in Dublin City, 99.9% of the clientele were fantastic and you'd get the odd punter who just wouldn't give up.
    My motto was treat people the way you'd like to be treated, and it stood by me thankfully.
    My question is..I'm not sure how long you are working as a doorman? But since you started have you noticed a increase of people's attitude as in more aggressive be it through drink or other substances?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭username2013

How have you found working with female bouncers? I know as a former patron of various clubs in Ireland, I found some (not all) to be very aggressive. It was almost as if they were over compensating and felt a need to try and impose themselves. I would understand that to a certain extent, but it certainly did not make for a pleasant experience as a club goer. In fairness it's been a while since I have been going clubbing in Ireland so things may be a lot more professional now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I've just today been granted my PSA licence, any advice on what to expect? I'm leaning towards either Door Supervisor or even a mobile patrol driver. Haven't applied as yet. I do have previous experience but it was pre PSA days.

Isn't the door licence different to the static licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Hi there, great thread.

Whats the strangest reason someone has given you to try and get in, you know like "my brothers in there and hes forgotten his diabetic medicine" type thing ?

Whats the strangest activity you have found going on in the club ?

Has Conner ever been to your club, if so what was it like ?

What time do you get to sleep on a sunday morning, do you all have a drink afterwards ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ Cohen Flat Ragamuffin

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Isn't the door licence different to the static licence?

I have both.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭J Cheevor Loophole

Full moon... more spacers about ? or do you notice ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Full moon... more spacers about ? or do you notice ?

OMG I tend bar for the past 15 years, am an atheist and sceptic and I KNOW it has to be confirmation bias but still it feels true :pac:

Just a quick thanks for the read. Worked in nightclubs for many years as a short ass male bartender I also got thought my best lesson I still use today by a bouncer now I work in a small pub. The "Can I have a quick word with ya outside" kickout :pac:

If you could change any one thing in the industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭trellheim

Whats the hourly rate these days or for an evening's work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thanks for doing the AMA, pretty interesting reading so far.

You mentioned earlier that a rugby crowd can be more trouble than a soccer crowd. Why is this, in your experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

As an aside, there's a very funny clip from Foil Arms & Hog that you might like. If you're not too sensitive about cliches that are thrown at bouncers, look up their sketch on two gay bouncers going on a blind date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

do you stop lads from entering out of fear they could be tough to handle like what is the real reason for refusing a group of lads if they aren’t intoxicated and if club isn’t full?

Ive always had good experiences with bouncers. They'd be the 'buddy' on the door for our regular places.

But obviously I have been going to certain places so long there would have been occasions i had to be dragged out probably blind drunk (not proud!) and understandbly so. But wed just laugh it off the next time I am there.

How often do you 'catch' people taking drugs etc in bathrooms, do you go into bathrooms intentionally trying to catch people?

I know in places i have been before the bouncers would be watching people come in and out all night and once they get a *sniff* of any suspicious activity they're on it right away to drag the person out.

We don’t go out of our way to catch people taking drugs, but we do keep an eye on it.

Rosie Rant wrote: »
    How often do you have to deal with someone being too pushy with a member of the opposite sex and harassing them? Do you look out for this sort of behaviour or would you be more focused on stopping fights and trying to spot drug use?

Sometimes you’d come across an individual being too pushy, and the other person could be way to drunk to be getting advances like that. If it’s too out of hand we’ll remove the individual from the premises.

To what degree are females likely to cause trouble compared to males?
    Is the protocol the same for dealing with fighting ladies?
    Have you ever intervened in a row between two partners which isn't necessarily going to kick off in a big way but it is clear that one party is very uncomfortable?

With regard to getting physical, it’s very rare among girls.

If possible we’ll try to get female security but if that’s not possible and they’re tearing shreds out of each other we just have to do what we have to do.

You would often intervene in verbal altercations between couples, but never anything physical.

There was a bouncer in town that use to refuse me no matter what.

We were in this club most weeks so we're regulars and I mean this, I never caused trouble in don't way but I was and am a big guy.

Maybe this had something to do with it I don't know as the other bouncers were sound.

We would just go around the corner and go in the other door.

I would be watched a lot by this guy so always wondered.

It very well could be that this bouncer just isn’t a nice guy.

• Advertisement

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Are there ever scenarios where somebody takes you by surprise. For example someone causing trouble but they're not the biggest toughest looking guy and you think you'll be easily able to get them off the premises but surprise you by the physical force they put up?

Also do bouncers have a long memory of people who have been caught causing trouble if it's a common occurrence how do you remember them all?

You’d be surprised how much of a fight even the smallest individuals can put up, especially with alcohol in the system. It certainly can take you by surprise.

If somebody has done something bad enough to warrant a heavy physical removal, then you can be guaranteed somebody will remember them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement